Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ISIS announces new currency

From CNN:

ISIS is planning to mint its own currency in gold, silver and copper, the group said Thursday.

Its aim is to stay away from the "tyrant's financial system," ISIS said in a statement.
It said it would issue another statement to explain the new currency's exchange rate, and where it can be found.

The currency will include seven coins: two gold, three silver and two copper.

The move is "purely dedicated to God" and will remove Muslims from the "global economic system that is based on
satanic usury," ISIS said.

The group, which calls itself the Islamic State, has seized large swaths of territory in Iraq and Syria.

It seeks to establish an Islamic caliphate in the region

Been done before:

Umayyad Caliphate Abd al-Malik AE Follis Standing Caliph
Obverse: Caliph standing facing, left hand on sheathed sword
Reverse: Steps, long pole in circle
Bronze, 20mm, 2.81gm, Struck AD 685 to 705

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that any of their coinage would not hint of a living figure.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing these coins won't be allowed to sell on eBay.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beating metal, beats beheadings.
  • Options
    This is just an attempt to legitimize themselves, and it will never work.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm guessing these coins won't be allowed to sell on eBay. >>

I'm sure eBayers will find a way. Many Cuban and Sudanese issues selling on eBay each week. It's frustrating because I have a saved search for "south Sudan" and am always getting results for "south Sudan" listings that are in fact Sudan. The Cuban issues are typically listed by date and variety (like "Souvenir peso") so I suspect IF anyone wants to sell ISIS coins they will do the same. They could probably list "Islamic State coin" and get away with it.

To be honest, my friends, I am on the fence about these coins from a collector standpoint. I have many coins from warring African nation start-ups like Katanga, Biafra, etc. and while you might argue those were positive circumstances - and perhaps they were - I am wondering how this is any different. If the coins are only around for a year or two, will they be valuable 20 years later? War happens, many people die, coins get struck. Should I abstain from buying Alexander the Great coins?

To play my own devil's advocate, I do abstain from Nazi coins. None of those German swastika in my house. But other folks collect them ... and they sell ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    we finally found something ISIS and the rest of the world populace can agree on... usury is satanic!!!!!!
  • Options
    I have no objection to swastika coins in my collection, same as I will want some ISIS coins. But only once ISIS joins the Nazis in the history books and my purchasing these coins will neither finance their evil nor finance their comfortable retirement.
    That may mean I never buy the coins as presumably ISIS supporters will make them and will retain plenty of them to sell in years to come (even after ISIS is destroyed). As ISIS is stealing the local inhabitants money (and gold) there is a good chance that the coins will contain blood gold (from murdered owners). If ISIS is destroyed and these coins seized by "the good guys" then I'll buy.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As ISIS is stealing the local inhabitants money (and gold) there is a good chance that the coins will contain blood gold (from murdered owners). … >>

A possibility which I had not considered. Good thinking. The Nazis did not do this? We know they took their POW money and gold, did they use it to strike their coins? I guess there weren't really many WWII gold pieces struck, huh? image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm guessing these coins won't be allowed to sell on eBay. >>

I'm sure eBayers will find a way. Many Cuban and Sudanese issues selling on eBay each week. It's frustrating because I have a saved search for "south Sudan" and am always getting results for "south Sudan" listings that are in fact Sudan. The Cuban issues are typically listed by date and variety (like "Souvenir peso") so I suspect IF anyone wants to sell ISIS coins they will do the same. They could probably list "Islamic State coin" and get away with it.

To be honest, my friends, I am on the fence about these coins from a collector standpoint. I have many coins from warring African nation start-ups like Katanga, Biafra, etc. and while you might argue those were positive circumstances - and perhaps they were - I am wondering how this is any different. If the coins are only around for a year or two, will they be valuable 20 years later? War happens, many people die, coins get struck. Should I abstain from buying Alexander the Great coins?

To play my own devil's advocate, I do abstain from Nazi coins. None of those German swastika in my house. But other folks collect them ... and they sell ... >>

Why is Cuba prohibited on eBay, but offered on Heritage and other sites? The transactions that you see is a fraction of what it could have been. Why isn't there a pre-Castro period and one after? Ebay shouldn't play politics: if other numismatic houses and dealers found a legit way to trade embargo hit Cuban coins and notes, it should do the same.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am beginning to wonder if this story is a hoax or a scheme to market
    NCLT (non-circulating legal tender) coins.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is Cuba prohibited on eBay, but offered on Heritage and other sites? The transactions that you see is a fraction of what it could have been. Why isn't there a pre-Castro period and one after? Ebay shouldn't play politics: if other numismatic houses and dealers found a legit way to trade embargo hit Cuban coins and notes, it should do the same. >>

Although numerous individuals and entities, including the Cuban Numismatic Association, have petitioned eBay and PayPal to not penalize the sale of pre-Castro coins, according to PayPal they can't take the time to verify which coins are pre-Castro and which coins aren't. Coin World published an article on the subject:

www.coinworld.com/numismatic/coins/us-20th-century/ban-at-ebay-on-cuban-coins-angers-collectors.html
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am beginning to wonder if this story is a hoax or a scheme to market
    NCLT (non-circulating legal tender) coins.

image >>

I think its a hoax also, except the idea is to draw a connection between sound money and terrorismimage