Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Roman Republic NEWP

I've loved this design for a long time, even though this has some porosity it's probably the best I would ever be able to afford, anything better gets very high priced when they are available. The reverse design in particular I really love, it is reminiscent of some of the 4th and 5th C. designs by Kimon he did on coins for Syracuse, perhaps not of his quality but still a pleasing design.

ROMAN REPUBLIC. A. Manlius Sergianus, 118-117 BC. AR Denarius (3.57 gm). Helmeted head of Roma / Sol in quadriga raising from waves, sun & moon above. Manlia.1. Cr.309/1. Toned aXF, some toned porosity. Very Rare. Ex.Spink, private sale 2/1/75.

From Seaby's Roman Silver Coins;
The reverse refers to the successes of Cn. Manlius Vulso in Asia and Greece in BC 189-188. He brought into submission the Galatians, concluded a treaty with Antiochus III of Syria and overran Thrace, Macedonia and Epirus. The East is represented by the Sun-god in his chariot.

There is even a book devoted to the campaign, "The Campaign of Cn. Manlius Vulso in Asia Minor" by John D. Grainger. Older accounts describe the campaign as being anything from a private raid to "a necessary piece of police work...a shameful blot on Rome's good name". In any event Vulso returned from the campaign quite rich.

Comments