Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Something About This Medal

Only vaguely connected to my horsey theme; I normally do not collect Pegasi, but the overall design and verbiage fascinated me.

imageimage

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Brandenburg, Prussia? This obv looks like a thaler I've seen but I'm not familiar with the rev.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is Brandenburg Prussia. Also, I believe that the medallist, Wermuth, did design the coinage for Frederick I. So, I think you are on point.

DPOTD
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that Frederic the Great, then?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frederick the Great (Frederick II) was the grandson of Frederick I, who you see on the medal.

DPOTD

<< <i>Frederick the Great (Frederick II) was the grandson of Frederick I, who you see on the medal. >>

I should have already known that. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    So, in the reverse design, it looks like there are two eagles sitting on either side of the Pegasus, on top of the mountains (?). Since this is from Prussia, are those the same eagles that appear in the shields / arms of older German states coins?

This would be the first time I've seen those eagles anywhere else besides the shield design. Pretty cool.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Funny. Now that you point it out, those little eagles atop the rocky precipices have managed to land safely, despite having both feet full with orb and scepter. At least that one on our left seems to be so encumbered.

Perhaps the Prussian eagle, in a demonstration of German engineering and efficiency, had some sort of kickstand apparatus built into its tail?

I love it when symbolic elements of a design find their way into the backgrounds of other designs. It's like "easter eggs" in movie and TV series.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE