Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Caracalla Tetradrachm

One of the types I have wanted is a tetradrachm of Caracalla. Got one at a great price a few months ago.

Caracalla (198 - 217 A.D.)
AR Tetradrachm
SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Seleuceia Pieria
O: Laureate head right.
R: DHMARC EX UPATO D, Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, head turned right.
23mm
14.5g
Prieur 1188; Bellinger 76

Comments

• Options

looks like the obverse says AVT KPA (for autokrator or Imperator) and then ANTONINVS in whatever greek letters make up that name?

do you know what the reverse inscription means?
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pickup. I didn't realize these provincial pieces are made of silver. I have one that is made from Billon.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

looks like the obverse says AVT KPA (for autokrator or Imperator) and then ANTONINVS in whatever greek letters make up that name?

do you know what the reverse inscription means? >>

Nope, still learning,been into ancients almost 5 years but have stuck with imperials. Provincials I havent given full attention to up until this year since I am bored with imperials at this time.
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice pickup. I didn't realize these provincial pieces are made of silver. I have one that is made from Billon. >>

Very early ones were good silver, time went on it got to be billon & then just bronze.
  • Options
    for those that don't know Caracalla is like Caligula, it's just a nickname we use, this one referring to a cloak he used to always wear, no one actually called him that, not to his face anyway
    Antoninus was added to his name to connect him to the great times of Antoninus Pius, Roman names can be weird at times
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neato.

That eagle looks kind of like a frog with wings. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Never saw it as a frog but now I do! image
  • Options
    that eagle takes leg day seriously at the gym