Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Sell as a set, or split up?

First, apologies if this isn't appropriate to ask, but...

My wife and I are expecting baby number 2 next summer, and it's starting to feel like it's time to let some other people enjoy parts of my collection. I'm contemplating selling my NGC/PCGS MS69 silver britannia set (1998-2010) and I was wondering what you guys think about trying to sell it as a set vs. breaking it up. It's a very nice matched set that I spent a lot of time assembling (all MS-69 with the exception of one MS-70), but I would be concerned about limiting my pool of buyers by keeping it all together. Thoughts?

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably get more in the long run splitting them up.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • split 'em up, you can make several people happy with individual pieces whereas you'd be hunting for someone to buy a whole set and if they aren't a collector they aren't going to offer much

there are rare cases where selling multiple numismatic items in one lot makes sense, but this isn't one of them
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to agree. Probably best to split 'em up.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've sold a number of sets. Always net more when sold split up-- but yes, it is more work
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't tootawl collect those and do the registry? I'd seek him out
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barndog on the Darkside? In the wee hours of the morning? That's interesting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Split them up, but if you can afford to wait until the price of silver rises you'll get more money for them.

As NiceCurrency pointed out, there are many more buyers for each piece than there are for the entire set.

If you choose to sell as a complete set, if the cert #'s are matched or some other factor, then use an auction firm like GreatCollections.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Split them up. Sum of the parts is not more than the individual values, probably less due to fewer buyers for the whole set. Pick the ones you can easily replace in the future and sell them. Keep the ones that are scarcer (if that is the case).
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I think we have a quorum. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the opinions, guys!