Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

5 stotinki 1888 opinions....

I recently Bought a 5 st 1888 from CNG auction (R.L.Lissner) . The coin is certified as MS67 and my friend 'Zompels' shot it just perfect....

Comments

• zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭

Fantastic Gem BU Issue , and im wondering .......Why not SP ??
    Congrats vasker image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicest I've ever seen. And the photos are gorgeous. image

I came across a small group of these in a bulk lot, once. All circulated, of course.

If memory serves, these were a one-year type, right? Weren't there two similar denominations? Was there a bigger 10-stotinki as well? And weren't they struck by a foreign mint? Heaton in England, perhaps? Or Berlin?

Neat little coins. They even look good in circulated grades. And an MS67 example... wow. What's the NGC population?

Speaking of small coins with shields and lions in NGC MS67 plastic, I have this one on the way from a seller in Estonia. And it's already sold before I ever saw it- somebody made me an offer about 50% over my cost, so I'm "flipping" it. But I do plan on opening the package to look at it before I send it to its new home.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • The copper nickels of 1888 are 2 1/2 , 5 , 10 and 20 stotinki. All minted in Brussels mint.

It is not rare But in high grades it is difficult. Generallt speaking all Bulgarian coins are difficult in high grades. This is MS67.
  • Based on these pictures I'm surprised it did not get a specimen attribution.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Is it indeed NGC grade? I know Lord M mentioned ATS but I'm not sure the OP specified. I'm curious as our hosts and ATS seem to attribute the "specimen" grades differently, with ATS being the more liberal of the two.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic, wish it was mine.
    I have a few questions:
    What does ATS stand for?
    and, assume it is known that NO SP was made for that year, HOW could it be attributed as a SP
    could it then be designated as "first strike", as some German issues are? or perhaps as Proof?
    Am not sure how anyone could just " decide" on any of these designations without having knowledge of what actually was originally struck?
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic picture wow -

ATS = across the street - so in code that mean CGN backwards as we don't want this thread deleted image
  • sorry , i dont know what means ' ATS ' .

In year 1888 there are SP coins raw and also certified. Somehow NGC decided that this coin in mint state and not specimen.
    I dont know why, my opinion is that it is SP , thats why i uploaded so i can hear different opinions.
    I have seen some SP coins (copper nickels) from Bulgaria and Greece and this one has the qualifications to Be SP.

Vasilis.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>sorry , i dont know what means ' ATS ' . >>

No problem. Scroll up to learn the answer.

<< <i>Am not sure how anyone could just " decide" on any of these designations... >>

SP = specimen proof. When a coin is reported as having been struck with a business die, but clearly has a proof-like finish, it is sometimes designated as specimen proof. Essai and proba coins are typically attributed by PCGS as "SP" regardless of their strike type. For example, I have seen many Heaton Mint examples which were struck in proof, off-the-record, with the "SP" label. I have some Tunisia kharub which are proof-like in appearance, but recorded as having only been struck MS, and they are "SP" in PCGS plastic. Meanwhile, ATS, they are sometimes given "PR" and sometimes "SP" just depends.

<< <i>this one has the qualifications ... >>

Again, it is not always about the strike of the coin but sometimes a matter of what was officially reported, or if the coin is an essai strike.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE