Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German States (Hesse-Darmstadt): silver kreuzer, 1866

German States (Hesse-Darmstadt): silver kreuzer, 1866

KM 339, .1660 silver/.0044 oz, 0.83 g. NGC MS67, cert #2790007-019. Ex-"sergeitero", an eBay member from Estonia, 10/21/14.

Not only is an MS67 grade on a coin that's nearly 150 years old impressive, but I was also taken by the stunning cameo prooflike mint frost on this little coin.

Though I suppose its low silver content would technically make it billon, let's imagine this in comparison to its small silver US counterparts; say an 1866 half dime or silver three-cent piece. Would you be able to purchase one of those for just under a hundred dollars, as I did this coin? No, you wouldn't. You wouldn't be able to touch one of them for under a thousand dollars, and in fact if they were in NGC MS67 plastic, you wouldn't get them for less than several thousand dollars. As of this posting, the NGC population is two, with none finer. I haven't checked the PCGS population, but based on the NGC data, it's relatively safe to assume that this piece is tied with one other for finest known. Perhaps this is not the most inspiring of coin designs, but I've seen worse, and again... just look at that heavy mint frost! This thing looks like a CAM or DCAM proof!

Larger obverse image
Larger reverse image
NGC cert verification page
NGC/Krause priceguide trends

Wikipedia links:
Hesse-Darmstadt
Kreuzer

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Very pretty coin and effective design for such a small space. Congrats!
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice LordM, I think the German States minors are an excellent collecting area, you can still get high grade 19th C. coins for next to nothing. I think I had to pay about $125 for this Prussia piece in MS68.

Also the proof minors are a fantastic value, mintages aren't readily available but probably range from 25-100 for any of them and they can be found very nice for under $250.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JCMH- that MS68 silbergroschen is amazing.

I will have to keep an eye on those proof minors.

Of course I already had an eye open for pretty much all pre-WWI proofs, anyway, as exhibited by the 1913 Saxony 3-mark proof already in my Box of 20.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    That frost is striking! If you'll pardon the pun. The shield is glistening on my screen.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE