Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hammered gold on parade! Post yours! (All ancient and medieval gold!)

The original title to this thread was: "I found the medieval hammered gold piece I've been looking for for a while!"

But since it is taking some time to upload pictures and I'll be launching that in its own thread, I will repurpose this thread and hereby proclaim this a "hammered gold" thread for all to participate in.

Ancient gold counts, too. So now SE1795 can wow us even more.

Let's see your ancient and medieval gold! All pre-milled gold coinage!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see it.

Drop a hint, what country is it from?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't wait to see it.

Drop a hint, what country is it from? >>

I ran it by Andres for advice before pulling the trigger, so there is your hint. image

I have had one of this type in my VCoins wish list for more than six months, but just stumbled across this one yesterday.

It was both nicer and less expensive than the one I'd had my eye on.

And when I saw the toning, I had to have it. You don't see CircCam gold too often!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canada?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    a medieval hammered gold coin from Canada image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    You can never go wrong with hammered gold. Can't wait to see it.
  • Options

<< <i>Canada? >>

Actually, as the 'Shroom may have known, a 1977 Canada gold $100 with the Silver Jubilee reverse was on my short list. I browsed a few, but the ones I looked at either had specks or hairlines or were overpriced. I did find one I sort of liked, but before I spent my money on a modern gold piece I thought I would browse for hammered gold again. And after some searching, I found some European dealers I hadn't been aware of before.

I will upload pix later tonight from work, when I have a decent connection. Our satellite connection out here is presently running slower than the dialup we had in 1999. image

• Options
    Living on the US/Canada border, I've seen a few hammered Canadians.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it!!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Living on the US/Canada border, I've seen a few hammered Canadians. >>

LOL! It's HAMMER time! image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options

I know hardly anything about this time period so I don't think I've actually seen one yet, seems they were hot and heavy into silver usage
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations buddy! May I be the first to wish you a hearty "mazel-tov" image

In honor of your newp - over which we are all anxious to salivate - I humbly submit a pic of my only hammered gold piece.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Living on the US/Canada border, I've seen a few hammered Canadians. >>

I once was a hammered American in Canada! Does that count?

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

<< <i>I once was a hammered American in Canada! Does that count? >>

C.N.A. convention? image

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, if we are going to turn this thread into a parade of hammered gold, here are my two pieces:

Henry VIII half crown

imageimage

James I

imageimage

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options

<< <i>Congratulations buddy! May I be the first to wish you a hearty "mazel-tov" image

In honor of your newp - over which we are all anxious to salivate - I humbly submit a pic of my only hammered gold piece.

image >>

I have always wanted one of those.

Nice ones, harasha.

Hey, a parade of hammered gold- I like the idea. Think I'll change the title of this thread.

• Options
    And here is my newp:

Netherlands (Gelderland): "St. John" type gold gulden (florin) of Arnold van Egmond, ca. 1423-1472

Obverse: St. John the Baptist, standing and facing, "S.IOHANNES-BABTISTA" (lion).
    Reverse: coats of arms, "+ DVX.ARNOLD'.GEL.Z.IVL.Z.COMIS.Z."

• Options

<< <i>And here is my newp:

Netherlands (Gelderland): "St. John" type gold gulden (florin) of Arnold van Egmond, ca. 1423-1472

Obverse: St. John the Baptist, standing and facing, "S.IOHANNES-BABTISTA" (lion).

image >>

Salivating has officially begun. WOWZERS that is a thing of beauty! Approx. 150 years older than my Scottish piece, and more detail IMO. The lettering is easily read and the design stands out very clearly. Good job buddy image

Enjoy her in good health for many years to come image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And here is my newp:

image >>

Oh, that is very nice! The toning and detail is fantastic. If you manage to take a new picture and have both sides slightly more centered, I can put it in a reflection template if you like.

I'll need to go through and collect the images of my ancient gold for a "family shot". I just won two new pieces in the last two days which are some new highlights to my collection, but in the meantime, I'll post this new-to-the-forum Alexander the Great stater. It's technically a duplicate to my distater but I absolutely loved the style and couldn't pass it up:

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options

<< <i>... technically a duplicate to my distater ... >>

The other day I was staring at a gorgeous coin and, in my stupor, uttered a crude comment. My wife said it was very distater-full. image

Sorry I couldn't resist a little late-night humor. Awesome Alexander stater. That bust looks huge! I believe there is more gold in the bust than in the fields. That's crazy awesome.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>If you manage to take a new picture and have both sides slightly more centered, I can put it in a reflection template if you like. >>

Thanks very much for that offer.

This one will be going off for TrueView service. Sometime I might take you up on that offer for the one or two other pieces I have left that arent either in TrueViews or with reflection templates, though?

This is currently my only other piece of non-milled gold.

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I have one of this. Does it qualify as hammered? Not ancient nor medieval...

Keicho Koban
    Early kobans (c.1600) weighed 18 grams of 842 fine gold. Kobans made in the mid-1800s weighed 11.2 grams of 600 fine gold. And the last koban made in the 1860s weighed only 3.3 grams of 600 fine gold. Below is a modern day reproduction of the 1600's Japan Keicho Koban (pic from Panda America)...

1990 struck BU Japan Keicho Koban. This recently issued Japan Mint Keicho Koban commemorative is an impressive size of 75mm x 38mm and weighs 19.5 grams of pure (9999 fine) gold. They are made in the classic way, hand struck with a number of punches indicating the denomination, authority under which it was issued, the mint and the era during which it was produced.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Lovely coin Lord M and that great Scottish hammered looks familiar LochNESS image
  • Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    Gorgeous stater, SmEagle-- and fabulous photo!

I have only one "hammered" gold coin and looks like it suffered further hammering over the years.

Mick Jagger's great^45 grandfather?

Constantine IV Pogonatus, CE 668-685
    AV tremissis, 1.4 gm, 17 mm

Constantinople mint
    Obv: DN CONSTANTINUS PPAG; Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: VICTORIA AVGUS; cross potent; CONOB
    Ref: SB 1161
    from a mostly undescribed mixed lot of Byzantines, Gorny & Mosch Oct 2013

• Options

<< <i>
    Mick Jagger's great^45 grandfather?
    ] >>

• Options

<< <i>Lovely coin Lord M and that great Scottish hammered looks familiar LochNESS image >>

Yes it is lovely and has the bonus of a great pedigree image haha
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few Byzantine coins, all struck in Constantinople, here is one:

Heraclius AU Solidus Victory
    Obverse:
    dN hERACLI-VS PP AVG
    Bust facing with short beard and moustache, wearing plumed helmet, holding cross
    Reverse:
    VICTORIA AVGu E
    Cross potent on three steps, CONOB below
    Metal: Gold, Size: 22mm, Weight: 4.46gm
    Catalog: Sear 731
    Struck: AD 610-613 Constantinople

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Great stuff. I like the "Mick Jagger Ancestral Coin". image

WB2, you should post your Antoninus Pius aureus. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Trozau- I wondered about those Japanese coins, and must confess I don't know a whole lot about how they were made.

Here is my smaller contribution on that front, however:

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My lone hammered gold piece.
    Minted in Constantinople
    Justin II
    565-578 A.D.
  • Options
    A lot more of you than I realized had Byzantine gold tucked away!

Guess I shouldn't be too surprised, since it's relatively affordable for ancient gold. A nice way to hold some very old gold, right? image

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    England, Edward III Noble minted during the Treaty Period ca. 1364-5 when there was a brief peace with France - thus there are no French titles on this coin:

I believe this is my currently oldest gold coin and one that when I purchased it was rather dear.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>when I purchased it was rather dear. >>

Umm... yeah?

I believe that coin has been "rather dear" for all of its six and a half centuries of existence.

Wasn't exactly a piece of chump change back in its own time, and I am unsurprised that it would cost a goodly amount of modern change to purchase.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just found your thread today. In response to your wantlist the early dated gold coins
    are rather available but pricey. The 1437 and 1438 German pieces come with coats of arms.
    The 1490+ German pieces come with St. John the Baptist or the Virgin and Child. The silver
    pieces also have coats of arms or other designs; the fancier the design the more costly
    the piece. A web site, ma-shops.com has usually 30+ pieces listed. Type in the word
    levinson into the search box. Bob Levinson wrote the book "The Early Dated Coins of Europe
    1234-1500". This book is a welcome addition to any numismatic library. I hope this
    helps; PM me if you have any questions. Tibor
  • Options

<< <i>I just found your thread today. In response to your wantlist the early dated gold coins
    are rather available but pricey. The 1437 and 1438 German pieces come with coats of arms.
    The 1490+ German pieces come with St. John the Baptist or the Virgin and Child. The silver
    pieces also have coats of arms or other designs; the fancier the design the more costly
    the piece. A web site, ma-shops.com has usually 30+ pieces listed. Type in the word
    levinson into the search box. Bob Levinson wrote the book "The Early Dated Coins of Europe
    1234-1500". This book is a welcome addition to any numismatic library. I hope this
    helps; PM me if you have any questions. Tibor >>

Thank you. I have the Levinson book, though I have yet to own a single coin listed in it. I have used "Levinson" as a keyword search on VCoins several times. Central Utah Coins seems to sell a lot of early dated material.

The goldgulden I just bought isn't a dated piece, but I'm happy enough with it. Maybe one day I'll have a dated one.

• Options
    Nice coin LordM. Here are a few hammered gold coins from my collection.

India- Gujarat Sultanate: Sham al-Din Muzaffar II, Gold Tanka, G&G G231. AH 920. 11.38g.
    Ex. Paul Stevens Collection.

India- Gujarat Sultanate: Nasir al-Din Mahmud III, Gold Tanka, G&G G412. Fr-590. 11.98g (100 Rati Tanka), 19 mm. AH 958. Undocumented date.

INDIA-Mysore: 1783-1795 AD. Tipu Sultan, Gold Pagoda (3.42 gm; 11 mm). Dated 1198 AH/RY 2. Mint: Patan. KM# 129.

INDIA- Kushan Empire. Vasudeva I (ca. AD 192-225). AV dinar

India-Madras Presidency, ND(1740-1807), 3 Swami Pagoda (1/2 figure deities), Mint: Fort St.George. KM# 304, Pridmore # 3B. Ex.Eric P. Newman Collection

India-Bengal Presidency, Mohur, KM# 31.Pridmore # 217, Stevens# 7.22. Mint: Muhammadabad Banaras. In name of Emperor Shah Alam II. Ex.Gardener Collection.
  • Options
    Nice to see some Eastern stuff. image

I think I'm too Eurocentric in my collecting sometimes.

• Options
    The only piece of gold I own is the Ex: LordM Ex: Eliasberg piece of Zeno

imageimage

and I really like this coin a lot
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and I really like this coin a lot >>

It is image NC

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am amazed that they could make such beautiful coins back then. What did they use for coin dies? What material were they? How did they engrave them? The dies had to be engraved incuse right? What did they use to hammer the coins? Did they heat the planchet so it was easier?

Since I know nothing about hammered coins or ancient coins, can someone point me in the direction of a resource that explains the process? The darkside is fascinating image
  • Options
    Those Indian pieces are lovely!

In responce to LM's request:

Antoninus Pius is my favorite Roman Emperor and when I had the funds to purchase an Aureus,
    I bought this one:

Antoninus Pius Aureus - Standing with Globe
    Obverse:
    Laureate head right
    ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P IMP II
    Reverse:
    Antoninus wearing toga, standing left, holding globe in right hand
    TR POT XIX COS IIII

Size: 19.5mm
    Weight: 7.26gm
    Catalog: RIC 256a
    Struck: AD 155-156, Rome

"He's got the whole world in his hands"

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    that is a fabulous piece WillieBoyd2!
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2019 2:36AM

@NiceCurrency said:
    The only piece of gold I own is the Ex: LordM Ex: Eliasberg piece of Zeno

(Image)

and I really like this coin a lot

(Five-year-belated reply):

Nice to see that one again!

Here 'tis, as seen when it did service as the centerpiece of my once-famous "Holey Gold Hat". :)

(Other coins seen in front are an 1860 $3 piece and an 1834 quarter-eagle.)

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Lord M - great variety. Is the 3rd one from Cologne?

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

3rd coin is the original thread subject - John the Baptist, Netherlands. See his post upthread:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11003156/#Comment_11003156
    4th coin is from Belgium (I cheated and used the Cert #).

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber - oh geez. I suppose an ounce of detective work would have helped. Thanks for setting me straight.

• Options

@worldcoinguy said:

@yosclimber said:

Here's the writeup on that 4th coin. Belgium, yes, though predating the nation of Belgium. It is from Brabant.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/belgium-brabant-gold-florin-carolus-d’or-of-holy-roman-emperor-charles-v-ca-1521-1545.287804/

• Options
    edited November 3, 2019 10:43AM

France's King Louis XI (1461-1483):

France Louis XI Ecu d'or
    Gold, 27 mm, 3.34 gm, Perpignan Mint
    Obverse:
    Shield with three fleur-de-lis on it and crown above
    LVDOVICVS DEI GRA FRANCOR REX
    Reverse:
    Cross with fleur-de-lis at ends, mintmark 'P' in center (Perpignan Mint)
    XPS VINCIT XPS REGNAT XPS IMPERAT (Christ conquers, Christ reigns, Christ commands)

More about King Louis XI who was known as the "Spider King" and who kept wild turkeys as pets
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1016422/louis-xi-the-spider-king-of-france-1461-1483-and-his-pet-turkeys

:)

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2019 5:47PM

@lordmarcovan said:

@worldcoinguy said:

@yosclimber said:

Here's the writeup on that 4th coin. Belgium, yes, though predating the nation of Belgium. It is from Brabant.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/belgium-brabant-gold-florin-carolus-d’or-of-holy-roman-emperor-charles-v-ca-1521-1545.287804/

KAROLVS D G ROM IMP, pretty cool.