Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

QUIZ: Matching! [answers revealed]

Hey gang. I have enjoyed the liteside quizzes over the years, so I make one for us. Why should they have all the fun?!

We have monarchs, birds, ships, shields, famous icons ... toners, crusty, proofs, matte satiny business strikes! Many categories to please all types! From all corners of the globe including famous world powers and the obscure!

Matching game means you must pair each image with the correct nation. Scroll down for the images, followed by the list of nations underneath. Let the games begin!

=======

Here is a link to the large file in case you wish to zoom.

Here is the forum-friendly size:

POSSIBLE ANSWERS: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Bavaria, Bhutan, Biafra, Bulgaria, British Honduras, Cambodia, Canada, Gabon, Gardiner's Island, Great Britain, Guyana, Israel, Japan, Latvia, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Peru, Ukraine, United States of America

PS: Sorry the answers are top-heavy in alphabet. I got lost in my work, and by the time I got to Canada it was already huge so I started skipping around a bit image
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat idea. Sorta like the Krause "Instant Identifier" section, without the answers.

Does each person tackle them all at once, or shall we take 'em on in numerical order?

I could immediately name most but by no means all of them.

I suspect you've laid a few traps for us, too. Like Saint George from a gold Sovereign... but from which country?

Let's start at the beginning.

Number One is Imperial Germany, but I don't see generic "Germany" as one of the options listed, so I'll say that's the coin from Bavaria.

I'll let someone else do Number Two.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Nobody for Number Two? Well, it is rather early, yet.

That one's easy enough: it's Japan.

I don't want to blow the whole quiz before everyone gets here.

Not that I could. I know most of these but there are a handful I'd have to scratch my head over, or crack a book for.

Actually, with the list provided above, and only needing to match them, I believe I could do this one without cracking a book.

But I'll let someone else have a shot.

Next?

PS- hey, Nessie- you gonna post the full coin pix when this is done? I'd sort of like to see some of them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    #3 is Peru
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
    #4 is Latvia.

#5 gets trickier, because a QE2 portrait like that offers us a couple of possibilities on the list.

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Neat ... Does each person tackle them all at once, or shall we take 'em on in numerical order? >>

Thanks but I can't take credit for the concept. This is the most common game I've seen on lite side. Except they usually don't do matching - it's pictures only! But they have it much easier than we, so I felt matching was necessary.

The idea is that you try to get all 23 answers. Each guesser can guess all 23 at once! image

<< <i>I suspect you've laid a few traps for us, too. >>

I tried to make it doable, but not too easy image

These are all from my OFEC set, so I can definitely post the full images once the answers are revealed. Some are nicer than others. I tried to use coins that are attractive and interesting and common enough to guess ... Not always an easy combination.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    # 5 is Canada
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
    Feel free to guess them all in one post image For those of you just tuning in, here are the current guesses by Lord M and NYGiants:

1. Bavaria
    2. Japan
    3. Peru
    4. Latvia
    5. Canada
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• #6 Bulgaria ( perhaps even from 5 leva 1894)
    #7 Austria (Maria Theresa)
    #8 British Honduras
    #9 Australia (???)
    #10 Gardiner's Island
    #11 Biafra
    #12 Cambodia
    #13 Israel
    #14 Gabon
    #15 New Zealand
    #16 Bahrain
    #17 GB
    #18 Luxembourg
    #19 USA
    #20 Guyana
    #21 Andorra
    #22 Ukraine
    #23 Bhutan
    Now we have a game! And hey, image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• << <i>#4 is Latvia.

#5 gets trickier, because a QE2 portrait like that offers us a couple of possibilities on the list. >>

So you work around it by eliminating the Commonwealth countries that match other coins. Number 15 is the bark Endeavour so that is NZ.
    Number 9 might be a red herring. That date and shape was used for fantasy coins similar to the 1920 halfpenny patterns from Australia.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From this post, I've learned that I know very little about world coins. I'll go cower in the corner with my ancients image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

• Cool idea!

#7 = Austria, I think?

<< <i>From this post, I've learned that I know very little about world coins. I'll go cower in the corner with my ancients image >>

I wanted to include at least one ancient and one taler, but the ancients I own aren't in great condition except for a very recent purchase from Lord M (which seemed too recent to include as he had it plastered on the boards for weeks). And I don't own any talers, so yeah ...

Don't worry this is my first game not my last game image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

<< <i>Number 15 is the bark Endeavour so that is NZ. >>

I tried to select icons and symbols which have become synonymous with their nation (in the numismatic universe). I appreciate your comment because it means I did a good job on at least one! image

Is anyone looking at the larger file? The detail on some is really cool. #15 for example, the ship has many details which I never noticed before.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Before I post the answers ...

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    who is this newbie know it all poster with ONE measly post and he puts us all to shame? image

• << <i>From this post, I've learned that I know very little about world coins. I'll go cower in the corner with my ancients image >>

No kidding, I think #2 is Japan and #23 is Bhutan and that's all I'm confident on
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    1. Bavaria
    2. Japan
    3. Peru
    4. Latvia
    5. Canada
    6. Bulgaria
    7. Austria
    8. British Honduras
    9. Australia
    10. Gardiner's Island
    11. Biafra
    12. Cambodia
    13. Israel
    14. Gabon
    15. New Zealand
    16. Bahrain
    17. Great Britain
    18. Luxembourg
    19. United States
    20. Guyana
    21. Andorra
    22. Ukraine
    23. Bhutan
    Thanks to everyone for playing. I enjoyed making this little quiz and appreciate your participation. Perhaps I will make another someday. Meanwhile, there was interest in seeing the original photos of my coins. So here are the answers / photos:

1. Bavaria

2. Japan

3. Peru
    *Sold this in August to a forumite

4. Latvia

5. Canada
    *Sold this piece last year(?) to a forumite

6. Bulgaria

7. Austria

8. British Honduras

9. Australia

10. Gardiner's Island

11. Biafra

12. Cambodia
    *Sold this in August to a forumite

13. Israel

14. Gabon

15. New Zealand

16. Bahrain

17. Great Britain

18. Luxembourg

19. United States

20. Guyana

21. Andorra

22. Ukraine

23. Bhutan
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    My compliments to bcbgboy / Dennis , all 23 are spot on.
    What did they win ? image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
    Bragging rights, the respect of their peers, and a sense of pride image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE