Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Krause values for German Fed Rep marks

dated 1950 thru 1964 seem very high considering their mintages. Can anyone explain?
Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
My Ebay

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They did circulate for an awful long time. Might have been few collectors for them other then the proof issues.

That's just me speculating.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Way overpriced in the catalog. Even true mint state coins (MS-65 and up) will often be available cheaper. True MS-67's are rare and might command those prices. Might is the key-word. In addition to that Germans are really picky which could be another reason for the high prices as such pieces may not even exist.

Dennis
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect the true high end MS population (MS65 and higher) is thin but the demand is likely thin as well. This is an interesting series, I am just not sure how many collectors there are.

I tend to agree that the Krause price are alittle high except for really high end coins

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I suspect the true high end MS population (MS65 and higher) is thin but the demand is likely thin as well. This is an interesting series, I am just not sure how many collectors there are.

I tend to agree that the Krause price are alittle high except for really high end coins >>

The only thing scarcer than the coins seem to be anyone who wants them.

In my experience these are highly elusive even down to high end VF in many cases. Anything
    that wasn't saved before the mid-'70's got alot of wear and not much was saved. No mint sets
    were made until 1974 because there was no demand.

The East German base metal coins are even scarcer for the early years and some of these aren't
    seen at all except as culls.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I've been keeping an eye out for attractive, high-grade East (GDR) coins for many years. My problem is I keep coming across the West (BRG) coins. They seem to be everywhere. I've got some key dates according to Krause, so I do hope the valuations stick when I try to sell them, but I'm not understanding the logic. They may be scarce in Europe but we seem to have enough here in USA.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Not a great area to focus on now, but definitely an area to focus on for the future….?!!

-Dan