Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Need a little help for a US coin guy?

Never been to the darkside before but this piece has me stumped......any help appreciated.
Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM

Comments

• AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Its a token/medal of the german city of Bonn, former Capital and seat of the west german government between 1949-1999
    after the fall of the Berlin wall, it was decided in 1991, that Berlin would be the Capital and seat of government once again.
    after an extensive renovation , mainly of the Eastern (former russian) part of Berlin, costing billions of dollars, Berlin became
    Capital and seat of Government in 1999.
    beneath the 900 (silver or gold contence ??)
    It reads: House of the Bundespresident.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    thank you.........any idea why these were issued and how many and by who?
    Steve

What do you think ? is it gilded silver or brass , diameter ? weight? is there something struck in the rim ?
    I did a quick search on eBay Germany, no luck.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    It weighs exactly 1/4 ounce and test at 90% gold....nothing stuck in rim.
    Steve

• Hi,

can not help you about the token, never saw like that before, but about the building. Is calleed "Villa Hammerschmidt" and was the residence of the president from Germany until 1994.
    Now is still the second adress from the president.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammerschmidt_Villa

Eric
    collector from Germany
    Yes, Villa Hammerschmidt, nicknamed the White House of Germany.

I did some more research, nothing came up, this looks a private issue, countless numbers of these private issues were made, you need a german expert in this field.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I have not seen something like this either. I wonder if the .900 gold is surface only or is it solid?Just maybe this was made and sold for tourists visiting the area.

We will see if anyone else can chime in to offer insight.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee