Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Guatemalan Experimental Proofs?

Years ago I bought on ebay a few coins described as experimental strikes, which I knew nothing about, except I liked the way they look, I have been to Guatemala and have some positive sentiments about the country. I can find nothing in Search, and I have wasted hours trying unsuccessfully to post pics here, even using the test forum. Best I can do: each coin is !.5" in diameter (silver dollar size?), one side of each coin has"Republic of Guatemala" curving across the top, with the coat of arms -wreath, crossed swords, quetzal bird, and a scroll with "Libertad es Septiembre de 1821" centered, and curving across the bottom is the denomination. On the other side is art and a date 1995 on each. I have 1Quetzal coin with El Lago de Atitlan minted with a hummingbird, the lake, and a volcano. I have 3 1Q coins with the notation on the 2x2 as "GP" (gold plated?, Cu/Ni, and Alum. I have a 10Q with a pic of the bird and a temple "El Quetzal". I have 2 50Q coins identical except one noted CU and the other Sil. Each has a pic of a parrot worded "Guacamaya". All coins have a prooflike finish, and I can probably manage to email pics, as I know how to do that, if someone needs more info, but I have been overly specific in describing these. Mostly I can't believe I can't find anything about these. Thanks all.
"If someone says 'A penny for your thoughts' and you give them your 2 cents worth, what happens to the extra penny?" G.Carlin

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe these are examples of privately-issued "patterns" made in the UK by a firm whose name is International Numismatic Agency, Ltd. Most of them have a mintage of 100 pieces, and are struck in various metals. Some are colored.

They made many patterns for Cuba and Guatemala, although they also made some for other countries.

The company must have gone bust, as Glendinnings had a sale consisting solely of this material around 1997 (before they too disappeared). I ran across my copy of the catalog a few weeks ago while packing for my move, but it's now packed and in storage.

London Coins seems to auction this material continually. I wouldn't pay much for any of them.
  • Options
    Well, thanks much for that. I did not pay much for them, but picked them up because I thought they were stunning in appearance. My intention - loosely formed at the time -was to take them to the country when I returned - see if there was any interest from anyone, and I was prepared to gift them to any kind souls I met, like I did last time in 1986, which was a very discomforting time to be there. I have not returned, but may yet. I also have many items in storage I may never read again, but I will Googe all you supplied, and I would be interested, if your catalogs find their way out of storage, what they say. thanks again.
    "If someone says 'A penny for your thoughts' and you give them your 2 cents worth, what happens to the extra penny?" G.Carlin