Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1930 British Crown-Mintage 4,487 coins

Here's a type you don't see very often.

I grade this as XF/AU. There's a decent amount of luster visible and I don't really see that much wear. A type that had incredibly low mintages (anybody know why?) and is not all that easy to find. Now, for the real question, what should I reasonably expect to get for this coin? I put it up on eBay for $499.95 (best offer enabled) and had expected at least some interest but nobody even looked at the thing in 12 hours. Am I missing something?

Dennis

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might know more than a bit about these.
    First: They are ugly IMO, and evidently to others
    Second: They represented a LOT of money at time of issue
    Third: Never really designed for circulation (and didn't anyway)
    Fourth: Most given as Christmas presents according to available literature
    Fifth: Few melted, most survive in EF and better condition
    Sixth: .500 fine, not sterling .925
    Seventh: As you have seen, very low demand and no changes in the last 30 yrs
    (except the 1934 which briefly spiked to 5k+ pounds in unc. and now residing)
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    Oh, the price more like 300-350 or so....
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not see them as ugly- I do think you are spot on with the $300-350 estimate

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too do not find the design ugly at all.

Even Georgie the Fifth looks rather distinguished.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I would say it has seen rather too much circulation for a coin that didn't circulate. There's a lot of wear to George, the tip of his moustache is going as is his eyebrow, plus the hair is starting to lose detail. On the reverse the bar has gone frome the orb and some of the pearls are flatening. The centre of the roses and the thristles are showing a bit of wear also. All in all a bit knocked about. I'd give it about GVF by UK grading. There's too many around in much better condition to make it a must have coin.
    I think a number became "pocket pieces".... Uggh, sounds disgusting!

BTW, many of the specimens graded and sold as "VIP (Record) Proof", even by our hosts, are in fact currency specimens with PL characteristics. There has been much written, even in UK auction catalogues put out by major firms that is incorrect.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not trying to throw salt in the wound, but is that PVC at 2:00 on the obverse and between the elements of the left fleur inside the crown on the reverse? Several other spots seem to be more advanced PVC damage as well.

Even if it's not, just the fear that it may be might keep some buyers from wanting it.

If it were mine, I'd give it a very good acetone bath.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not trying to throw salt in the wound, but is that PVC at 2:00 on the obverse and between the elements of the left fleur inside the crown on the reverse? Several other spots seem to be more advanced PVC damage as well.

Even if it's not, just the fear that it may be might keep some buyers from wanting it.

If it were mine, I'd give it a very good acetone bath. >>

It's actually soaking in acetone as we speak.

I've decided to end the buy-it-now and list it at auction sometime within the next couple of days (probably with new pictures). I bought the coin very right, and unless it goes extremely cheap I will make money. This is not my usual cup of tea (if I do any British it usually is higher grade half pennies and pennies and George III and earlier milled stuff in higher grade) so I figured I might as well make it go away. Usually when I list a lower mintage coin such as this on eBay I get at least a few offers reasonably quick but none of that in this case, which made me wonder if I was missing something (authenticity in particular).

Thanks everyone for your help. And oh, if it matters anything, I actually kind of like the attractiveness of the type.

Dennis
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have bought a few. I think it is a fun series to collect- I just do not see ones that I really like often.

There is a question for proofs beyond the date of 1927- sort of interesting that even experts can disagree on whether one is proof or even what the proof characteristics are.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.