Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Churchill Crown- Double Die Update and request for help please

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
Good morning- Its time once again for another Churchill Crown post.

I posted a question on a UK coin forum- Predecimal Forum- in connection with a Churchill Crown and whether there has been a reported double die at Churchill's portrait.

I did look at one long enough to notice there there was doubling at Churchill's outer eyebrow and the doubling continues (with varying degrees) down his nose and lips and ending with perhaps the most significant doubling at his chin. I can appreciate that pictures would be helpful and even needed to have a reasonable discussion. I suspect the first question is going to be whether this is machine doubling. I tend to doubt it given the look of the chin as well as the outer eyebrow. In view of the fact that the Churchill Crown is nearly 50 years old, I would have thought someone would have noticed/discovered this already. Does anyone here have any information or even a recollection of a Churchill Crown double die?

I know... this is strange, but I only write what I see.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you - first time hearing about the doubling on Churchill.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭
    The coin's pretty ugly in the first place..........

I'd hate to think of what it would look like as a double-die!!imageimage
  • Options
    So could Churchill have 4 chins instead of 2? He was never a handsome man to begin with and the pounds of age made him even less attractive,
  • Options
    Just a brief update:

ICG graded the Churchill Crown and recognized the Double Die

It graded MS65

I am not sure if there are others that have been graded. I think it is possible ANACS could have graded one years ago

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet find.

http://www.thestujoecollection.com/rccmint/crown/crown.htm

There is reference to hub doubling found by ken potter in that link.

I'm amazed Ajaan didn't find one looking through all of the ones he did to find a high grade. Congrats on your DD
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Photos! image. The coin is not yours? image

Don't ever let "50 years old" rule out the possibility of a new discovery. After all, some lucky USA collector discovered a new Ike die marriage variety in 2013.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Yes- it is my coin that was bought in an auction lot about three months- I did not see it at the time of purchase and was not the coin of interest in the lot at the time.

The lesson remains one never knows unless one looks.

• Options

A funny thing happened today. I went through a box of mostly junk today that I probably haven't looked at in 15 + years. So I came across three Churchill crowns. And I even said as I looked at the first one...Wouldn't it be funny if this where a double die? And it was... This makes the second. This one is not as nice as the first... But still worthy of submitting. What are the chances?

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

image?????

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

I would not be able to capture the points of interest in an image. I did not go to the Ken Potter link provided by StrikeoutXXX earlier in this somewhat older thread. I suspect thar describes the pick up points and I sort of mentioned what to look for... The outer eyebrow, nose and beneath extending down to the chin

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Link no good

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

Sorry ajaan I looked... Went to Ken Potters website and could not find anything. I believe he did an article in Coin World in the early 1980's about this coin

• Options

Good afternoon Funseekers:

Unfortunately I have yet to find the article in either Numismatic News or Coin World- authored by either Ken Potter or Alan Herbert. The article is well written and featured excellent photos of the pick up points I have described- If anyone recalls the article, could you please add the publication and date it appeared. And if you have access to the article... posting it here would be greatly appreciated- Many thanks

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

With no photo and just verbiage describing portions of the portrait doubled, it is probably die deterioration doubling, not MD. If the doubling is found on the highest portions of the relief design, it's just a tired die that is wearing out.

• Options

One of the two has been recognized and graded as a double die. The other is currently pending. The real issue is whether the one I found in 2014 is a discovery coin. And all I am trying to do is be certain the discovery and history behind the discovery is credited to the correct numismatist which I think is either Ken Potter or Alan Herbert. The article in either Coin World or Numismatic News that I am trying locate basically is the story behind the coin.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe World Coin News?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.