Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

The Inauguration and Naming of the Colosseum

The primary goal of my collection is to tell our shared history through aesthetic coins. Many aspects of antiquity are represented in different ways by multiple coins which fit together well and form small sets. I have so far acquired two of the primary coins related to the Colosseum and am still waiting to add one other major representative type. In the meantime, I can now tell a more cohesive story so I felt it appropriate to post my newly paired acquisitions.

This coin was minted to commemorate the inauguration of the Colosseum and was likely personally distributed by the Imperials to key spectators. It depicts the most famous landmark of Ancient Rome: the Colosseum, an amphitheater built to a scale which remained unmatched for another 1,800 years.

Shown on the left of the coin is the Meta Sudans and, on the right, the famous Baths of Titus. One can see tiers of spectators within and a central arch which represents the Imperial Box, all carefully engraved from a bird’s-eye view.

Engraved and minted immediately following its completion in 80 AD, this type is the most accurate, original depiction of the Colosseum in any medium. Various minor changes were made by later emperors until it was severely damaged in 217 by lightning. Elagabalus and Gordian III worked to restore it, completing the repairs in 244. The Colosseum was used for hundreds of years, surviving a series of earthquakes in 442 and 470, with additional restorations completed in 523 by the Germanic conquerors of Rome. However, after an earthquake in 847, no further attempts to restore it were made, and it remains in the same state today.

A dedicatory inscription was discovered in 2001 which reads, “Imp T. Caes. Vespasianus Aug. Ampitheatrum Novum Ex Manubis Fieri Iussit”. This translates to “The Emperor Titus Caesar Vespasian Augustus had this new amphitheater erected with the spoils of war”. This finding matches well with the depiction of Titus on the reverse of the present coin, shown as the master of the world, with his curule chair sitting on top of the globe, bringing peace with an olive branch by being victorious over their enemies (shown as captured arms).

Upon its completion and inauguration, Rome celebrated with 100 days of festivities at the Colosseum, including gladiator battles, recreations of famous victories, and hunts of exotic animals.

The obverse die continued to be used after the death of Titus, but this particular coin was part of the earliest commemorative issue. These coins were as loved in antiquity as they are now, and most are found heavily worn, likely because they were held as pocket-pieces by the Romans, showing their pride for attending the first games.

Rome, AD 80-81. Oblique overhead view of the Colosseum (Flavian Amphitheater); the exterior displaying four tiers of arches, the top three containing statuary, and the interior showing spectators arrayed in sectioned seating; to the left, fountain on base (Meta Sudans); on right, porticoed building (Baths of Titus?) / IMP T CAES VESP AVG P M TR P P P COS VIII, Titus seated left on curule chair, holding branch and scroll; below, on either side, pile of arms. In field, S - C. RIC 184. Elkins 6 (A4/P6). CBN 189. Hendin 1594. Very rare. An excellent specimen of this important historic type! Minor smoothing in fields, leaving devices and main details untouched. Green-brown patina. A pleasing Very Fine. From the personal collection of a leading ancient coin dealer.

Although it is well known to us as the Colosseum today, the original name of this famous structure of antiquity was the “Ampitheatrum Flavium”, or, the Amphitheater of the Flavian family.

It was eventually given its common name from a massive statue of Nero which was moved in front of it by the emperor Hadrian. This type of statue was known as a “colossus”, and people over time said they would meet “near the Colossus”, resulting in the name Colosseum coming into use more officially around 480 AD.

Depicted on the reverse of this aureus, Nero’s Colossus was a towering bronze statue, standing thirteen storeys tall. It was built to imitate the Colossus of Rhodes, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Rather than destroy it after the emperor’s death, several of his successors changed the statue's face, replacing its features with their own.

It originally portrayed Nero in the guise of the sun-god Sol and was a major work of art placed at the entrance of Nero’s lavish “Golden House”. Nero built his palace on a large area of land which was damaged in the great fires of 64 AD. It was richly decorated and featured technical innovations such as a revolving dining hall and a large artificial lake.

However, Nero died soon after its completion, leaving behind a negative legacy with the Roman public appalled at his excess during their time of need. The emperor Vespasian converted Nero’s lake into the Colosseum, winning considerable favor with the people of Rome, who now were able to attend exciting games free of charge.

In building the Colosseum, Vespasian was working to distance his reign from Nero’s self-indulgence and instead create a building for the enjoyment of the population of Rome. With 80 entrances and the capacity to seat more than 50,000 people, it was the first of its kind architecturally and instantly became one of the best known buildings in antiquity.

Its core was constructed of concrete, with marble floors around the best seats and tile in the less expensive sections. It had a retractable canvas roof on the fourth level, and its floor was made of heavy timber, covering an elaborate series of underground cells for gladiators, prisoners, and animals. Amazingly, the floor could be removed and the lower levels flooded for naval combats.

The central area of the Colosseum was 258 feet long and 150 feet wide, and it stood twelve storeys tall. The wood floor was covered with “harena”, the Latin word for sand, which gives us the term “arena” still in use today.

Nero. AD 54-68. AV Aureus (19mm, 7.38 g, 6h). Rome mint. Struck circa AD 64-65. NERO CAESAR, laureate head right / AVGVSTVS GERMANICVS, Nero, radiate and togate, standing facing, holding branch in right hand, globe surmounted by Victory in left. RIC I 46; WCN 22; Calicó 402; Biaggi 221; BMCRE 56-9; BN 202-5. Near EF, warm cabinet tone. Lustrous. Ex Auction Ceresio (Lugano, 26 September 1987), lot 229.
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Two wonderful coins.

I learned something in the wee hours of this Saturday morning, i did not know that the Colossus of Nero was depicted on a coin!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Great coins and write up SmEagle! I am always in awe of the specimens that you Zohar and JCM post. They inspire me to greater heights in my collecting.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coins, and thanks for the history.
  • very nice image

"A dedicatory inscription was discovered in 2001 which reads, “Imp T. Caes. Vespasianus Aug. Ampitheatrum Novum Ex Manubis Fieri Iussit”. This translates to “The Emperor Caesar Vespasian Augustus had this new amphitheater erected with the spoils of war”"

just forgot to put Titus in the translation image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • imageimageimage

The engineering of the Colosseum is mind-boggling in light of its antiquity. Someday I hope to see it in person.

<< <i>This type of statue was known as a “colossus”, and people over time said they would meet “near the Colossus”, resulting in the name Colosseum coming into use more officially around 480 AD. >>

"Hey Maccvs, can you direct me to the Amphitheatrum Flavium?"

"Whaddya blind? It's right over there by the Colossus. See 'im?"

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    just forgot to put Titus in the translation image >>

I'm just trying to keep you on your toes image Thanks! I've corrected it now image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent write up. Thank you. Quite a statue - WIKI
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Excellent write up. Thank you. Quite a statue - WIKI >>

That is indeed quite a statue! If it looked anything like that originally, I can understand why it was so iconic.
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Great write up. I'd never heard of that statue before which surprises me a bit since it was so imposing and survived for so long.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Great presentation , great coins and description. Well done!!!!
    Im waiting for your next posts.............
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Super coins and great history lesson!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson