Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A new entrant to my Top 5 Worst Buyers on eBay List! Read, weep, block, and take a drink inside!

Howdy All!

I don't usually post about my bad bidders, but some are just too good not to pass up (and should be blocked by all). Since this guy does a lot of world/ancient buying, I figure some here will appreciate the heads up. I'll link to my original post to keep the comments in one spot. Reading time!

Jeremy
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    yea this goof bought an ancient coin from me and then returned it because "it looked nothing like the images" and this was after I got my new camera and my pictures were about as close to in hand look as it gets

I blocked him, refunded his money and resold it to a happy buyer the next week

"Dear jkcoins,

Thank You please label coin."

yea he did that as well, normally I don't "label coin" as with ancients there's a lot of info and I don't know exactly what the buyer may want, but non the less I did my research and put as much info on my 2x2 tag as I could

if you sell some ancients again, go ahead and throw a thread up in the world & ancient BST linking to your auctions, would love to look
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figured his "Please label" comment meant do something so he knows where the item came from. I've received packages on behalf of international buyers, and sometimes it's just a coin in a 2x2 floating around a bubble mailer... really hard to figure out whose it is. I send everything with a 2x2 labeled to the auction, and an invoice, so it's pretty obvious. Then again, I guess he only needed to see my shipping label image

I don't get too much ancient stuff in, but on any given week what I list is a completely random assortment of foreign and US material. It's always worth a look image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Bachelors in Ancient Studies (truth!). Collecting Roman coins from the time I was 12 or so, led me to this unwise decision. Damned ancients!
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Jeremy - you get a medal for patience and eloquent mastery - I wudda lost my lid way in the beginning...

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great the way u handled it. I would have told him to go where the sun does not shine.
    However, the blocking thing is something which bothers me.
    A smart buyer, or crooked buyer, has a 2nd or even 3rd Feebay account.
    and a seller has NO idea who they are...
    how do you handle that?
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how do you handle that?

This guy doesn't sound like he's smart or crooked. He sounds like either he's an idiot or he was drunk.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy - This goes into the hall of shame. Well handled.

Unfortunately, this is why Ebay selling has become a challenge. I had a guy buy 3 coins in one auction. Not respond for 3 days. Ask for a week to make payment and not follow through. No consequence for him, while I lost time/alternatives.
  • Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    What a story! Doesn't appear to be a case of buyer fraud, more likely just a very paranoid and indecisive buyer. Return a package unopened? I couldn't have done something like this myself, if only because of curiosity. I can't leave a package with a coin inside unopened :-)

Would you mind if I asked why your avatar is a picture of an El-Al airplane?
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>great the way u handled it. I would have told him to go where the sun does not shine.
    However, the blocking thing is something which bothers me.
    how do you handle that? >>

Worst comes to worst, you match the address. One of my other top 5 has some 20 accounts I've blocked so far. He keeps coming back and basically never pays (he once won an item 2 or 3 times before someone else finally did). You're right, to an extent, there's nothing I can do. But if I can trace it back to him, at least any feedback is going to get removed if he's vindictive, since bidding with another account when blocked is against eBay policy. I even once had a very angry buyer who used a different name and address (in a different town) get caught on this, and 13 vindictive negs went away in a flash.

<< <i>Unfortunately, this is why Ebay selling has become a challenge. I had a guy buy 3 coins in one auction. Not respond for 3 days. Ask for a week to make payment and not follow through. No consequence for him, while I lost time/alternatives. >>

If that's all I had to deal with, I'd pop some Champagne! That sounds like an amazing week for me image

<< <i>Would you mind if I asked why your avatar is a picture of an El-Al airplane? >>

I love airplanes and I love Israel. An El Al tail is where they intersect. It happens (not by coincidence) that the tail pictured belongs to the first El Al 747 I flew, which was also the first 747 flight I was old enough to remember.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy - regards from very sunny and humid Tel Aviv where I had also met desslok for breakfast.