Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Leo Kadman Pavilion - The Israel Museum

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am currently in Tel Aviv with the family. Took my daughters to the Eretz Israel Museum in Tel Aviv and passed by this very impressive display of the Leo Kadman collection. The exhibit offers an opportunity to travel through time and have a first hand glimpse of the evolution of coinage, manufacture, and art. Unfortunately, I did not have as much time as I needed to do this properly with the girls wanting to leave. I may try again on my own before leaving. There is a virtual tour on the site and this is highly recommended for anyone who visits Israel - Site - The Kadman Numismatic Pavilion

I did take some snapshots on the go - not great imaging using the iPhone, yet gives one a sense of the breadth of the exhibit. Quite a selection.

Coin Minting Process and Tools:

Shekel of Tyre Hoard found in town of Ussfiyeh

Greek Coinage

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

I could just imagine the groans from the girls when they realized that there were coins in the museum! We've been tricked......daddy found more coins......this might take awhile.

I love the setup of this display:
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Great info/pics thanks! Could you put those coins back in the jug and bring them back here for us?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    image very cool
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Zohar !

I saw that exhibit in March when iI was I Israel .

I took pictures too .

It worth seeing the entire exhibit ....plenty of coins and history!

May Hashem keep your family safe.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    Fantastic! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
  • Options
    Thanks all.

BidAsk - appreciate the kind thoughts. We feel very safe here.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a stunning group of coins! For all of the complaining museums do about displaying their numismatic material, this museum certainly knows how to do it right.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Very nice collection and the museum looks organised.

P.S : I also recommend for next pleasure station the NMA , with full permanent collections of ancient coins, "The richest collections are those of the ancient coins dated from the 6th century BC to the 5th century AD. These are the coins of the city-states, the kings and rulers of the ancient Greek and Hellenistic world, the Roman Republic, the Roman emperors and the Roman Imperial provinces."
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I just read that article on Dr. Kindler earlier this morning. I was going to link it after I read your opening post but I see you already have. He was quite a guy. Great thread and photos. Thanks for sharing.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Awesome! Thanks Zohar for sharing the pics for all of us to enjoy, who aren't able to visit ha'eretz yisrayim this year. What a magnificent display indeed! Makes me want to return even more. Soon!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    awesome - thanks for sharing !
  • Options
    Got a good uninterrupted 1.5 hours on my own this AM at the museum. Very neat stuff covering ancient-crusader era with emphasis on Judean coinage. Additional images:

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pics. Please stay vigilant and safe.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I did not have as much time as I needed to do this properly with the girls wanting to leave. I may try again on my own before leaving.

I would have wanted to leave too. image

Looks like you've had it your way at the end. Thanks Z. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Zohar, for the grand tour at the Kadman Pavilion , great pictures.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Zohar - looks like you had a fine time indeed - I understand Israel is rather safe but looks otherwise when you read the news and what not - my sources say the general population is overall oblivious...as in life goes on...an amazing country out there in middle of all the mayhem is just totally amazing!

• Options
    Thanks all.

Marc - a tourist would not sense anything by looking at people conducting their daily routine during this recent crisis. As a people in a tough neighborhood, this is part of the general mindset - live for today and fight for a better tomorrow. We had a wonderful time with family and friends.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful Zohar. One place I want to go before I die.

Tom