Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some misc oldps (because I'm in a deep drought!!!)

Some of you might think - WTF, has EVP gone off his meds? Nah - this was just a failed effort at seeing what else I may have interest in collecting... They were (relatively) inexpensive, so it's ok. I bought these over 2 years ago and haven't bought any more since -- mostly due to a lack of both knowledge and funds.

INDO-SKYTHIANS. Azes. Circa 58-12 BC. AR Tetradrachm (24mm, 8.64 g, 12h). Azes on horseback right, holding whip; Kharosthi Da to right / Athena standing right, raising hand in gesture of benediction and holding spear and shield; Φ and monogram to left, monogram right. Cf. Senior 98.423T; cf. BN 287; otherwise unpublished. VF, toned. Unique with this sequence of reverse controls.

ISLAMIC, Umayyad Caliphate. temp. 'Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan. AH 65-86 / AD 685-705. AR Drachm (34mm, 2.72 g, 9h). Struck in the name of Salm ibn Ziyad, Governor of Khurasan, circa AH 61-65 (AD 680-684). Marw mint. Dated AH 69 (AD 688/9). Crowned Sasanian-style bust right, Bismillah in margin; c/m: forepart of winged animal right / Fire altar flanked by attendants; star and crescent flanking flames, date and mint to left and right. SICA I -; Album 18; for c/m: Göbl, Dokumente KM 3. Good VF, some die breaks in field.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know anything about those, but they seem like nice examples.

There are so many areas of ancient and medieval coins that have "newbie appeal": inexpensive prices, a decent amount of literature, relatively few quality fakes, and interesting designs. It's so easy to find something nice, and frequently inexpensive. Since I never sell coins, I have to be careful not to blow my budget too easily, as once the money is spent, it's gone.
  • Options
    These are something you don't see everyday and because they aren't julius Caesar or Caligula they're rather inexpensive
    Cool stuff
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. What makes these two pieces a little extra cool is that the Azes piece is a transitional piece, while the Umayyid piece is a counter stamp. Not sure how much extra cool factor these attributes add, but probably not much if any at all. For example, counter stamping was probably a common practice.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

And reminders that there's so many more areas to be interested in.

I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting! From my limited experience, both of these pieces are about as artistic as these styles get, particularly the Islamic piece, IMO.

Tom