Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Viking Coin on Pawn Stars

This weeks new episode features a old viking coin on pawn stars.

preview

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the fix.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Cool! Are you also in the episode? Or just a fan of the show? I like how he's skeptical because it has "English markings" ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I just watch the show image
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pawnstars has to be one of the most boring and unrealistic Tv show on the air these days.
    Good shows get prime time, this one is used as a filler for hours on end... it is so predictable and is about equal to Hawaii 5 O.
    sorry guys... I rather drink a glass of wine and search the world for coins.
    Am just curious , does this pawn shop really exist?
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    Yes, it really exists and has for many years.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin appears to be a St. Eadmund's memorial coinage, from the moneyer Gisalca.

The Vikings invaded England in 865, and went about smashing the kingdoms of Northumbria, Mercia, and finally East Anglia, where they defeated and killed the king of East Anglia named Eadmund (Edmund). They continued on into Wessex, where they finally met serious resistance from Alfred (soon to be known as "the great"). After this setback, the Vikings went along ruling their conquered kingdoms, including East Anglia. The people had come to view their deceased former king Eadmund as something of a martyr, and the town now known as "Bury St. Edmunds" was named after his resting place.

It is then a bit of irony that the same Vikings who were responsible for warring against East Anglia and killing the king later produced a coinage honoring his memory and elevation to sainthood.

St. Edmund coins were produced for many years and are actually quite common (by medieval coin standards), they have been found in hoards in great numbers, and there are certainly several thousand known. They used to be quite affordable but, as with all numismatic things that I'd like to buy, they are now a bit more expensive.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Note to History Channel - A modern day pawn shop is NOT (as the name of your channel might be taken to imply) history. Also falling under the "not history" banner would be test driving cars, how pork and beans are made and driving big trucks in the snow. UFOs are also not history, nor are they science or for that matter real.

Note to Rick Harrison - Yes, as anyone who completed even the most basic grade school course in world history could tell you, the Vikings interacted with England over hundreds of years. During part of that period more of England was under Viking rule than English rule. Like most cultures the Vikings needed money while they were "visiting" England.

Note to self - Skip this episode of Pawn Stars.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting! I must confess the most reading I've done about the Vikings has been since the onset of the History channel's TV show. Now, the sensibly cynical side of me notes that both shows are on the same network and would not be surprised if 'Viking items' are currently being cultivated. Rick bought a bracelet on an episode not too long ago and made a point of showing it off on the Pawnography (game show) show. In any case, it was interesting reading and comparing the show vs. the more traditional history lessons. Thanks for posting the added info too.

Cathy

(The only reason I know so much about the shows is the History channel is on about 90% of the time we have the TV going).

• Options
    Hey Michael, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    All the negativity with pawn stars & pickers and such, I still enjoy it.

I would rather watch them then the 100 different singing/karaoke shows that are on tv. Its ridicules.
  • Options

<< <i>Note to History Channel - A modern day pawn shop is NOT (as the name of your channel might be taken to imply) history. Also falling under the "not history" banner would be test driving cars, how pork and beans are made and driving big trucks in the snow. UFOs are also not history, nor are they science or for that matter real.

Note to Rick Harrison - Yes, as anyone who completed even the most basic grade school course in world history could tell you, the Vikings interacted with England over hundreds of years. During part of that period more of England was under Viking rule than English rule. Like most cultures the Vikings needed money while they were "visiting" England.

Note to self - Skip this episode of Pawn Stars. >>

A lot of junk on History, although I like the series "Vikings" (which funny enough deals with this particular time period). It's historical fiction but it's fun. The pawn show is also sometimes fun but too much glorification of the almighty dollar. The rest of their programming is less fun and not really history, but I am looking forward to their WWI anniversary programming.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Heh, I see they bring in Dave Vagi as their expert. Good for him.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my coin, graded "nearly as struck" by the seller. To my eye, it is a fine looking coin and should be at least ChEF with very nice eye appeal.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

<< <i>Heh, I see they bring in Dave Vagi as their expert. Good for him. >>

It'll be the third time I've seen him on the show. My previously mentioned cynical side thinks the show is a wee bit staged. I doubt they keep bringing him in for random shows, I'm guessing they brought him in for 3-5 (or whatever) segments and are now interspersing them throughout the season. A while back there was some Roman cool-coin or other that was priced at 10K. As DV walked away he gave one last 'wow that's cool' glance and Rick paid more than I expected (8K--he usually would be 50%). I think Rick wanted the coin for himself. Rick likes PCGS and NGC.

Anyway, I think the Viking bracelet, sword and now coin are serving to keep the "Vikings" show in people's minds. So, yes it's garbage, but it's fun garbage that I'd rather have my kids watching instead of network TV image. (Well, not the Vikings. The kids aren't watching that one...) In fact my youngest pestered us for days so we wouldn't miss a WWII series. A win. This is the kid who wanted a groat after reading about them in a book. Anyone want to sell a groat by the way?

Cathy

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the coin on the Pawn Stars show:

Pawn Stars Viking Coin

Here is a coin that looks like the Pawn Stars coin:

ANGLO-SAXON, Anglo-Viking (Danish East Anglia). St. Edmund memorial coinage.
    Circa 895-910. AR Penny, Gisalca, moneyer. Sold for $895

http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=242719

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I totally agree about the ignorance of the staff at times (did you see my first comment?) and yes you're right Pawn shops are not history, however ...

Support coins on TV. Support the hobby. If you don't care to watch coins on Pawnstars, then write to your favorite show and convince them to feature coins in their next season (because this season has already been written, shot, and published).

Some kid is gonna see that show and get hooked on Viking coins, or maybe just ancient coins. Maybe he'll convince his dad to take him to the next coin show in their town, and maybe his dad will buy a few stocking stuffers from a local dealer. Even if this happens to just ONE kid, your suffering and misery will have been worth it imageimage

ps: sorry ladies it could happen to girls too. didn't mean to leave you out of this hypothetical.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>Here is a coin that looks like the Pawn Stars coin:

ANGLO-SAXON, Anglo-Viking (Danish East Anglia). St. Edmund memorial coinage.
    Circa 895-910. AR Penny, Gisalca, moneyer. Sold for $895

http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=242719

image >>

Same coin.
    Nice catch.

Wonder what the pawn shop offered?
  • Options
    The coin was in a small square case which also had three circular note tags, one tag read "Ex Duke of Argyll".

The "coin expert" David Vagi said it was worth $1200, and explained that the Duke was a British coin collector
    who died in 1949.

The Pawn Stars man Rick Harrison bought the coin for $800.
    It is interesting that on one circular note tag the price was "40/" or 40 shillings, if I am reading it right.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    I'm already forgetting, but I think they valued it at $1200 due to superior condition, lack of clipping and some nice provenance (the Duke of Argyll) tags. IIRC the conversation went from the seller asking 1000, Rick offering 700 and it sold for 800.

I still say this point was to keep interest going in the Vikings TV show image. But, I tell you, my youngest is after groats and I've bought more than a couple so far. And, my husband will see something about Rome and I've bought him more than a couple Roman coins (nothing to spectacular but okay) and I've even bought him a William and Mary coin as that is where he graduated from. So coins as 'product placement' certainly work.

edited to add: Simultaneous posting there image.

• Options
    Found it!

The Classical Numismatics Group (CNG) link I posted above is the same coin.
    Check the letters which have wear.

Pawn Stars coin:

CNG coin:

ANGLO-SAXON, Anglo-Viking (Danish East Anglia). St. Edmund memorial coinage. Circa 895-910. AR Penny (18mm, 1.18 g, 12h). Gisalca, moneyer. + SC E?DIHVND RE (S sideways throughout), large barred A / + ‘_|¯ISLEC? NOE, short cross pattée. SCBI 42 (South-Eastern) 696-7; BMC 534; North 483; SCBC 960. Near EF, toned.

The Duke of Argyll coin collection turns up in a lot of places.
    He collected early English and Roman coins, and they were sold after he died in 1949.
    Some of the current coin dealer webpages list "ex Duke of Argyll" as part of a coin description.

Searching online for "ex Duke of Argyll" brings up a lot of nice old English hammered coins.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Pawn Stars" at least involves more history than most of the "History" Channel's other offerings these days.

Ladymarcovan likes that damn gator-hunting show. Whatzit? Oh. "Swamp People". I hate that garbage so much it makes me actually angry.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    It is funny, I don't really watch tv. I hate to pay for the cable to get any of the shows I might be interested in. Also with stuff on Netflix that E has anyway for her watching, I usually just watch stuff on there. The funny part about me not watching tv is that whenever I am near a tv set like the doctor's office the other day it is invariably either some ladies blabbing on some dumb daytime show or some history channel show that has very little to do with history any more. Like someone else said, anything is better than watching these awful dancing/karaoke/chef/model shows. But I guess I will watch anything even marginally history related versus that crap.

Even still, the history channel has lost its core audience I think. I am reading a book on Tesla now where the preface is more interesting and historical than any of their shows. I do not miss "all WWII, all the time" programming, but come on.