Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

George V shilling edge

Hi all

I have just received a shilling I bought from eBay.

All was well until after giving positive feedback I realised the coin was not the one actually pictured on the listing. Condition was identical though....with the exception that the edge beading was really poor on the coin I received while the image listed showed one with perfect edge beading.

I have contacted the seller about the coin not being the same one. But I wanted to ask you guys...is this coin fake? Is this type of issue on a coin something that happens to some strikes?

What is your opinion? The coin I bought is on the right of the image. The one on the left is just another example for comparison. I don't want to show the original eBay listing as I do not want to tarnish the sellers reputation and I await his response.

http://postimg.org/image/lgd1lvpq7/
Doc: "Marty! I didn't invent the time machine for financial gain. The intent here is to gain a clear perception of humanity. Where we've been, where we're going. The pitfalls and the possibilities. The perils and the promise. Perhaps even an answer to that universal question, why?"

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    It's hard to give an opinion without the direct comparison. It is still possible to right click on the obverse photo and copy the link location and paste it here so the picture can be viewed without reference to the listing.

Edge beading softness is not a big deal on the shillings. I have several like that - just variations in strike/relief, which is pretty common for all George V issues.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    ncc74656ncc74656 Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Hi

The seller contacted me saying it is the coin in the photo, and he is certain since it was the only 1915 shilling he had in stock. When I sent him the picture of the coin I received he did not change his mind, but did say he would refund if I sent it back.

Am I going crazy? Here is the original listing...put here since the seller has at least said he would refund.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301231602802?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

Same coin??
    Doc: "Marty! I didn't invent the time machine for financial gain. The intent here is to gain a clear perception of humanity. Where we've been, where we're going. The pitfalls and the possibilities. The perils and the promise. Perhaps even an answer to that universal question, why?"
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options

I think these are 2 different coins and both are not UNC.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely different to me as well. That on the right likely would have been uncirculated prior to hairlining via cleaning.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ncc74656ncc74656 Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Hello again everybody.

Many thanks for posting the side by side pictures. I am not very good at displaying images in forums.

I am glad you are in agreement that the coins are different. I do not mind so much about returning for a refund, as I know I am not being unreasonable now.

Thank you again!

• Options
    Here's a shilling that grades UNC in my book, and for less money.
    No. I'm not the seller imageShilling 1915
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Definitely different. I wouldn't want the piece on the right for certain. The quality of the one on the left is harder to tell from the angle and lighting.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    1Bustcollector1Bustcollector Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    They appear different in grade/surface. The "O" in ONM has a small hit on the coin in the left image, while the coin on the right does not.
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    it looks like two different coins to me also
  • Options
    1Bustcollector1Bustcollector Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    More importantly, I forgot to mention that the beading under "GEORGIVS" is missing on the coin on the left while the beading is very string with the coin on the right.
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    Also, a few rim nicks are visible on one but not on the other
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a shilling that grades UNC in my book, and for less money.
    No. I'm not the seller imageShilling 1915 >>

OT, but I'm certain that members who regularly browse eBay.co.uk or eBay.de or eBay.fr, have already noticed that sellers are allowed to post their email, their phone, their shop's address and several other details that are strictly forbidden on eBay.com.

Or that you can report a buyer on eBay.com who insists on a partial refund, when he has the right to return the item that he's not happy with for a full and unconditional refund, but eBay.de for instance, not only allows it, it's even included in the pre existing options to solve a case before eBay itself is involved. I've recently had a case such as this one, item bought on eBay.com, buyer didn't want a full but a partial refund. When I finally realized what he wanted, ( it was in German) by using an online translator, I've counter offered his partial refund offer from 35% to 20% and only to make this case and individual disappear from my life with the minimum amount of damages. He accepted.

Still, PayPal had already frozen his payment and my pp account was minus a few dozens of dollars by that time and as such I was unable to do a refund. I asked him to say the case was solved ,to liberate his frozen payment, in order for me to be able to make a proper refund from his own payment, at zero fees to him, he refused, even though he could very well reopen the same case ASAP.

Gladly, a couple of different items ended and my pp account had enough funds to reimburse his 20% but what a nightmarish month.....
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Clearly two different coins. I'd avoid this seller like the plague after the transaction is finished (after you get the refund). I'd even consider reporting them if you think it was intentional. But even if it was a mistake, still avoid them. Mailing the coin in the listing is not hard for even the least organized seller.

Dimitri, sorry to learn of your troubles. What can I say ... eBay is headache. Not worth it.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE