Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Sharing pictures of Alexander III The Great Gold Stater

Never posted on this forum before, I've been collecting US classic coins. Bought about 3 ancients in the past year/two and really started to take an interest. Been hunting down a nice example of the coin pictured below and finally connected on one.

I took my first stab at imaging a coin with such high relief. I have yet to dabble in "focus stacking" but will have to learn how if I am going start collecting ancients (I think I'm hooked now)...this is a good coin for me to experiment with. It's a little out of focus, I know, I need to setup my lighting differently and learn how to take 8-10 images at different field depths and merge them together...I'll get there.

Also, learning how to crop a coin that is not perfectly round is challenging image

Comments

• a beautiful example image

many people getting bit by the ancient bug lately image

do you have any info on it to share with us?

a lifetime issue?

=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, that's quite a way to start on ancients.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A wonderful acquisition, certainly dripping with history and in fantastic condition! I'm looking forward to seeing your other coins and your next purchases - once caught, there is little that can be done to cure the ancients bug image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

A forum member here has been kind in sharing some research sources for me so I'll write up the coin info once I get a moment.

This coin below is so cool in hand. My wife/daughter saw it and said, "no way!!" Coin looks like it was minted yesterday. Dripping with luster. It's nearly a center strike too which is amazing.

Anyhow thank you for your encouragement. I'll also image some of the other coins and share them. My ancient collection is meager, just a few coins, but I could see it growing over time. I'll try to focus on getting interesting coins with eye appeal...they also make great conversation pieces image

• determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Nice pick up mercurydimeguy. It's nice to see more people becoming interested in ancients. For me after buying the coin comes the fun part. The research!

I couldn't help myself and found your coin in Martin J. Price's, The Coinage in the Name of Alexander the Great and Philip Arrhidaeus: A British Museum Catalogue. Which is the current standard reference for ATG coins.

Price reference # 1559.

Abydus(?) mint. Price added the ? because Abydus is a tentative attribution. Although he does say that the mint was probably in the general area of Lampsacus.
    mercurydimeguy - you will find that with ancients many times the mint is not known for certain. For example, even Alexander's very large output at the "Babylon" mint may actually be from the Susa mint. (Which I also believe.)

ME monogram with scallop shell.

c. 310 - 301 BC
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin and excellent photograph!

Here is another Golden Oldie from Alexander:

Alexander the Great of Macedonia - Gold Stater - Babylon

Helmeted head of Athena facing right with griffin or serpent on helmet
    Nike standing left, holding wreath, MI on left, monogram in wreath below right wing
    ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ (King Alexander)
    Struck (Posthumous) c. BC 311-305, Babylon mint
    Weight: 8.56gm, diameter approx 20mm

Listed in Price's book as number 3749.
    Bought this one in 2011 from Harlan J. Berk of Chicago.

It was expensive but I love the design, a real work of ancient art.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Love it. I've always wanted one. Maybe one day.
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Very impressive Alexander piece! Super sharp and well photographed in my opinion. If it is only better in hand then I am even more jealous.
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, don't worry about not posting here before - seems very little has been regarding ancients until quite recently...so you came on perfect timing image

Nice piece.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impressive, indeed. I've wanted one for a while, but these are pretty much out of my reach.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    What a wonderful coin! The type is high on my Get One list. Maybe this summer...
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I just got this one in the mail today...came home from a business trip and couldn't wait to image it.

I decided that I was going to collect coins with Nike on them (a project for my son and me), and we also love pomegranates, and this one had both. A two for one deal image

I need to dig up my other 3 coins and image them at some point.

I tried focus stacking on this coin also, and it worked fairly well.

PS. I remember I still owe a writeup on focus stacking and cropping so I'll post that soon. I didn't use the cropping approach on this image...as I was going to re-shoot it later anyway.

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    That was quite a splash on the world forum .... that stater is beautiful. I look forward to seeing what you have to offer next.

The ancients that people are sharing lately on this forum are out of this world!
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with ancient gold.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don