Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

France: gold 20-francs "Angel", 1877-A

France: gold 20-francs "Angel", 1877-A

KM 825, .900 gold/.1867 oz. PCGS MS64, cert# 29851550. Ex-"agentjim007", Collectors Universe, 4/29/2014.

This classic French design, like many of its European counterparts of the era, is quite popular. I got this one for near melt value and was pleasantly surprised with the grade.

PCGS cert verification (w/TrueView image link)
NGC/Krause priceguide trends

Wikipedia links:
French franc (before World War I)
Augustin Dupré (creator of the "Angel" design)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Wow, nice pick-up for near melt.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it cost near melt when I bought it raw. I of course paid for the slabbing and TrueView image.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Did you change your mind and bought this coin instead of the goldgulden ?
    Very nice coin from Paris, you must be very happy with the grade image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LM, a lovely design and fantastically preserved example.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options

<< <i>Did you change your mind and bought this coin instead of the goldgulden ?
    Very nice coin from Paris, you must be very happy with the grade image >>

I am happy with the grade. Actually bought this a few months ago- it was off at PCGS for perhaps five weeks.

I did not buy the goldgulden, but am still considering it (or one of the others on that page you linked up in our last PM)... when finances permit.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one Lord M!

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 3:03PM

These "Angel" coins are pretty nice. I have one also, bought for near bullion price a few years ago.

France 20 francs 1898 "Angel"

This one is dated the last year these coins were made.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a lovely design

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice Rob!

• Options

This one's a bygone. It wasn't with me long, but was nice while it lasted.

My "Eclectic Box" was a "Box of 20" up until last year, so a lot of nice stuff came - and went - in revolving door fashion. About nine months ago I finally abandoned the 20-coin limit and am at 31 coins, now ... with a 32nd on the way.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's like me when I go to the buffet saying I am only going to make 2 trips and end up going back to the point I need to loosen my belt. 20 coin limit would be tough for me as well.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

At very least, I'd do a box of 40 as I have a blue box and a grey one! :D

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3