Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Greece (Thessaly), silver "Rhodian Mercenaries" drachm struck by King Perseus of Macedon, ca

Ancient Greece (Thessaly), silver "Rhodian Mercenaries" drachm struck by King Perseus of Macedon, ca. 175-170 BC

Obverse: head of Helios three-quarter facing right.

Reverse: rose, bud right.

2.54 g. NGC Choice Mint State (Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5), cert. #4166130-001. Ex-Colosseo Collection, March, 2014. Prior provenance to Harlan J. Berk, Ltd., Buy or Bid Sale #186, Lot 90, with description "Ex-Philip Davis Collection. Some iridescent toning. Choice Mint State."

A brief bit of history: "Although the attribution of this issue has been debated, it seems likely that it was struck by Perseus to pay Cretan mercenaries, who would have been familiar with Rhodian issues, in the Third Macedonian War against the Romans (see R. Ashton, NC 1988, pp. 29-30)."

Miscellaneous links:

Slightly larger image

NGC cert verification page

Previous auction listing (Harlan J. Berk, Ltd., Buy or Bid Sale #186, August 21, 2013, Lot 90)

Coins of Thessaly (Wildwinds reference)

The Colosseo Collection (from which this piece was acquired)

Wikipedia links:

Perseus of Macedon

Greek drachma (ancient)

Thessaly

Third Macedonian War

Helios

Rhodes

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" Collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Very nice LM. Love the colors.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    a hard to beat example of this issue, the toning really makes it pop

a wise purchase imo

what does the reverse say at the top?
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup !
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Nice condition along with nice style. Congrats!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a new one? I like it, and spent about 20 minutes perusing the links and learning a bit more history. Cool beans! Thanks for posting it image.

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    No, its in his box of 20 for a while.
    But I think the NGC grading is recent , hope that doesn't mean Rob is gonna sell it, if so I will bid for certain.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Wow, you've come a long way from your holey days. I reviewed your box of 20 and its iterations over the years. Nice coins!
    Paul
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Rob, great return on the coin! Nice to see it get the grade it deserves.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had it a while (got it from the mighty Smeagle1795), and it's going to stay with me a while. This is probably one of my top three in the Box of 20, and certainly seems to get the most positive attention.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.