Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Russia issues coins to commemorate reunification with Crimea

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
FWIW, I believe these to be medals, but I'm copying the media phraseology.

Russia will issue 25 souvenir collection palm-sized silver coins featuring President Putin's portrait and a map of Crimea to commemorate the reunification with the peninsula.

The coins will be issued by a foundry in Zlatoust, in the Urals, and the collection will be called "Gatherer of Russian Lands – Crimea 2014".
Each palm-sized coin weighs one kilo and has Putin’s bas-relief on the head side, while a map of Crimea is on the tail side.

Link to Article.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is unfortunate...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The description of the items which were shown on American television this morning indicate
    that the items are medals.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Sad. Nice collection name, "Gatherer of Russian Lands – Crimea 2014". Hopefully there will be no more additions to this set.
  • Options
    Sounds like an urban legend - a coin without a denomination.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The description of the items which were shown on American television this morning indicate
    that the items are medals.

image >>

<< <i>Sounds like an urban legend - a coin without a denomination. >>

Indeed. Sounds more like medals. Wouldn't be the first time the mainstream media has gotten the nomenclature wrong and missed the distinction there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is unfortunate... >>

No, the correct statement is: That is a Crime
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't be the first time for this kind of medal.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wouldn't be the first time for this kind of medal.

image >>

There were several porcelain medals made by Meissen that commemorated the capture of Sevastopol after a several month siege, and the capture of all of Crimea - by the Nazis. Occasionally I see them on eBay and more reputable auction firms.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21