Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Monster Hole Filled for my Mexico Maximilian Set!!!

The very first coin I ever purchased at a coin show was an 1867 Maximilian Peso in VF for $25. Since then I have been on a quest to very slowly build a full set of the Maximilian series including all denominations and varieties. I even want one example of the pattern trial strikes of the 1 Peso. This bad boy that I won today is a big deal! I now have the pop top for both the 1866/5 10c and the 1866/4 5c. The Krause catalog says there is also an 1866/4 10c but neither NGC or PCGS has graded one?

Pop 1/0 with a total of only 2 graded by NGC and 0 graded by PCGS.

Comments

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, love the original look it has.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many varieties of patterns and trials of the Max coinage and all are quite rare if not unique. I've been collecting Mexican patterns for 18 years and still am not even close to completeness on these.

The more "common" ones are the small letter Peso in copper and the large (normal) letter Peso in copper. These usually come in very low grade and beat up. If you don't mind one like that, let me know as I may know of one for sale in Mexico.

Judging by the prices of Mexican patterns these days, if a decent one comes to auction, it won't be cheap.
  • A nice pair.... B)

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talk about thread necromancy

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• 1Bustcollector1Bustcollector Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Tookybandit that is one nicely toned example. I love how the pull away toning graces the obverse legends. Hard to improve -

Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

I still love this series :)