Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Question about slabbing an India 1920(b) 8 anna coin

Hello all,

I recently got this coin in an older lot of coins. From my knowledge of Indian George V pieces it doesn't have any screaming signs of being fake, but I have more experience with the 2 and 4 annas and know this date/denom is heavily faked. Any Indian collectors want to weigh in? Weight, edge, and so forth seems good, although the coin seems to be very slightly bent - could this be a result of the die clashing? If genuine, would it be slabbable with PCGS based on the pictures, even if just in a genuine slab?

Regards,
Bjorn

Comments

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks okay to me.
  • BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that - I guess I'll send it in and hope for the best. Even a genuine slab would be fine considering the slight bend (although I wonder if die damaged could have caused this).
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    May I ask why slab it? It is a $25-$50 coin. You're looking at about $33 to slab it.

Edit to add: I would remove the dirt and gunk off of it - acetone bath - before submitting it.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
    This particular date usually sells for about $500 to $750 in EF...
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This particular date usually sells for about $500 to $750 in EF... >>

Wow, Krause is way off then.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • mudskippiemudskippie Posts: 540 ✭✭
    There is an auction on ebay right now. We'll see how much it really worth!
    Link
    Perhaps, although that one looks a bit suspicious - and counterfeits of this type are fairly prevalent. Here is a Heritage auction for an NGC EF details one that went for $1000...

George V 8 Annas 1920(B), KM520, XF details surface hairlines NGC
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is an auction on ebay right now. We'll see how much it really worth!
    Link >>

That seller has been selling quite a few on eBay recently, most selling for $140-$170. They are obvious counterfeits, granular surfaces and obvious lack of detail give them away. The OP is correct in that genuine pieces should bring at least $600 and often a lot more.

As for the original question regarding whether or not the coin is bent because of die clashing, to the best of my knowledge die clashing will not result in bent coins.

Dennis
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it needs a little bit of an acetone cleaning prior to submission. A soft wooden toothpick, rose thorn, or maybe the point of a bamboo skewer could perhaps be used to gingerly work some of the dirt out of the crevices without too much fear of hurting the coin, I think.

And yes, the coin in the OP looks kosher to me, authenticity-wise. Not that I am terribly familiar with the type. But of course I've handled plenty of George V minors from various countries, as we all have. And I see no red flags. In fact, the somewhat streaky toning adds to its credibility, IMHO.

<< <i>Wow, Krause is way off then. >>

Krause has always been miles off on British India, but only in the last couple of years have I realized how much.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.