Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mandate Mints! - PCGS Palestine registry set being sold @ CICF !

Some of you probably know but I had decided to sell this collection, a rather tough decision, that took well over 20 years to assemble.

Heritage has just about completed it all, and it's coming up in April's CICF sale.
All I can say in a nutshell is I am very pleased with their effort, skills and what not in cataloging this set.

I never realized how critical all the nuances are of having something sold after years of effort in putting it all in place altogether.

Its a thrill to build, study and assemble any collection - but when it comes to selling if you don't know what or how to get it done you are probably doing yourself a disservice.

The set is here Text

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marc wish you all the best. Do they have a write-up on your collection/accomplishment in the catalog?

Best success!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I bid 100 dollars!!!

Sorry to see the whole set going, but wishing you the best of luck with the sale.
  • Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    Wow Marc, what an incredible set and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for someone. I wish you the best of luck in getting top $ for your collection.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful imaging. I hope the big day goes well.
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Yowzer. Very nice Marcmoish, must be hard to let them go.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Impressive material. HA seems to have earned their fee in positioning the set so looks like you'll do great.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words all -

yup tough to let 'em go -

this calls for some therapy and healingimage
  • Options
    Just noticed that the CICF posted it and seems that Heritage even kept the set intact with 59 separate consecutive lots very nicely imaged. A few years back I took a stab at building this set in mint state and gave up after 10 coins or so as it was DIFFICULT finding these in such high grades. However, finding the 59 coins in circulated condition is quite doeable.

What Marc has accomplished with this collection is therefore highly impressive. To put together such a top of the line collection demanded much patience and an excellent eye as these do not surface in exceptional quality every day. I doubt there is a better set out there. I am sure the HA data mining capabilities are making sure all collectors of these (My guess British, Israeli, Middle Eastern and US) will be there to bid.

Lastly, you made the right move with Heritage. The late forum member Gary Streich (OchoReales) gave his superb collection to Goldberg which did nothing to market it properly and it turned out to being a flop, to the detriment of Gary's heirs. What a shame. This auction should be a whole different story.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Options
    why thanks Zohar - I appreciate the kind words!
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an impressive set, Marc. Parting with it must be like giving up your first born. I wish you the best of luck with the sale!

I know you have other collecting interests, but is there a specific area in which you'll be focussing?

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    hey Jim ..yup its like givin up the first born indeedimage

I'd love to spend more time and effort in Talers, and the like...I totally love the period, design, and cache of that area....maybe one day soon...image
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    What a beautiful set of coins ... good luck with the sale.
  • Options
    Just got the catalog - they did an excellent job presenting the set and its uniqueness. You should do extremely well!
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

Yes they did a commendable job - got my door stoppers today too - like I said I have no complaints.

• Options
  • Options
    They are really milking the bidders squeezing every bid... really committed. I am SO VERY HAPPY for you Marc. Could not have happened to a nicer person!!

WOW!!
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible! It's been going over a hour now. Less than 100 lots.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super prices realized! Congrats
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marc,

You must be very pleased. Many of the lots went for 5 - 15 times their minimum bids. Your quest for quality paid off handsomely! image

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    OMG!

..is all I can say.

I'm way more than pleased - yup most went for way multiple of what I ever imagined..

Thanks for the support guys...

edited to add the party image
  • Options
    One has to give credit to the Heritage effort. I recall the late Gary Streich (OchoReales) Jerusalem Collection (Solid #2 to Marc's Finest) being poorly handled by Goldberg's. Really poor marketing and exposure. when the family really needed it This shows that choosing the right auction house and exposure makes a big difference.

Keep a few catalogs highlighting the sale and accomplishment. This is quite a feat.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a reason HA is #1 in this biz, and they've earned it: knowledgable staff, professionalism, solid technology, and hunger to do better.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Marc, congratulations on your results! Both building and selling your collection!
  • Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable results, especially that 1931 100-Mils PCGS MS62. My guess that this is by far a record price for any Mandate coin, ever. Congratulations!

My other guess is that there are additional uncirculated pieces of this date/denomination in private hands that were never sent in for slabbing by U.S. grading companies. In fact, slabbing Mandate coins seem to be a rather new phenomenon, and I'm not really sure how good they are at it. I was once personally burned by a 50 mils slabbed NGC AU-50, turned out to be VF at best. That was years ago (and I got compensation from NGC for it!), so maybe things have improved since then. In any case, I wonder if these fantastic auction results will cause more owners of quality pieces to submit their coins for grading.

Even if they do, this does not detract from Marc's great accomplishment, of course.
  • Options
    desslok if this is the case, Marc probably sold at the right time due to the uniqueness of the collection having the slab and the eye appeal of the pieces. I also wonder if the buyers are Middle Eastern or span the globe.
  • Options
    slabbing by U.S. grading companies. In fact, slabbing Mandate coins seem to be a rather new phenomenon, and I'm not really sure how good they are at it

Been watching and following this series for decades - the grading (slabbing) of this series began about 2007 in ernest.
    It is not a new thing - just becoming more popular in this decade, and reaching new collectors etc.
    These are extremely difficult to find in true mint state conditions.
    Most of the keys when found have been cleaned - many harshly - these are collected in Israel, Middle East countries (Qatar, UAE & Jordan that I know of..) and Britain (b/c of the British Mandate) besides here in the States.

In this series PCGS grades more strictly it seemed to me all along - the set had at least 40 lots that broke price records...all where hand picked carefully and upgraded over the years so at this point in our hosts holders they were mostly superior for the grade or easily a grade up in NGC holders.

Regardless of the reasons noted - in over 30 years I have seen strong interest in this short series since from around 1982 (well pre-slab days) when I sold privately an almost complete Mandate set (all 59pcs) missing a few key dates in UNC to Howard Berlin. It was a rather strong price at that time if I recall at 12K, and I had two others bidding against him.

Deslock the key date 1931 100 Mil in MS like your wrote unbelievable indeed, is avidly pursued worldwide - as is the 1931 50 Mil that also brought a crazy drop dead record price of 25K which is way finer than presently graded 63... in hand most likely one to two grades higher. The new owners will have many lovely nights with these under the pillow image

At least I know the prices paid were deserving and not just someone buying hype - that has irritated me for long time - I have always been more in favor of eye appeal ..as in a better example in said grade, and overall presentation of the coin in hand..to my eyes... not the pop numbers or hype of being pop 1 .

What an incredible journey it's been.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats- terrific results

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Wawawiwa image congrats Marc! any word about who bought them? collectors, dealers ? were you watching it from the floor? we want juice image
    Those Mints are money makers!
    Palestine mandate coins
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    1931 50 Mils - Krause catalog price(s) for this item: $500 in UNC. image

1931 50 Mils - Heritage Reality ($$$$) for this item: $24,675 in UNC.

Congrats Marc - well done!!! image
  • Options
    Mac yup throw the book out...lol..totally beyond my imagination but makes sense...what is not available easily or/and within a relatively short time span..say 5 years or less.. will bring top $..all you need is two avid collectors to make a market.

Tali..I know who bought the '31 50 Mil as he got in touch with me that evening and let me know.
    He's putting together a top set also, and was ready to kill to buy that one from me..for much less..a number of times....I have since let go of my personal protection detailimage

I don't know who purchased the '31 100 Mil yet. But I do know it was the 2nd finest example known and just impossible to find this grade or level of preservation.

I understand most of the set sold live to the floor, and live phone ...the '31 50 Mil was phone bid live....I was predisposed at that hour and left it in the hands of the Lord - seems he carried his duties rather well for me this time around ...besides I probably would not mentally have been able to watch the action altogether image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic results. Congrats!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    marcmoish - congrats! Its good to see such success in the hands of a fellow forum member. The passion and care it took to build are evident in the final results. image
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have always been more in favor of eye appeal ..as in a better example in said grade, and overall presentation of the coin in hand..to my eyes... not the pop numbers or hype of being pop 1 . >>

I couldn't agree more. Congratulations!