Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Great Britain: gold half-sovereign of Queen Victoria, 1901, from the Terner Collection

Great Britain: gold half-sovereign of Queen Victoria, 1901, from the Terner Collection

Obverse: veiled old head of Queen Victoria left.

Reverse: Pistrucci's Greco-Romanized rendition of Saint George slaying the Dragon: St. George right, naked except for cape, on back of rearing horse, wielding gladius-style short sword to strike at dragon below.

KM 784, .917 gold/.1177 oz. 3.99 g. Mintage: 2,037,999. PCGS MS64, with Terner pedigree noted on label. Cert. #90089936. Ex-Dimitri Gotzamanis, Athens, Greece (aka "SYRACUSIAN" on Collectors Universe), January, 2005, through a private trade. Prior provenance to the collection of Dr. Jacob Terner, purchased by him in 1982 and sold by Goldberg's as Lot 406 in the Pre-Long Beach Auction of May 26-27, 2003.

I've had this beautiful little coin for many years now. It used to be one of the important pieces in my daughter's 1901 Victorian type set, but in early 2014, when she decided she really wasn't that interested in collecting coins, I sold her collection to reinvest the proceeds into something else until she grows up. I decided to keep this coin for myself, though, and so "bought" it back from Victoria to include in my own "Box of 20" collection.

Miscellaneous links:

PCGS cert verification page

NGC/Krause priceguide trends

2003 Goldberg auction listing (Lot 406, this coin)

Wikipedia links:

Queen Victoria

Half sovereign

Saint George and the Dragon

Benedetto Pistrucci

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Prior to that, it was part of my daughter's Victoria Hope Collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    It used to be one of the important pieces in my daughter's 1901 Victorian type set, but in early 2014, when she decided she really wasn't that interested in collecting coins, I sold her collection to reinvest the proceeds into something else until she grows up.

Wow, Victoria's old enough to tell you that she's not interested in the set that you've been building for her for so long..... Sad, but not unexpected. I guess that it should be a lesson to the rest of us who pretend to collect coins on behalf of our kids. Most if not all will prefer to use the money for something else. I intend to buy a 2011 5 coin proof sovereign set (from 1/4sov to £5), but that's her birthyear, it's gold and it will be in a safe deposit for her until she's 18.

Other than that, excellent choice for your box. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you are keeping that one image. I would bet that in about 10-20 years or so she will be a happy young lady to find out you kept one of the coins (and the nicest one too). Budding teenagers are contrary things and you just have to ignore them sometimes image.

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    LordM,

I agree with Stork. My daughter is still under the official teenager threshold at 10, but she definitely qualifies as a "tween" and I do not take all of her statements seriously because of that. Bear in mind that many teenagers these days think it is awesome to walk around in pseudovampire (goth) clothing and you get my drift. They are lost and weird creatures.

Also, I am very impressed with your accounting ability. You are the Enron of collecting companies for you and Victoria!

(Seriously, great coin, and glad you kept it. Silly teenagers.)
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Acquiring year of birth 1 Troy ounce gold Pandas for my kids firmly established me to keep going with the series and acquiring other PM coins (mostly gold and some platinum and silver) as a form of savings and satisfying my collector needs. I have given gold coins to nephews/nieces and daughter for their wedding (wedding year issue). Just recently bought a proof 2014 Sovereign for my first grandchild/grandson born last Feb 13. It is something I can pass off to them with value. Hopefully, they will continue on with their family or at the minimum help them with their financial needs.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>… in early 2014 … I sold her collection … >>

Sold already? I thought it was still currently for sale on the bay? (though not much longer) image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE