Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

LM2E- export pouch data & pictures of finds from my November, 2013 England metal detecting trip

Hi, everybody. Sorry I've been rather scarce around the forums these past few months. Went through a bit of a rough patch (a rather deep depression after the trip), but I have since changed jobs (for the better), so things are looking up. I was also involved in a pretty bad car accident around the end of January. (Both vehicles were totaled, but both drivers walked away. The airbags saved my life. I had some pretty spectacular bruises, but they've just about faded now).

I hope I can get back into the numismatic swing of things and rejoin y'all here eventually. Sold some of my coins to make that trip, so I intend to work a bit on my collection this year, now that I have a (slightly) better paying job.

Here's the data from my export pouch from the November 1-7, 2013 detecting trip to the Colchester area in Essex, UK. (Though the application says "October").

These are my live "field reports" posted on the forums at the time. (rather "quick n' dirty", since I had only a tiny Android tablet with me).
This is the November, 2013 finds page from the club website.

You can see my Edward I and Charles I pennies as well as my medieval trade weight, if you scroll down far enough on that club page. The Marcus Aurelius sestertius was found by another digger within an hour of my first outing. The gold thimble was found on the day I stayed in the barn after my detector failed. The gold quarter-noble and last few Celtic gold pieces were found within a day or two after my departure.

The majority of the "Post-Tudor buttons" in the last two pictures were found by other diggers on the trip and were destined for the scrap bin. I thought it a shame to throw away historical relics like that, even such modest ones, and figured they might make fun giveaways later if anybody here wants some. So the other diggers "donated" some of their "scrap" finds to me to put into my pouch.

Unbeknownst to anyone, it appears there were two coins or tokens mixed in with the donated "scrap" buttons, and I have no idea what they are! You can see them in grids #12 and 13 in the fifth picture. Looks like they're pretty bent up. They're obviously old, and look pretty thin- apparently hammered pieces. (Jetons, maybe? We'll see.) The other two copper coins to the left of them are the ones I personally found- a 1730 George II farthing and a 1916 George V halfpenny.

I also deliberately saved one piece of 20th century scrap metal (that piece of WW2 shrapnel) because I had a hunch it was a relic of the Battle of Britain, and WW2 history interests me. To think that was probably fired from a British AA gun at a Luftwaffe bomber in 1940- pretty fascinating, eh?

There's no physical sign of the finds here, yet. It's obviously a glacially slow process, but hey, that's all right. The export license has been applied for, so eventually I will have the goodies on this side of the pond.

It'll likely be months yet before I can edit the hours of video I shot (most of which isn't that great) into something resembling a 30-minute to 1-hour movie.

Thank you all again for your wonderful support in sending me on this trip. I checked a really big one off the "bucket list"- something I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to do.

No, I didn't get anything supremely valuable, and that gold coin eluded me. (Some of the other guys did find some, including that gold quarter-noble, within a day or two after I left). But it was literally the "adventure of a lifetime" for me, and I'll cherish those two hammered silver pennies I dug for the rest of my days. (I never sell my dug coins.) In monetary terms, the value of my finds, when weighed against the cost of the trip (both to the donors and a couple grand of my own money) means it was not a profitable venture. But do I care a bit about that? Nope! In terms of adventure and fun, was all the expense, physical hardship, and travel worth it? YOU BET IT WAS!

~RWS

<< <i>Robertson Shinnick Export Ref RSOct2013
675 Georgetown Rd
Brunswick
Georgia
31523 USA

Metal detecting finds for export found Oct 2013. Location East of Colchester.

1. 1641-3 Charles 1st hammered silver penny - mintmark 2 dots
2. 1300-1310 Edward Ist hammered silver penny - Closed E, outcurving h- Cross pattee - Crown 1 - Type 10 cf3 Obv +EDWAR ANGL DNS hYB Rev CIVI/TAS/LON/DON - London mint
3. Medieval trade weight
4.18thC clog fastener
5. 1500-1700 mount
6. 4 lead musket balls/shot
7. Post medieval lead bale seal
8. Post medieval lead alnage cloth seal
9. Post medieval harness ring
10. 18thC crotal bell
11. WWII AA flack shell fragment
12. 8 clay pipe stems
18. 19thC Rim fire cartridge cap
19. Georgian mount
20. Georgian draw pull back plate

25 Post Tudor glass and pottery shards

17 Post Tudor glass and pottery shards

21 Post Tudor glass and pottery shards

1. 13 Post Tudor glass and pottery shards
11. 4- 18tht to 20thC copper coins
14. 6 nails/tacks
16. 6 buckle fragments
19. 1500-1700 mount
20. Georgian draw pull

70 Post Tudor buttons

54 Post Tudor buttons

C.Meitiner
01206 231962 >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Man, I know you didn't find anything to make you rich there, but what a cool trip. So cool.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impressive and inspiring.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like you had an interesting and productive trip.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great write up & photos, Rob.

Sorry about the rough patch, at least your OK. image
  • Welcome back

Interesting stuff image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to have you back!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will everyone whose avatar is a coin they've dug on foreign soil please stand up.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Awesome batch of finds, i hope you come up with some creative way to display them. For some reason i am drawn to that pile of buttons, do any have designs?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some of the buttons will have designs and backmarks, but haven't examined them closely yet. (As witnessed by the fact that two apparent hammered coins snuck in under the radar amongst them!)

I think a couple of the Georgian buttons I found had backmarks; the typical "GILT" and "ORANGE COLOUR" and such.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Man, how in the heck did you identify all that history in the first grid? Lead bale seal, crotal bell, harness cap ... Did you have help ID'ing stuff or did you just know already from experience?

What drew you to that particular dig site? It sounds like many folks go there. Is it a very popular place to dig?

Congrats on your triumphant return home and the new employment. I understand the circumstances are an improvement all-around. I hope they treat you with all the kindness and respect you deserve. And no more rough patches! You aren't allowed! You've already had too many over your ration, it's not fair to the rest of us image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

<< <i>Man, how in the heck did you identify all that history in the first grid? Lead bale seal, crotal bell, harness cap ... Did you have help ID'ing stuff or did you just know already from experience? >>

That wasn't me, though I did have a vague idea about some of it.

All of the italicized text is quoted verbatim from the export application done by Chris Meitener, the club leader and British contact. He made a few minor errors himself, like calling the pinfire cartridge casing a "rim fire" cartridge. But so what.

<< <i>What drew you to that particular dig site? It sounds like many folks go there. Is it a very popular place to dig? >>

The Colchester group I went with is a very popular tour. (See the site linked to in the OP.)

But they're pretty hardcore, and not for beginners, probably. I'm a veteran detectorist and was sorely outclassed in equipment, experience, and physical stamina by all the others. Although in my late 40s, I was the second youngest one on the tour.

I went with an organized tour so all the site permissions and ground transportation and export legalities would be taken care of.

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool Rob & welcome back, and I'm so glad no one was hurt

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
    Mid-May... six months on, and still no finds exported.

And my last email to the club leader went unanswered. image

I know I'm not being ripped off, but ... man, it's taking a long time.

Hey, you let us know if those jamokes don't send your stuff soon. I'll organize a "nicholasz2E" to "handle" some matters like they do downtown. Chicago-style.

Meaning: I'll bribe them, lol.
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    man, olden people sure did lose alotta buttons image
    Lol, Hyperion I thought the same thing. I mean, what used to happen in that field? People ripping their shirts off to fight barechested? Weird. Why so many buttons?

<< <i>I mean, what used to happen in that field? People ripping their shirts off to fight barechested? Weird. Why so many buttons? >>

You should've seen what we found in one field the morning after Guy Fawkes' Night. There was a gym bag with various bits of women's clothing, a gigantic purple lace bra, and a pair of anatomically correct strap-on false breasts.

In short, a drag queen kit. All thrown into a hedge on the site where a medieval marketplace had once been. Go figure.

LM, I have learned to not ask questions as of now.
    At least I spared you the video of that particular find. imageimage

All of that dig trip is on video, but I still have yet to edit any of it, as mentioned. One day I'll make another mini-movie out of it.

One jinx I seemed to have had while over there was that every time I made a good coin find, I failed to get good video footage. The Edward I penny was found after dark, and I'd forgotten my headlamp that night. So the video is all just my disembodied voice in the darkness, groping around, feeling a thin hammered coin in my hand, and not knowing what it was. Then the day I found the Charles I penny and the 1730 farthing, I forgot to put the SD card back in my headmounted camera, so no live video of those finds, either. I had to content myself with some shaky, blurry, handheld video clips taken after the fact with my wife's point-and-shoot camera.

One day I'll get a movie out, though.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I mean, what used to happen in that field? People ripping their shirts off to fight barechested? Weird. Why so many buttons? >>

You should've seen what we found in one field the morning after Guy Fawkes' Night. There was a gym bag with various bits of women's clothing, a gigantic purple lace bra, and a pair of anatomically correct strap-on false breasts.

In short, a drag queen kit. All thrown into a hedge on the site where a medieval marketplace had once been. Go figure. >>

I never had you placed as a drag queen - but I am shocked practically everyday with the information I see on CNN so I guess I can digest it.image
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thread! I like those hammered coins!