Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Need help with some Russian coins from the 1700s

My earliest Krause goes back to 1800 only. I believe they are Russian anyway - I know the one is at least. Cant make out the date on the small one.

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooooh, be very careful with those. Heavily counterfeited area.

4 of them are Roubles and a smaller one with a worn bust is a Poltina (1/2 Rouble). The Nicholas II (smallest one of the bunch) is a coronation Rouble from 1896, if i'm not mistaken. About $700 in AU. The top one is a 1726 Catherine I Rouble. 1724 Rouble is Peter I (Peter the Great). 1733 is Anna. All 3 of those are around $1,000 each in VF-XF condition. Poltina is from the reign of Peter I, as well. Can't read the date. No idea of the price, but a very nice XF example was recently sold by Kunker in June for just north of $5,000.

I would not touch coins like that unless they were already certified, but then again - I have very little experience with Imperial Russia.
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Really! That much!
    I guess I need to sent these in. If they are counterfeits they are well done. But I admit to knowing little about them. But I am known to gamble. Probably better odds than all the money I "donated" to the fire hall last night.

Nice patina on this one

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are nice!

If they're real.

I see no obvious red flags, but this is not my arena, and as mentioned, these are often counterfeited.

I think I have an extra 18th century Krause around, if you need one. It's a few years old.

(Edit- nope, sorry- turns out I sold that one. The extra one remaining is a 19th century volume.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Meant to pm
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow - you are sitting on a goldmine if those are real. I like the patina on the coronation rouble in particular. Its been a few years since I stepped away from Russian material so I can't offer a strong opinion either way. Are they recent purchases? If so, was the seller knowledgeable about what he had? Answers to these questions might help paint a better picture. Perhaps you had them tucked away for the last 15 years and you are only now rediscovering them. Regardless, even if only one is authentic, then cost to send to TPG is worth it.

<< <i>Regardless, even if only one is authentic, then cost to send to TPG is worth it. >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    For what its worth - i think at least the coronation Rouble is authentic. Let me do some comparisons to some authenticated pieces. How are the edges? If i'm not mistaken, these had writing on the edge.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take a chance at the right price from the pictures. I sold my fairly extensive Russian Collection just as the market was starting down. The in hand look in the pictures appears good to me.
    Yeah, can't help you. There are apparently a number of varieties for the busts and unless someone has Diakov or Bitkin references, I think your best bet is to send these in.
    Thanks everyone for the help especially TK. I just purchased them that morning at a local flea market I have had good luck with in the past. Going to be sending them off later this week to PCGS. Hopefully the turn around times have come down compared to what they were last time I submitted.

I dunno what you paid for those, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that there's a new "You Suck!" award in the making, here.

We shall see!

Keep us posted on the PCGS results.

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... I've got a sneaking suspicion that there's a new "You Suck!" award in the making, here. >>

I was going to say the same thing. Dang it.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I am leery of the reeding on the Peter I ruble. Then again I am leery of any coin I find in a flea market. But, if these all turn out to be good, then I am very happy for you and your find. Check the weights and how the coin sounds. Might save you a few bucks on grading if they are fakes.
    ttt to go with my new post