Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I need further details of these coins and approx. sale value.

I have two Gold Coins as below

Gold Coin stater of Phillip II of macedon
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151111624231877&set=o.205164962916111&type=1&theater

Gold Coin Stater Cyrene in Libya
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151111635966877&set=o.205164962916111&type=1&permPage=1

I need further details of these coins and approx. sale value.
Shakeel Ahmed

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's stater, not "starter".

With ancient coins, values will vary widely. We really need to see pictures to get a better idea of a value, and even then, it will be approximate at best.

Boy, I'd love to have me some gold staters, but they're too rich for my blood!

You can go to VCoins.com, click on the Ancient Coins tab, and do some keyword searches for comparison. That, and closed auctions.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Thanks for reply.

I have given facebook links which you can copy paste in browser to see the pictures.
    Shakeel Ahmed
  • One of my friend told me price is around 900000$$ for two coins. but another friend is saying 100000$$ for these two coins. i am confused.
    Shakeel Ahmed
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    As Lord M indicated, its really hard to tell from the facebook images but I'll hazard a guess. As a starting point after looking at a couple of sites (Vcoins and the CNG archives), nice Philip staters seem to retail in the US$3-5000. The Kyrene piece appears to be better with a value of maybe up to twice the Philip. This assumes that they're authentic, undamaged and in nice condition.

Looking at the scans, neither coins appears to be a rarity warrenting the values you mentioned but these are outside of my areas of interest and I'm sure one of the dealer members of the forum will be along directly to provide a better indication of the market value.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... nice Philip staters seem to retail in the US$3-5000. The Kyrene piece appears to be better with a value of maybe up to twice the Philip. This assumes that they're authentic, undamaged and in nice condition.
    >>

STLNATS is accurate. The Philip staters are in the US$3-5000. But I have seen mint state exceptionally artistic examples go for $6000 and a little more. And as STLNATS said the Kyrene up to twice as much.

But "900000$$ for two coins. but another friend is saying 100000$" is completely unrealistic and fantasy.

I can't tell if the small pictures you linked to are your coins or just examples of what you have. But if you really want an estimate of value you will need to post real useful pictures of your coins.

I collect history in the form of coins.

<< <i>One of my friend told me price is around 900000$$ for two coins. but another friend is saying 100000$$ for these two coins. i am confused. >>

That is WAY too many zeros! By about two decimal places!

Maybe if you put a decimal before the last two digits and made it $9,000.00 for a pair of gold staters, it still might not be accurate, but at least it would be FAR closer to the realm of reality.

Of course there is no knowing that without better pictures, authentication, etc.

$900,000? That's almost a million dollars!

Where did these friends of yours pull their numbers from? Thin air? image

There aren't very many coins of ANY type in that stratosphere, and even the few that are have their values set at auction.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Thanks for the kind replies.

i will update the high resolution pictures soon.
    Shakeel Ahmed
    Hey, if they're real, they're nice coins. Not worth a million dollars, haha, but still very nice.

I have not looked at the Facebook photos yet.

OK, I copied and pasted your pictures.

What, are those pages out of some book?

A book that actually calls them starters? Beware!

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some well known ancient coin dealers who sell staters.

Check them and see what they sell them for.

My only stater came from Harlan J. Berk of Chicago.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Below is the link of my both coins back side picture.

Back side Picutres of my both coins
    Shakeel Ahmed
  • Other details about coins can be seen by clicking on below links

other detail about coin

Other details of 2nd coin
    Shakeel Ahmed