Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Dutch Republic 2 Stuivers 1777

imageimage

Hello,

I am looking for more information about this coin, where it was minted and where it was used. Would greatly appreciate that

Year: 1777
Face Value: 2 Stuivers
KM: 48
OBV: Crowned Arms of Holland Lettering 2 S
REV: Privy Mark Rose Above Lettering "HOL LAN DIA" 1777
Composition: Silver
Weight (g): 1.6
Diameter (mm): 20.08
Coin & Banknote Personal Collection Manager
http://www.exonumi.com

Comments

• AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    It was minted in Dordrecht - province Holland , and it was used in the Netherlands in circulation.
    these (second) types were minted between 1672 - 1793, and also minted in gold (3,5 gram) used as a new years gift.(non circulation)KM 48a
    (first type (1614-1670) is about the same, but with a bigger Lion on the obverse without the crown)

the name Holland is a bit confusing, before 1806 it ment the province of Holland , which is nowadays called the province Zuid-Holland. (South Holland)
    nowadays there is also the province of Noord-Holland , which was formerly known as the province West Frisia.

after Napoleon occupied the Netherlands , he installed his brother as King of Holland (1806-1810)
    the name of the province Holland was now used for all the provinces of the Netherlands.

after the defeat of Napoleon, the son of Stadholder Willem the V was declared , King of the Netherlands an installed as King Willem the first of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
    and the name Holland was once again used as a name of a province, although the Netherlands is also known abroard as Holland.
    Pffff.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Andres,

As usual you are really helpful.

I have three pieces of that coin.

May I ask your opinion, what is the quality of that coin?

And one more, can you please share with me Passon's catalog number?

Thanks again!
    Coin & Banknote Personal Collection Manager
    http://www.exonumi.com
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Grade : Very Fine - Passon catalog number: 2.18.97

Here's a coin from the province of West Frisia , nowadays known as the province of Noord Holland (North Holland)

these coins , yours & mine are called: Dubbele Wapen Stuivers ( Double Shield Stivers)
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.