Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Rome (Imperial): silver denarius of Domitian, (81-96 AD), struck ca. 92 AD

Ancient Rome (Imperial): silver denarius of Domitian, (81-96 AD), struck ca. 92 AD

Obverse- IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P P TR P XI, laureate head right.
Reverse- IMP XXI COS XVI CENS P P P, Minerva standing right on capital of rostral column, holding spear and shield, owl at feet.

RIC 730, RSC 274, 18.2 mm, 3.63 g. NGC Choice VF (Strike 5/5, Surface 3/5). Ex-Zuzim Judaea, 1/11/2011, purchased raw.

Domitian* was the last of "The Twelve Caesars"*. I think this type is relatively common, but the coin is a really bright and lustrous example and grabbed my eye. I was frankly surprised it didn't grade XF or better, but I don't really care so much about technical grades anyway- I slabbed my Twelve Caesars coins mostly for display purposes. NGC did recognize the super sharp strike on this piece. I see they attribute the object Minerva is standing on as a "prow", while Wildwinds has it as the "capital of (a) rostral column". Eh, whatever. I really like this piece and it looks even better in hand.

Original seller page
NGC cert verification page

As of the last edit, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.
It was originally part of my "Twelve Caesars" Roman collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments