Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Rome (Imperial): bronze as of Claudius, ca. 41-54 AD

Ancient Rome (Imperial): bronze as of Claudius, ca. 41-54 AD

Obverse- TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP P P, bare head left.
Reverse- LIBERTAS AVGVSTA/ S-C, Libertas standing facing with pileus, extending left hand.

RIC 113, 28 mm, 9.03 g. NGC Choice Fine (Strike 3/5, Surface 3/5, "sand patina"), cert. #4094567-003. Ex-eBay, July 2011, purchased raw.

Claudius is known for leading the invasion of Britain in 43 AD. He is an interesting character. Probably much of that has to do with his fictionalization in Robert Graves' 1934 novel I, Claudius, which was later made into an excellent BBC television adaptation in 1976. I can remember watching the show then (I had just begun collecting coins), but a lot of it went over my young head at the time, as I had no knowledge of Roman history. I'd love to rewatch those shows now, and the newer HBO adaptation, if it has been released.

I've always liked "sandy" or "desert" patina on late Roman coins from the eastern empire, but have hardly ever seen it on earlier Imperial coins like this. I've forgotten who I bought this from, though I think it was off eBay. I saved some partial notes, though unfortunately they didn't include the seller's name or the exact cost. I do remember being happy with the price. As I recall, the seller said this coin was struck at Tarraco in Spain, circa 50-54 AD.

NGC cert verification page
Coins of Claudius (Wildwinds reference)

Wikipedia links:
Claudius
As (Roman coin)
Libertas
I, Claudius (book)
Roman conquest of Britain

As of the last edit, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.
It was originally part of my "Twelve Caesars" Roman collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments