Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Ancient Rome (Imperial): silver denarius of Tiberius, ca. 14-37 AD: the biblical "Tribute Penny

Ancient Rome (Imperial): silver denarius of Tiberius, ca. 14-37 AD: the biblical "Tribute Penny"

Obverse- TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS, laureate head right.
Reverse- PONTIF MAXIM, Livia as Pax, seated right on throne with ornate legs, single line below, holding long scepter and olive branch.

RIC 30, 18 mm, 3.77 g. NGC Choice Fine (Strike 4/5, Surface 3/5), cert.#4095350-002. Ex-Michael Swoveland ("Aethelred"), Collectors Universe, January 2011. Purchased raw.

For a Tiberius type coin, one simply must have the "Tribute Penny" of biblical fame, right? Many believe that the Tiberius denarii, which circulated during the life, ministry, and crucifixion of Christ, were the coin of the legend. So they're eternally popular and historically important. The Tribute penny from my original collection in 2007 came from Michael Swoveland, and by coincidence, when it came time to find another, I bought this one from him as well. It is of similar grade with my first one, though I like the toning on this one a bit better. Both were around the same price.

NGC cert verification page
Coins of Tiberius (Wildwinds reference)

Wikipedia links:
Tiberius
Tribute penny
Denarius
Pax (mythology)

As of the last edit, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.
It was originally part of my "Twelve Caesars" Roman collection.

And they sent unto him certain of the Pharisees and of the Herodians, to catch him in his words. And when they were come, they say unto him, Master, we know that thou art true, and carest for no man: for thou regardest not the person of men, but teachest the way of God in truth: Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not? Shall we give, or shall we not give? But he, knowing their hypocrisy, said unto them, Why tempt ye me? bring me a penny, that I may see it. And they brought it. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? And they said unto him, Caesar's. And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.Mark 12:13-17, King James Version

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably my most wanted coin in the 12 caesars series, not because of the bible stuff but just cause Tiberius was one screwed up SOB.

This coin is a very nice piece.