Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexican Numismatics, and Numismatic Publishing, at the ANA World's Fair of Money

Next month, you’re invited to visit the Whitman Publishing booth at the
American Numismatic Association World’s Fair of Money, in Chicago,
August 16–20, 2011. Meet your favorite authors, browse the latest
hobby books, talk to other collectors, and study amazing super-rare
coins on display. I look forward to seeing you there!

The ANA show is being held at the Stephens Convention Center on
North River Road, Rosemont, Illinois. (Popularly referred to as “Chicago,”
Rosemont is actually slightly northwest of the city, situated between
O’Hare and the Chicago Loop.)

Here are a couple ANA Numismatic Theatre presentations you might be interested in:

Fifty Years in the Making: A Guide Book of Mexican Money, with Don Bailey.
Whitman Publishing announces the launch of a multiple-volume reference set on the coins,
tokens, medals, and paper money of our neighbor to the south, Mexico. Award-winning
researcher and longtime coin dealer Don Bailey has written the authoritative new guide to
Mexican numismatics—a guide so big it will be published in four volumes. In this Numismatic
Theatre, Bailey is joined by Whitman publisher Dennis Tucker as they discuss the new book
series and give an overview of Mexican numismatics.

Award-winning numismatic author Don Bailey grew to love Mexican history and culture
while serving in the U.S. Marines in the 1950s; his service took him to the American Southwest,
where he lived for nearly 20 years. Today Bailey is recognized—by collectors, researchers, and
the Mexican government itself—as an expert in Mexican numismatics. Dennis Tucker has
collected world coins since childhood, and is honored to help bring Don Bailey’s richly detailed
work to the hobby community. Friday, August 19, at 1:00 p.m. in Room #3.

How to Succeed in Numismatic Publishing (By Really Trying).
“Scratch the surface of the average hobbyist,” says Whitman publisher Dennis Tucker,
“and chances are you’ll find someone who loves to read; you might even find a writer
underneath, or an author, or both.” Working in the publishing industry, Tucker gets asked
plenty of questions about how to break into print—how to go from unpublished amateur
writer to honest-to-goodness capital-A “Author.” There’s no magic ticket to becoming
a famous writer, but this Numismatic Theatre presentation will map out a path to get
you started.

Dennis Tucker is an active collector of coins, tokens, and medals. His professional background
is in corporate and nonprofit communications, marketing, public relations, and publishing.
Whitman has released more than 100 numismatic books under his tenure as publisher,
including the popular Bowers Series, several award-winning encyclopedias, and recent
forays into DVD, e-book, and other digital formats. Friday, August 19, at 10:00 p.m.
in Room #3.

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both those course will be geat to attend.

I plan too.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both those course will be geat to attend.

I plan too.

You've obviously been spending too much time around Laura! image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to the new Don Bailey/Whitman book(s) on Mexican numismatics? There was some hype, the books never became available, and not a peep since?

Have they sunk to the bottom of the ocean on their way from China like some Spanish treasure?

These books are in the running, along with Karl Moulton's book on John J. Ford, Jr., for the longest-running tease in numismatics.
  • Options
    Any word on these books? At least Karl Moulton's book has finally been released!

These are going on 53 years in the making....
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    I was drooling ...until I saw the date of the original thread! image
  • Options
    Things move slowly in the South.... image
  • Options
    Ahoy! The galleon has been sighted! The crossing has taken well-nigh 4 years. The cargo of books hopefully on board!

What, alas, was the delay? Was there a mutiny and the ship was sailing without full crew? Did cannibal rats eat the quartermaster?

And behold, the cover, shown for the very first time! What's that? A falsa front and center! image

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent!

Will there be a deluxe version of any sort sold?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many volumes?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>Will there be a deluxe version of any sort sold? >>

Knowing Whitman, they will produce 500 copies bound in the finest Chinese pig skin, signed by Dave Bowers and his entire family up to the level of second cousin.

But in reality, how would I know?