Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

This is a 1st. Ebay seller thinks US Shield nickel is a US-PI 5 Centavos.

I've seen sellers not recognize US-PI coinage before, but I've never one call a US Shield Nickel a US-PI 5 Centavos.

Here's the link.

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She does mention she knows nothing of coins. Did you send a polite note telling
    her what she has?

bobimage

PS: I sent the note.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Saw this thread in a search result, had to read. Sadly the image is no longer on eBay but of course ... I know what the types look like and they aren't THAT similar ...

Pretty funny but it happens. And when it does, it's usually a great opportunity for someone knowledgable to get a rip. Or educate the seller and negotiate a fair price. But on eBay ... education rarely happens. I have sent many messages to sellers over the years and almost all of them were ignored or defensive.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    eBay does not maintain 3-years old listing pages
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>eBay does not maintain 3-years old listing pages >>

I don't understand this comment. Did you click on the OP's link expecting a photo?!? I stated the photo would not be there ...

The topic is: failed attempts to educate ebay sellers who don't know what they've got (and subsequently misrepresent their coin lots). This is an age-old debate amongst numismatists. Many are of the persuasion that there's nothing ethically wrong with paying the full asking price, even though you know it's exponentially lower than the true value. While others feel ethically and morally compelled to educate the seller and offer a "fair" price so that both parties walk away happy.

I believe if you are looking to build relationships and long-term trust, the latter is the best option. However if you are at a flea market or bulk auction site (like eBay), deals are expected. Sometimes people list things for low prices because they want to sell quickly and move product. Sometimes they just ignore your messages, as has been my experience.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE