Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1933 one peso chile

I'm not sure what kind of bird is on the coin, but the pose is really cool.

Comments

• Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure what kind of bird is on the coin, but the pose is really cool.
    image >>

It is an Andean Condor (Vulture)
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I like this particular series quite a bit-nice example!
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    What grade would you give it? Value?
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    xf-au $1.75-xf, $3.50-unc
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like these, too. They're a nice size and I like the color they acquire- they almost look silver sometimes. I found several in a junk bin and snaffled 'em all up, at the last show I went to.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭
    I've always wondered about the use of the Hammer & Sickle emblem on the reverse of some Chilean coins. The earliest usage I found was 1895, which seems to predate the Bolshevik Revolution by a generation or so. Was the symbol used in Chile for political reasons? Was it associated with Marxism then? Or is it unrelated to the later use/co-opting by the Bolshevik Party? (Wikipedia suggests the emblem was made during the Bolshevic revolution, but an 1895 Chile Peso sorta refutes that.) Any ideas? I just found it interesting that this symbol was in use 20 years and half-a-world away before it took center stage in Eastern Europe.
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some more from Chile:

Chile 2 Pesos 1927

A different representation of the bird:

Chile 50 Centavos 1870

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've always wondered about the use of the Hammer & Sickle emblem on the reverse of some Chilean coins. The earliest usage I found was 1895, which seems to predate the Bolshevik Revolution by a generation or so. Was the symbol used in Chile for political reasons? Was it associated with Marxism then? Or is it unrelated to the later use/co-opting by the Bolshevik Party? (Wikipedia suggests the emblem was made during the Bolshevic revolution, but an 1895 Chile Peso sorta refutes that.) Any ideas? I just found it interesting that this symbol was in use 20 years and half-a-world away before it took center stage in Eastern Europe. >>

This is an excellent question and some good points as well.
    I had noticed the imagery but never gave it a second thought.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...