Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Netherlands 1980 1 Gulden, Silver or Nickel?

(Question 1 Here)
(Question 2 Here)
(Question 4 Here)
(Question 5 Here)

Question 3:
Is this Netherlands 1980 1 Gulden, Silver or Nickel?
The Standard Catalog of World Coins says that if it is nickel it is worth about $0.50 but if it is silver it is worth a lot more then that. Is there a way to tell if it is silver or nickel without weighing it? (I don't have an accurate scale) Perhaps the Silver one is a different design? You can't tell from my crappy pictures, but the coin appears to be prooflike, if not proof.

Thanks,
Cheddy

Comments

• BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    It looks copper-nickel to me. The silver one apparently has a 'Z' mark to signify 'zilver' or 'silver'... maybe someone else will be able to tell for certain which one you have.
  • CheddyCheddy Posts: 411 ✭✭
    It does have a Z on the edge lettering. It says " IJ MET ONE GOD Z"
    But in the The Standard Catalog of World Coins it says that the nickel coins also have the same thing on the edge.
  • wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    I would buy a better scale, as the silver is 6.500 grams and the nickel is 6.000 grams. The difference is a $1000 coin vs a $1 coin
  • CheddyCheddy Posts: 411 ✭✭
    Yeah I planned on doing that for a while now. The scale I have rounds to the nearest gram which isn't very helpful when dealing with coins.
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Cheddy, That guilder of yours is the standard nickel one.

The silver ones have a small z next to the mintmark on the obverse side.

the edge motto is present on both coins, it reads * GOD * ZIJ * MET * ONS , meaning God is with us

the 1980 silver proof guilder is part of a rare set , 1 and 2 1/2 guilder offered as a gift to the personnal of the Dutch Mint.

total issue: 157 sets - catalog value: 1200 Euros

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.