Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Krause isn't the only digital coin book!

Actually, the Scott reference for stamps has been digital for quite some time now (though they've had problems with piracy and will be beefing up security on the next version). And I'm fairly certain there are a few German references sold on CD too. So, yeah, Krause is definitely behind the curve.

But that's not what I'm talking about here...

Available free for the taking (legally!) are several great old coin references whose copyrights have passed. These are a part of Microsoft's initiative to scan library collections in the public domain. They feature excellent quality text and images (with exceptions), a wide range of titles in PDF and other formats and can easily suck your time away for hours on end!

Free numismatics books!
(or search titles here)

Some interesting titles:
The Coin Collector's Manual, or, Guide to the numismatic student in the formation of a cabinet of coins [1853]
Vol. I -- Vol. II

Dye's Coin Encyclopaedia: A complete Illustrated History of the Coins of the World [1883]

Provincial Copper Coins or Tokens issued between the years 1787 & 1796, engraved by Charles Pye of Birmingham [1796!]

Valentine's Sassanian coins [1921]

and many more!

Many files are quite large, dialuppers beware! (but give it a try anyway) Whatever system MS used to create the PDFs makes them pretty sluggish rendering each page.

Comments