Options

Silver is in high demand....

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He has done a similar activity with gold coins.... no one took him up on his ridiculous offer. Obviously none were astute enough to understand the value or determine authenticity. It would have gone in a heartbeat if one of them were a collector. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must have something to do with the psychology of determining value.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So cohodk, what's your assessment? Are these people onto something, or are they ignorant?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>So cohodk, what's your assessment? Are these people onto something, or are they ignorant? >>

I view these people as being susceptible to being taken advantage of. And as such they will whine and squeaky wheels get the grease. Grease is not made of silver.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He has done a similar activity with gold coins.... no one took him up on his ridiculous offer. Obviously none were astute enough to understand the value or determine authenticity. It would have gone in a heartbeat if one of them were a collector. Cheers, RickO >>

Exactamudo! Most of these J6P's couldn't even tell if the bar were authentic. And unless it was a named bar with identifying hall marks, I'd be leery of taking it instead of the candy bar. Though with a downside of at most 50c (the price of the candy bar that could have been consumed) it's worth the gamble....lol. Most people see an offer that's too good to be true and will just walk...I do that all the time. I figure no way a seller could be giving X away for almost free. And if they are, I don't need their charity that bad. Let some homeless guy get that deal. You can also bet this video will never show those people who do choose the silver bar....as that would not "prove" the intended point.

You could just as easily dangle a stock certificate denoting a share of Apple or the candy bar.....and I'd bet J6P would pick the candy bar. They probably figure the stock cert is bogus any ways. But, let's not make it too easy on old Joe. Offer him a share of Amgen instead.....the Apple brand is too well known. I doubt he's heard of Amgen....and will take the candy. I'd bet on it. Funny thing. I've never seen one of these "official taste tests" offering shares of stock. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Exactamudo! Most of these J6P's couldn't even tell if the bar were authentic. And unless it was a named bar with identifying hall marks, I'd be leery of taking it instead of the candy bar. Though with a downside of at most 50c (the price of the candy bar that could have been consumed) it's worth the gamble....lol. Most people see an offer that's too good to be true and will just walk...I do that all the time. I figure no way a seller could be giving X away for almost free. And if they are, I don't need their charity that bad. Let some homeless guy get that deal. You can also bet this video will never show those people who do choose the silver bar....as that would not "prove" the intended point.

You could just as easily dangle a stock certificate denoting a share of Apple or the candy bar.....and I'd bet J6P would pick the candy bar. They probably figure the stock cert is bogus any ways. But, let's not make it too easy on old Joe. Offer him a share of Amgen instead.....the Apple brand is too well known. I doubt he's heard of Amgen....and will take the candy. I'd bet on it. Funny thing. I've never seen one of these "official taste tests" offering shares of stock

Gambling is strictly prohibited on this website, I ought to know, I was briefly banned for tongue n cheek saying it exactly the way you are. image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>He has done a similar activity with gold coins.... no one took him up on his ridiculous offer. Obviously none were astute enough to understand the value or determine authenticity. It would have gone in a heartbeat if one of them were a collector. Cheers, RickO >>

You could just as easily dangle a stock certificate denoting a share of Apple or the candy bar.....and I'd bet J6P would pick the candy bar. They probably figure the stock cert is bogus any ways. But, let's not make it too easy on old Joe. Offer him a share of Amgen instead.....the Apple brand is too well known. I doubt he's heard of Amgen....and will take the candy. I'd bet on it. Funny thing. I've never seen one of these "official taste tests" offering shares of stock. image >>

And the eternal skeptic is another who is susceptible to being taken advantage of.

• Options
    Like most assets, silver is suffering from the affects of deflation. Any serious student of economics knows that deflation is historically followed by massive inflation. The increased demand for silver is most likely coming from the serious students of economics.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Like most assets, silver is suffering from the affects of deflation. Any serious student of economics knows that deflation is historically followed by massive inflation. The increased demand for silver is most likely coming from the serious students of economics. >>

Lol, any junior high school student or even elementary one who doesn't study economics knows in inflation everything goes up...
    The real smart ones will know to buy ones that throw off cash...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    Rhetoric usually goes up during deflationary periods.image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Like most assets, silver is suffering from the affects of deflation. Any serious student of economics knows that deflation is historically followed by massive inflation. The increased demand for silver is most likely coming from the serious students of economics. >>

Lol, any junior high school student or even elementary one who doesn't study economics knows in inflation everything goes up...
    The real smart ones will know to buy ones that throw off cash... >>

Well, now you know that deflation is historically followed by massive inflation. Class dismissed.

• Options
    Where is the deflation? Hasn't nearly everyone on this board been complaining about rising prices?

A drop in silver price is not deflation.

• Options
    Asset deflation, just another conspiracy theory. image

• Options

<< <i>Asset deflation, just another conspiracy theory. image >>

Like I said, no deflation in rhetoric. I do understand it's tough to be a PM'er these days. Dont worry, the sun will shine again....someday.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm too risk-averse to eat a candy bar offered by a stranger.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

What deflation....name just one major one.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm too risk-averse to get out of bed, much less leave the house image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>

What deflation....name just one major one. >>

let's start with oil

• Options
    Anyone who thinks the price declines in oil and natural gas are due to monetary deflation should probably re-take econ 101

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

let's start with oil >>

That's not deflation, but a glut..oversupply...not enough demand...China...The World...etc..etc.
    The Oil example would have been in place even with high inflation. The old basic...supply & demand in play.
  • Options
    So, rising prices, regardless of cause is known as inflation.

But falling prices, regardless of cause, is not known as deflation. image

According to investopedia.com: "The decline in prices of assets, is often known as Asset Deflation."

<< <i>Anyone who thinks the price declines in oil and natural gas are due to monetary deflation should probably re-take econ 101. >>

No one said price declines in oil and natural gas are due to monetary inflation. What was said was that the decline in prices is known as asset deflation.

Inflation and/or deflation, while often a result of monetary action, do not require monetary action. Speculation alone can inflate or deflate prices.

• Options

• Options

<< <i>Your party of gloom and doomers disagrees with you. >>

Sorry, by definition falling oil prices are considered to be deflation. Faber is correct that low interest rates have fueled higher asset prices. As each of those bubbles pops, asset deflation results. PM's led the way, then oil, next is _________ .

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The power of chocolate image
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry, by definition falling oil prices are considered to be deflation >>

It's a "deflationary asset. Major difference from having deflation throughout the economy.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

let's start with oil >>

That's not deflation, but a glut..oversupply...not enough demand...China...The World...etc..etc.
    The Oil example would have been in place even with high inflation. The old basic...supply & demand in play. >>

We probably should go back to the days of gas guzzling cars and black bellowing smoke industries.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    We probably should go back to the days of gas guzzling cars and black bellowing smoke industries.

golly, what a good comment. More such, please

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should go back to a dollar an hour minimum wage, and get paid with Silver American Eagles.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SDBullion had a 4 hour $4.49 over, any quantity sale yesterday on ASEs. They must be overstocked.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>J6P wants silver >>

Ignorance is in high supply.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

<< <i>

How about Biotech? That's been a major leader "forever." It inflated and went parabolic. It's now deflating rather nicely. The revisionists will claim that it's "still" it up 3.8X since the 2011 bottom. So that means we should ignore the 30% deflation that just occurred? And ignore the break down of the 4 year uptrend? And ignore the 50 dma close to crossing under the 200 dma, the first time in 5 years? The irony of this is that the revisionists were all over the 30% correction in gold by April 18th 2013 ($1923 to $1350ish). But let's just ignore the 30% drop in Bio Tech shares. That wasn't asset deflation...it's "still" asset inflation. image...........then again, when gold hit $1350 in April 2013 wasn't it still up 5.3X since 2001? Yes, but that doesn't fit the scenario that fiat bugs like to present.

Bio Tech

• Options

Silver was suffering from the affects of otc derivatives and naked short futures. Papering over the silver market has worked for years. It was only going to continue to work as long as physical demand didn't overwhelm existing inventories. We already know about JPM's $4 TRILL "nuclear" position in commodity derivatives. Hard to say now what side they are on....short or long.
  • Options
    Is it "nuke"ular, or "new"clear?

Lol

• Options
    Like most assets, silver is suffering from the affects of deflation.

It's "effects," not affects, in this usage.

And price changes of an asset class are not indicative of "inflation" or "deflation" of the currency, as much as reflecting the underlying supply and demand market forces for those particular assets.

No wonder there is so much animosity on the forum. We're not speaking the same language.

• Options

<< <i>Is it "nuke"ular, or "new"clear?

Lol >>

new klee errrrrr duh
  • Options

<< <i>Like most assets, silver is suffering from the affects of deflation.

It's "effects," not affects, in this usage.

And price changes of an asset class are not indicative of "inflation" or "deflation" of the currency, as much as reflecting the underlying supply and demand market forces for those particular assets.

No wonder there is so much animosity on the forum. We're not speaking the same language. >>

yep, an effect is the end result of an affect!
  • Options
    And price changes of an asset class are not indicative of "supply" or "demand" of the particular assets, as much as reflecting the overarching effects of otc derivatives and naked short futures and papering over the market forces for those particular assets.

*Fixed

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    An effect of an infect is an affect, from which some of us here suffer.

• Options

<< <i>And price changes of an asset class are not indicative of "supply" or "demand" of the particular assets, as much as reflecting the overarching effects of otc derivatives and naked short futures and papering over the market forces for those particular assets.

*Fixed >>

Is that what made gold go to 1900 and silver to 48?

I wish they'd do it again so I could get out of this stuff with an after-tax and after- lost opportunity cost profit, because I'll admit, I regret buying all these metals.

• Options
    I regret buying all these metals.

Hmmmm, I thought you were rebalancing.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Yes. Have rebalanced.
    That's why I regret it. Metals have been "dead money" for years now, for buy-and-holders.
    When are they going to have their day in the sun so's I can sell them for more than I paid and not have regrets any more?

• Options
    I mean, come on! We hear over an over about the Fed, and the Debt, and the Derivatives, and all the rest, and how metals gonna save us smart people who bought them..

well, let's have it! I'm ready.

• Options

<< <i>I mean, come on! We hear over an over about the Fed, and the Debt, and the Derivatives, and all the rest, and how metals gonna save us smart people who bought them..

well, let's have it! I'm ready. >>

According to rr...it's up to JPM with their 4 Trillion dollars in derivatives. image

<< <i>We already know about JPM's $4 TRILL "nuclear" position in commodity derivatives. >>

rr, I for one don't and I find that difficult to believe. What verifiable proof do you have?
  • Options
    ZH said so. Get with the program OPA. Sheesh!!! image

• Options

<< <i>ZH said so. Get with the program OPA. Sheesh!!! image >>

I wouldn't know...I don't subscribe nor do I follow their dribble of overblown half truth's image
    They are in the same league as most tabloid periodicals.....Exaggerated and or partial truth's.... but it sure makes for "good reading" to the conspiracy in "every closet" believers.
  • Options
    When are they going to have their day in the sun so's I can sell them for more than I paid and not have regrets any more?

I mean, come on! We hear over an over about the Fed, and the Debt, and the Derivatives, and all the rest, and how metals gonna save us smart people who bought them..

well, let's have it! I'm ready.

tut, tut. It sounds like you don't really believe in rebalancing even though that's what you always say you are doing. When is the last time that the markets did exactly what you wanted them to do, at the exact time that you wanted them to do it?

Perhaps you should go with market timing and momentum trades?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes. Have rebalanced.
    That's why I regret it. Metals have been "dead money" for years now, for buy-and-holders.
    When are they going to have their day in the sun so's I can sell them for more than I paid and not have regrets any more? >>

Their day in the sun has passed for the time being. I learned after the crash in 1980 that precious metals could be "dead money" for decades. I have never forgotten that lesson.
  • Options
    Maybe throw in some leverage, just to make it interesting?image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I learned after the crash in 1980 that precious metals could be "dead money" for decades. I have never forgotten that lesson.

Yes, it's true - precious metals "could be" dead money for decades. As could stocks, bonds, or real estate.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    We already knew India and China were showing significant increasing silver demand in 2015, and the USA joins them. The US is 600 tonnes ahead of its Jan-July 2014 pace so far this year....and this is non-industrial demand. On top of that the US has started to export silver to India again for the first time in years....227 tonnes in the last 3 recorded months. Yup, no demand for silver anywhere. And I'm sure Citibank's $53 BILL in otc silver derivatives is just coincidental. image

US silver demand up 21% in 2015 - Silver disconnect continues

The Comex registered silver inventory is falling at 3X the pace it did during the 2010-2011 run up. No demand here either.

India's 1400 tonnes of silver imports in August was 40% of monthly world mining supply

Since 2013 India has surpassed the US in silver imports and basically gone hog wild. The relaxation of India's gold import fees was supposed to shift the demand back towards gold. It hasn't. Silver has continued to lead. Of course none of this has anything to do with the current high premiums on physical silver. Note the 3rd sentence in that first link....currently, we are witnessing an abrupt change in normal silver "market dynamics." Whodathunkit?