Home Precious Metals
Options

I consider it to be a once in a lifetime chance

How often do you get the opportunity to own 10% of something ever made 10 times over in one purchase? Except for the top 2, the other 10 bars have a total known mintage of only 10 each!
I admit I am bragging a bit, but I hope that I will be forgiven, but I wanted to share this because this was truly a once in a lifetime chance in my opinion and I HAD to have them.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty cool!

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very neat collection. Have you seen any cancelled dies for sale? I've seen a few and they aren't extremely expensive.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very neat collection. Have you seen any cancelled dies for sale? I've seen a few and they aren't extremely expensive. >>

PerryHall, you might want to put a few of those cancelled dies back. I fellow GSA collector was showing me a Carson City cancelled die on eBay for 10K. He was seriously asking me why he should NOT buy it! I think it was a Seated dollar obverse CD. Still a neat piece but 10K not for me. He more than likely bought it knowing him. He was awful upset with me for the disagreeing with him. We have not spoke much since been about 2 years now.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Very neat collection. Have you seen any cancelled dies for sale? I've seen a few and they aren't extremely expensive. >>

PerryHall, you might want to put a few of those cancelled dies back. I fellow GSA collector was showing me a Carson City cancelled die on eBay for 10K. He was seriously asking me why he should NOT buy it! I think it was a Seated dollar obverse CD. Still a neat piece but 10K not for me. He more than likely bought it knowing him. He was awful upset with me for the disagreeing with him. We have not spoke much since been about 2 years now. >>

I was talking specifically about cancelled dies for silver art bars which I've seen in the $200 range. Naturally a CC mint cancelled die would be a lot more expensive. The US Mint sold cancelled dies for the 1995/1996 Olympic commemorative coin series with a neat X across the die face leaving virtually all of the design intact and these start at about $600 for the most common silver dollar reverse dies with the various obverse dollar dies and the $5 gold dies being a lot more expensive.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

PerryHall, you might want to put a few of those cancelled dies back. I fellow GSA collector was showing me a Carson City cancelled die on eBay for 10K. He was seriously asking me why he should NOT buy it! I think it was a Seated dollar obverse CD. Still a neat piece but 10K not for me. He more than likely bought it knowing him. He was awful upset with me for the disagreeing with him. We have not spoke much since been about 2 years now. >>

I was talking specifically about cancelled dies for silver art bars which I've seen in the $200 range. Naturally a CC mint cancelled die would be a lot more expensive. The US Mint sold cancelled dies for the 1995/1996 Olympic commemorative coin series with a neat X across the die face leaving virtually all of the design intact and these start at about $600 for the most common silver dollar reverse dies with the various obverse dollar dies and the $5 gold dies being a lot more expensive. >>

He loaded up on them Olympic dies too!image I knew you was talking about the silver bar dies as per OP pics.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At one time, I owned 6% of all the 2000 WIDE AM Lincoln cents graded at PCGS image
    Kind of embarrassing to say. Rarely do others collect varieties, let alone hoard them. No clue what I was thinking back in the old days image
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If something is unique but there are zero collectors, is it valuable?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>If something is unique but there are zero collectors, is it valuable? >>

No but in the case of silver art bars there are many dedicated collectors. Some bring surprisingly high prices on eBay.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If something is unique but there are zero collectors, is it valuable? >>

No but in the case of silver art bars there are many dedicated collectors. Some bring surprisingly high prices on eBay. >>

There may not be "thousands," but enough to keep the demand flowing.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    My post wasnt to detract from the OP. Just simply an attempt to understand the role of psychology in determining value.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice collection POM.....interesting niche... I have a few art bars, but not a collector - just a couple that interested me...i.e. one of Secretariat. Cheers,RickO
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    My post wasnt to detract from the OP. Just simply an attempt to understand the role of psychology in determining value.

No offense taken coho, and I would answer it the way OPA did. As long as there's enough people throughout the world that I can reach on a site like eBay if/when it mey ever come time to sell, there will be high demand for these.
    Like I said in the initial post, how often do you get the chance to own 10% of something ever made? And not only for 1 bar, but for 10 bars all at once? They just don't get offered like that, at least not ever that I'm aware of in my lifetime of collecting them.
    I guess you could say that was my "role of psychology" in the purchase.
  • Options

<< <i>How often do you get the opportunity to own 10% of something ever made 10 times over in one purchase? Except for the top 2, the other 10 bars have a total known mintage of only 10 each!
    I admit I am bragging a bit, but I hope that I will be forgiven, but I wanted to share this because this was truly a once in a lifetime chance in my opinion and I HAD to have them.
    image >>

I would be bragging too if I came across that many "cancelled" version of those above '70's silver art bars. All of those silver art bars are super finds but I my honest opinion, the "cancelled" version of the Greathouse "We All Have Our Ups and Downs" (minted by Hamilton Mint) is the best of the group. The reason why is because Greathouse Productions bars are very hard to find anywhere and the cancelled versions are even harder to find and they have ALWAYS demanded a very large premium over spot given the very low mintages. Those are keepers indeed. Excellent find.

During my 7 years of collecting '70's silver art bars, I have come across only 2 cancelled bars during my searches at the coin shows and local and out-of-town coin shops. As a matter of fact, old bars from the '70's are very hard to find anywhere like a LCS or coin show now given the current spot environment.

Congrats. image
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliments...I thought a find like this might bring you out of the woodwork 1970SA image
  • Options
    For anyone who might care, this seller is currently offering some absolutely spectacular bars that don't come around every often.

highly collectable silver art bars being offered.
  • Options

<< <i>For anyone who might care, this seller is currently offering some absolutely spectacular bars that don't come around every often.

highly collectable silver art bars being offered. >>

So what are these "ultra rare" bars worth? $75?

• Options
    bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    Is there any extra value for the two bars that have the "D" in CANCELLED backwards.
    image Steam Power
  • Options
    So what are these "ultra rare" bars worth? $75?

As with anything else along these lines, it's all about the mintage. Some examples of recent auctions of mintage of 10 bars for you to consider.

$233

$206

$263

$206

$225 and this one even has a mintage of 25

Probably accepted $200+

And a simple search shows what some others are asking for higher mintage bars and some other 10 mintage bars here.

Many collectors feel these are horribly undervalued even at $200+, just like the Engelhard old pour bars are in the other thread where I talk about their prices.

Try to think of it in these terms...what would a coin be worth if it's known original production mintage was <500 as is with the Engelhards, or 10 as with these? What's a 1913 V Nickel going for these days? $3M+. I'm not saying these are worth $3M, but they're worth whatever the current market will bring, and right now it's $200+
  • Options
    Thanks for the info POM.

My icon is one of only 50 made (150 years ago) and is only the 8th known surviving example, made by Tiffany, but it isn't worth 15x melt.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a time when many beanie babies were worth $200 plus. Anyone who could get them for $175 considered it a bargain. Silver collectibles are an entirely different market than is silver.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    My oldest sister has 2 rooms full of those collectable Beenie Baby's. At least silver is silver though. As long as you stay with in reach of melt your safe.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    The bottom line really is collect what you collect...what gives you pleasure in doing so and keeps your interest, isn't it?
    Collect what you feel is a "safe" investment.

All I wanted to do guys is to show what I feel doesn't come along very often, and brag a little image It's been a little while since I've had something I felt was brag-able and just wanted to share what I feel is an incredible find with people (some anyway) who would admire it, that's all.
    I'm sorry if I've rubbed some of you the wrong way with this thread, it was just genuinely done to educate, and yes, show off a bit. If that offends some, I'm sorry.
  • Options
    Didn't offend me at all. I'm interested in the segment. I don't understand it, so the info is appreciated.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    POM, the collectible score is well worth bragging about. You earned the right to.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool bars! image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat bars POM, I'm glad they ended up with a collector who appreciates them.

Here's a fairly recent cherrypick. Sort of a "self-cancelled" die state, not many were struck after the cud formed

it's "worth" more than a regular one in this condition, and more than I paid, but only to the right collector.

Most humans would "pass" at any price.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only are those bars cool in their own right, but having a hobby that gives you pleasure is a nice outlet to have.
    I think those bars would be great to own even if they were made of tin foil. Congrats on spearing a white whale for your collection!!
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool bars POM.
    I used to actively collect them a bunch of years ago. I bought a couple versions of the Archie Kidd book, learned a thing or two and had a good time buying and selling and searching for them.
    They are much more scarce to find in the wild now then they were even 5 years ago from what I've seen. There used to be a few in every dealers case and in every small shop... not so much any more.
    I only ever saw one cancelled die in person, that was about 10 years ago before I knew much about art bars. It was a 1973 Halloween with the witch riding a broom and it was in a misc "junk" box of various bullion for $10. I passed on it at the time because I had 2 others picked out that I wanted and $20 in my pocket. I also did not know it was "rare".

There used to be a local shop here in town with a ton of them, those folks retired about 5 years ago and I don't know what happened to the ingots they were left with. I found 2 Mt. Hood Coca cola bars over the years and sold both of them for $800+ - I filled up a dansco album with about 50 of my favorites, put those away and haven't really collected them since.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice "score" !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense here. I celebrate windfalls and admire "scores". I hope to have a million base hits before it's over.
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For anyone who might care, this seller is currently offering some absolutely spectacular bars that don't come around every often.

Interesting, I have the 1973 ANA Convention, Pine Tree Schilling bar.
    I posted it topic was Cool or Neat art bar.
    Several board members were at the 1973 event and remembered these.
  • Options
  • Options
    Why were these bars stamped 'CANCELLED'?
    Thank You.
  • Options

<< <i>Why were these bars stamped 'CANCELLED'?
    Thank You. >>

These were limited edition bars and when the published limit was reached the dies were cancelled so no more could be struck. They then struck more bars using the cancelled dies to create another limited edition rarity.

• Options
    Thanks Perry.
    I purchased 50 ounces of 'Generic Silver' on the lowest dip this year.
    I requested the largest assortment of one ounce bars possible, and, is pretty much what I received.
    A quick e-bay search revealed that many of them sold for $50-100 each.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Interesting, I have the 1973 ANA Convention, Pine Tree Schilling bar.
    I posted it topic was Cool or Neat art bar.
    Several board members were at the 1973 event and remembered these. >>

I used to collect art bars and some of his look familiar. image However, the seller made a major mistake in identifying Valcambi as the refiner for his older bars. Should have been Credit Suisse.
    Between 1968 - 2003 Credit Suisse was the primary owner of the refinery and produced bars with the Credit Suisse label and the CHI Essayeur Fondeur Stamp...In 2003 C.S. sold the Valcambi Refinery. That is the time frame when Valcambi started producing products with the Valcambi logo ( which also includes the Essayeur Fondeur Stamp.)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."