Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver Eagles?

BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is the Mint OOS AGAIN? I see one AP is at $5 over for a monster box with a ship date of 10/23.

Comments

• Options
    They have been limiting sales to 1 mill a week for the past couple months
  • Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    5.00 over!!!! You have to be nuts to pay that and even crazier if paying that on a monster box.. I buy whatever is on sale. Last week it was the roo's for 2.49 over. This week I got a roll of the somilia elphents for 2.89 over.. why pay more then you need to? I will sell you ever silver eagle i have at 5.00 over spot just send me a pm.
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [qI buy whatever is on sale. Last week it was the roo's for 2.49 over. This week I got a roll of the somilia elphents for 2.89 over.. why pay more then you need to?. >>

Ebay has Silvertowne 1 oz. Buffalo rounds for $318 a tube as I type this. Pretty good deal!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASE premiums are rising rapidly. Checked Ebay lately?

But demand has not increased. image

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

<< <i>[qI buy whatever is on sale. Last week it was the roo's for 2.49 over. This week I got a roll of the somilia elphents for 2.89 over.. why pay more then you need to?. >>

Ebay has Silvertowne 1 oz. Buffalo rounds for $318 a tube as I type this. Pretty good deal! >>

I try not to buy generic rounds unless i can't find anything else. I buy mostly world silver rounds produced by mints. I have a huge selection of some pretty neat rounds from all over the world. I like libertads, maples, etc I could NEVER get myself to pay 5.00 bucks over for an ASE. like I said if anybody wants mint at 5.00 over I would gladly sell.
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped in at my LCS today and he is asking $19 for ASE's , he had about 100 random dates . He had no 90% at all . I felt like buying something so I got a few rolls of 40% halfs , he is selling 40% at 4x which actually isn't too bad all things considered
  • Options

<< <i>5.00 over!!!! You have to be nuts to pay that and even crazier if paying that on a monster box.. I buy whatever is on sale. Last week it was the roo's for 2.49 over. This week I got a roll of the somilia elphents for 2.89 over.. why pay more then you need to? I will sell you ever silver eagle i have at 5.00 over spot just send me a pm. >>

Not looking to buy any.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ASE premiums are rising rapidly. Checked Ebay lately?

But demand has not increased. image >>

Actually it demonstrates the supply constraint mentioned in this thread.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    [

• Options

<< <i>I stopped in at my LCS today and he is asking $19 for ASE's , he had about 100 random dates . He had no 90% at all . I felt like buying something so I got a few rolls of 40% halfs , he is selling 40% at 4x which actually isn't too bad all things considered >>

Do you know what he pays for walk in the door bullion?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Actually it demonstrates the supply constraint mentioned in this thread. >>

It has to be a combination of both supply AND demand, if the transactions are actually being made (as distinct from an "offering price" which the would-be seller may or may not get)

If they're trading at $5 over, the buyers

just gotta get themselves some silver eagles right now!!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think the premiums on silver eagles are ridiculous right now. $3 over spot is what I would expect. The current premium on eBay from APMEX is $6.50 plus. That is insane.
  • Options

<< <i>Personally, I think the premiums on silver eagles are ridiculous right now. $3 over spot is what I would expect. The current premium on eBay from APMEX is $6.50 plus. That is insane. >>

What are eBay and PP fees + free shipping for one coin?

Hard to sell for $4 over when you pay $5 over. That particular AP also pays $3 over for I assume 500 coins minimum. Their pricing is $5 over for 1 MB, better deal on 2+ MBs. APMEX is not dealer friendly anymore from what I hear. They prefer the retail selling.

I don't care enough to do it, but it might be interesting to see what the various APs charge for ASEs from 1 to 100 MBs.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It has to be a combination of both supply AND demand, if the transactions are actually being made (as distinct from an "offering price" which the would-be seller may or may not get)

just gotta get themselves some silver eagles right now!! >>

How do you know ASEs are actually selling for $5 over?

If it was all demand then prices for all silver products would be higher.

Maybe its just the "manipulation" the PMers like to see. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe its just the "manipulation" the PMers like to see. image >>

Maybe ASEs are more sought after, something I've talked about before.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Personally, I think the premiums on silver eagles are ridiculous right now. $3 over spot is what I would expect. The current premium on eBay from APMEX is $6.50 plus. That is insane. >>

What are eBay and PP fees + free shipping for one coin?

Hard to sell for $4 over when you pay $5 over. That particular AP also pays $3 over for I assume 500 coins minimum. Their pricing is $5 over for 1 MB, better deal on 2+ MBs. APMEX is not dealer friendly anymore from what I hear. They prefer the retail selling.

I don't care enough to do it, but it might be interesting to see what the various APs charge for ASEs from 1 to 100 MBs. >>

I am used to the premiums I remember for years at the local shop. Pay $3 over to buy. Sell for spot or spot +$1. Haven't been to the shop in a while. Would be interesting to see what the premiums are today.

Where do you get $5 over and $3 over as buy prices for a large dealer? Is that what they pay for being an authorized buyer on bullion?
  • Options

Maybe its just the "manipulation" the PMers like to see. >>

Maybe ASEs are more sought after, something I've talked about before

Sounds more like slick marketing to me.

• Options

<< <i>How do you know ASEs are actually selling for $5 over?

Maybe its just the "manipulation" the PMers like to see. >>

Maybe ASEs are more sought after, something I've talked about before

Sounds more like slick marketing to me. >>

That's for the 90% guys.image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed the Silver Eagle's values are measured in dollars. They say "ONE DOLLAR". The premiums don't matter. They're still a dollar. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe ASEs are more sought after, something I've talked about before. >>

This Apparently people [many of them newcomers it seems] prefer the security/comfort of government issued/produced bullion instead of basic bars/ingots, etc. Kind of like those collectors who prefer graded/slabbed/CACd coins over raw coins. If silver demand was THAT strong the SAVVY investors would be buying up all of the 1,000 ounce bars to the point that there would be little left to produce coins from.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I noticed the Silver Eagle's values are measured in dollars. They say "ONE DOLLAR". The premiums don't matter. They're still a dollar. image >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>I noticed the Silver Eagle's values are measured in dollars. They say "ONE DOLLAR". The premiums don't matter. They're still a dollar. image >>

Sem ting mit Morgans, no?image
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Those premiums are nuts, can you imagine paying a 35% commission to buy an asset?

• Options

<< <i>Those premiums are nuts, can you imagine paying a 35% commission to buy an asset? >>

The 35% "commission" on ASE's reflects their value over the paper silver that is used as the base price. Growing premiums reflect a growing disconnect. Buyers paying the premium are voting with their dollars. Are they picking a winner? Time will tell.

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Those premiums are nuts, can you imagine paying a 35% commission to buy an asset? >>

The 35% "commission" on ASE's reflects their value over the paper silver that is used as the base price. Growing premiums reflect a growing disconnect. Buyers paying the premium are voting with their dollars. Are they picking a winner? Time will tell. >>

I get that, but I think you would agree most true metals "enthusiasts" on here would tell you gold is the real anti fiat metal and it only trades at around a 5% premium. Plus it's significantly more portable. That makes me think it probably just little guys pilling in, because they think silver is cheap and that is usually not a recipe for higher prices in my experience.
    , but as you say, time will tell.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1
  • Options

<< <i>

The 35% "commission" on ASE's reflects their value over the paper silver that is used as the base price. Growing premiums reflect a growing disconnect. Buyers paying the premium are voting with their dollars. Are they picking a winner? Time will tell. >>

It's all a marketing ploy.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's all a marketing ploy. >>

The marketers are conspiring?
    How is marketing manipulation different than market manipulation? image

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The premium is equally ridiculous on platinum eagles. In some cases they are bringing higher prices than gold eagles, even though platinum is about $200 cheaper. The Mint could make considerable money by striking bullion platinum eagles to demand, but shows no interest in doing so. After a several-year hiatus, they sold only 16,900 ounces in 2014 and none so far in 2015.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>The premium is equally ridiculous on platinum eagles. In some cases they are bringing higher prices than gold eagles, even though platinum is about $200 cheaper. The Mint could make considerable money by striking bullion platinum eagles to demand, but shows no interest in doing so. After a several-year hiatus, they sold only 16,900 ounces in 2014 and none so far in 2015. >>

it's probably not worth the hassle and effort to strike chitloads of platinum coins.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

How is marketing manipulation different than market manipulation? image >>

You should be ashamed to even ask such a question. Your poor customers.

• Options

<< <i>The premium is equally ridiculous on platinum eagles. In some cases they are bringing higher prices than gold eagles, even though platinum is about $200 cheaper. The Mint could make considerable money by striking bullion platinum eagles to demand, but shows no interest in doing so. After a several-year hiatus, they sold only 16,900 ounces in 2014 and none so far in 2015. >>

Not a single ounce has been sold?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

You should be ashamed to even ask such a question. Your poor customers. >>

"There is no manipulation." "There is manipulation."

Make up your mind.

• Options

<< <i>

Not a single ounce has been sold? >>

Since not a single ounce has been produced/struck, that would be correct.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Make up your mind. >>

I think you need to study where you place the nefarious hat.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Make up your mind. >>

I think you need to study where you place the nefarious hat. >>

No one accused you of being evil, just confused.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>....How do you know ASEs are actually selling for $5 over?

1. Because they are.
    2. All silver bullion products are seeing large premiums vs. historical. The lower tiered bars and rounds are probably buyable a lot cheaper. But, they apparently aren't as desired by your average J6P. It's important to buyers to know that what they are buying is really authentic and as stated. Joe Junk's Jeneric 1 oz. rounds just don't cut it. Sovereign silver rules the roost. Who would have thunk?
    3. It's manipulation all right....1400 tonnes worth of physical silver bought by India in one month. And they aren't alone. Physical silver has been moving from West to East for years.

It's not "good marketing" at all when the US mint runs out of product in July, then August, then September.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    If suddenly it was decided that not another ASE would ever be made, I wouldn't care. It wouldn't change my approach in collecting.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

While this premium is apparently in place why not sell whatever ASE's you have ? When the premium is gone then buy more if you like.

I remember about 2 years ago when silver was around 25 or so there was a big surge of demand and I used it to get rid of some Canadian junk and war nickles for a nice premium to spot. I'm glad I no longer have that crap now.

• Options

<< <i>If suddenly it was decided that not another ASE would ever be made, I wouldn't care. It wouldn't change my approach in collecting. >>

It wouldn't bother me if they never played another inning of MLB either so there's that. And I used to love the game. To each their own.
  • Options

<< <i>While this premium is apparently in place why not sell whatever ASE's you have ? When the premium is gone then buy more if you like.

I remember about 2 years ago when silver was around 25 or so there was a big surge of demand and I used it to get rid of some Canadian junk and war nickles for a nice premium to spot. I'm glad I no longer have that crap now.

image >>

There are people who are still under water even at these levels. Put em up here and people still want to lowball you. I had a tough time trying to sell anything here for about the last year.
  • Options

The spot price is what it is. However to me periods of high premium represent the ability to time travel. If ASE's normally trade at +3 and today they are selling for$20 then today actual spot=17$ .

When is paper going to be $17 again? the high physical premium in place right now allows us to time travel back to when it last hit $17 image Which was last May I believe. In other words we got to hold it for 6 months see what the price did and hit the rewind button and get out.

In fact todays premium allows us to time travel back to last October and bail out. Thats a 1 year grace period.

If in the past you paid 20 for your ASE's then today you are even again , if you want out then get out.

If you are stacking long term then its stupid to pay 20 now for ASE's just hold and when silver moves up a few bucks then buy some for $20 or if it drops gets some for 18

• Options
    If suddenly it was decided that not another ASE would ever be made, I wouldn't care. It wouldn't change my approach in collecting.

It wouldn't bother me if they never played another inning of MLB either so there's that. And I used to love the game. To each their own.

Agreed on to each his own, and I hope that you'd agree that those who don't adapt to changing trends of collecting and are unwilling to change their collecting own habits to what is easier to unload when that time comes will remain buried. I've been saying all along the time I've been here, buy what can easily be sold and isn't so tied to the value of whatever Spot is at that time.

Recently, I needed to raise some cash kind of quickly so I put up some premium bars on eBay as BIN w/Best offer option. In 2 days...2 days! I got realistic acceptable type offers and raised what I needed AND made a profit to boot. I didn't have to sacrifice profit because I needed quick cash. Can a collector of ASE's say that having bought in the last 4-5 years? Maybe, but probably not.
    Collect/accumulate what can easily be sold (because of its collectability, not because of "what it melts at") ought to be on every buyers mind when making a precious metals purchase.

Put em up here and people still want to lowball you. I had a tough time trying to sell anything here for about the last year

I barely bother anymore. For what I may need to sell, eBay has become very consistent in bringing what it should, even after 10% fees. That ought to speak loudly as to what this place has become regarding trying to get what something is truly worth on here because all most care about here is "what it melts for". Sad really on a place called COLLECTORS Universe. The lack of the level of PM BST's compared to the relative recent past is evidence.
  • Options

<< <i>The spot price is what it is. However to me periods of high premium represent the ability to time travel. If ASE's normally trade at +3 and today they are selling for$20 then today actual spot=17$ .

When is paper going to be $17 again? the high physical premium in place right now allows us to time travel back to when it last hit $17 image Which was last May I believe. In other words we got to hold it for 6 months see what the price did and hit the rewind button and get out.

In fact todays premium allows us to time travel back to last October and bail out. Thats a 1 year grace period.

If in the past you paid 20 for your ASE's then today you are even again , if you want out then get out.

If you are stacking long term then its stupid to pay 20 now for ASE's just hold and when silver moves up a few bucks then buy some for $20 or if it drops gets some for 18

image >>

Finding someone to pay you the $20 might be the hard part, depending upon your venues for selling. Your advantage would be that you can deliver NOW! SDBullion is $4.50 over for 3 MBs with a mid-Nov ship date. One has to shop around. Those who have coins in stock seem to be asking more.
  • Options

I'm not a flipper I'm a stacker but premiums are a great way to grow your stack because they vary so much for different types of silver at different times. For example the other day I posted that I bought 40% halfs for 2 bucks each. I bought 5 rolls for $200 which was below spot at the time.

14.75 ounces cost me $200 effective spot price $13.56

Stack is now at +14.75 ounces

If I wanted to I could post 15 ASE's on ebay for say $325 free shipping and they would probably sell in a day or 2 . After the dust settles I'd have about the same number of ounces as I did a week ago but there would be a $100 bill in my pocket.

I could go get 50 more 40% halfs if I wanted . Voila a little legwork and my stack is at +7 ounces or so.

Take advantage of the high premiums and sell every ASE you own now and rotate into something else . The whole idea of being above water or underwater is just an accounting fiction. If the question is how many ounces do you have all you do is count them .

Don't sell them here this place is a wasteland image Too many sellers sitting on a lot of museum exhibits.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If suddenly it was decided that not another ASE would ever be made, I wouldn't care. It wouldn't change my approach in collecting.

Agreed on to each his own, and I hope that you'd agree that those who don't adapt to changing trends of collecting and are unwilling to change their collecting own habits to what is easier to unload when that time comes will remain buried. I've been saying all along the time I've been here, buy what can easily be sold and isn't so tied to the value of whatever Spot is at that time.

Recently, I needed to raise some cash kind of quickly so I put up some premium bars on eBay as BIN w/Best offer option. In 2 days...2 days! I got realistic acceptable type offers and raised what I needed AND made a profit to boot. I didn't have to sacrifice profit because I needed quick cash. Can a collector of ASE's say that having bought in the last 4-5 years? Maybe, but probably not.
    Collect/accumulate what can easily be sold (because of its collectability, not because of "what it melts at") ought to be on every buyers mind when making a precious metals purchase. >>

If I could add something to this, Rich...and this not a jab, but I think putting yourself in a situation that does not leave enough cash reserves at hand - forcing you to raise revenue by selling your stack/collection is a recipe for disaster. I like to think of metals as a place to park money for when I WANT it, not for when I NEED it.
  • Options
    If I could add something to this, Rich...and this not a jab, but I think putting yourself in a situation that does not leave enough cash reserves at hand - forcing you to raise revenue by selling your stack/collection is a recipe for disaster. I like to think of metals as a place to park money for when I WANT it, not for when I NEED it.

No offense taken at all. My collection is my savings for the most part, I am not ashamed to admit that I have very little cash that's in the form of paper . So when an unexpected expense comes up, I sell some metal rather than put it on a CC. The CC's are for extreme emergencies. Then I earn dollars to replenish and add. I'm still a working stiff.
    So I view it as no difference than taking "cash" out of the pot that may be needed to pay for an unexpected expense. Almost all of my metal is non-generic, so I feel I don't have to worry as much about what Spot is at because I believe what I have has a better retaining value that something that IS tied more closely to Spot.

Of course I have other holdings, but I am speaking mainly to my availability to cash. My metal is my cash and my cash is my metal (sounds like a rap song LOL) and I feel I've positioned and accumulated it in a manner that isn't so dependent on what Spot is at any given moment. I can take a loan from my 401k, but why get charged 3.75% against myself?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>While this premium is apparently in place why not sell whatever ASE's you have ? When the premium is gone then buy more if you like.

image >>

There are people who are still under water even at these levels. Put em up here and people still want to lowball you. I had a tough time trying to sell anything here for about the last year. >>

So what is the demand if one can't sell silver on a silver on a silver chat room?

• Options
    Premiums Explained

Interesting take on why the premiums expand and contract. What do you think?
  • Options

<< <i>Premiums Explained

Interesting take on why the premiums expand and contract. What do you think? >>

Its okay except for the part about buying 100 oz bars which are too illiquid to sell to joe six pack