Home Precious Metals
Options

Engelhard auctions: 1st series 5 oz/$1226 WHAAAA?---No SN 5 oz/$611--10 Toz/$1050!---5 oz MFR/$426--

I wont say common, but I wont say rare either, but let's call them "certain kinds" of Engelhards are on fire! Legit auctions too, have done alot of business with the 3 & 5 oz bar seller in the past.

1 oz for $219

5 oz MFR bar goes for $426!

3 oz top logo for $431

Edit to add these bombers!
Incredible! 1st series 5 oz bar

No serial number 5 oz'er

Gotta add another one:
10 Toz with one of a kind serial number
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some brands are better than others, even though it all melts at the same temperature.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Some brands are better than others, even though it all melts at the same temperature.

I continue to find it amazing that on a site called Collectors Universe, most here only care about what it melts at.
  • Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    I could never pay them prices not matter who made it. Silver is 15.15 or so. Moat I would be willing to spend in spot plus 2.49 per oz. People can collect what they want but I would rather have 10 plus oz then just 1oz....
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those prices are crazy! image
    This one is even worse! image
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    POM, the first two auctions I thought went a bit high. Perhaps that is because I was buying items like those offered 5 years ago.

The 3 oz top logo I view as the best of the bunch and I should have bid higher.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez !!! :-(
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    POM, the first two auctions I thought went a bit high. Perhaps that is because I was buying items like those offered 5 years ago.

The 3 oz top logo I view as the best of the bunch and I should have bid higher.

I had no idea that 1 oz'er would go for so much.
    The 5 oz was high I thought too being one sold the prior week for $320-something. Maybe someone liked the serial number or has the bar with the serial number above or below it?
    The 3 oz is much better than the one I have. I tried to get a bid in at the end, but it was going up so exponentially, the system didn't even take mine lol.

Overall, very good news for Engelhard collectors.

Those prices are crazy!
    This one is even worse!

That depends on how you look at it. If you're trying to add them to your collection, you're gonna have to pay up and will continue to have to going forward.
    If you already have an example of each bar, you get to see your investment growing. Something that with owning generic bars isn't happening so much the last few years.
  • Options
    It's a good time to be an Engelhard old pour collector, especially if you already own these particular series. image

edited op to show a few more that exploded.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    There is always a time to get out while the getting is good!

I always like to pool the actual bidders eBays names for each sale. If it is the same 5-10 over and over.

May turn out just you and your buddy's are driving the market~I'm not going to mention the professional shillers image

As long as the shillers rule on eBay, I say it serves as a market tool not the actual market~JMHO
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>There is always a time to get out while the getting is good!

I always like to pool the actual bidders eBays names for each sale. If it is the same 5-10 over and over.

May turn out just you and your buddy's are driving the market~I'm not going to mention the professional shillers image

As long as the shillers rule on eBay, I say it serves as a market tool not the actual market~JMHO >>

When you have perhaps 10 strong players you can expect to see them competing time after time for the better items.

I was in the hunt for the following 5 oz example that I consider especially desirable. It ended up selling for $1,226. I came close to winning it.

Early Engelhard 5 oz Top Logo

I am ready to pay $1,000 for similar examples......if anyone reading this has one or more to offer.
  • Options
    Now that's stepping up OGIM!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Now that's stepping up OGIM

Wait a minute, you question this thread in general, the validity of the auctions and call the group of people that DO legitimately bid on these bars shills...but then compliment OGIM for offering less than what it auctioned for, even minus the fees??? That's hypocrsy if there ever was.

I just don't get you guys sometimes LOL. It's because this is my thread right? You bash because it's me bringing it to the attention here, but praise if it's someone else speaking about the very same topic in the same manner. Unreal LOL
  • Options

<< <i>There is always a time to get out while the getting is good!

As long as the shillers rule on eBay, I say it serves as a market tool not the actual market~JMHO >>

How do you get that from my post? I question any eBay seller that ALWAYS get top $$ for anything they sell.

If you reread my post I was trying to teach you something. Emphasis on TRYING!!!!

My post applies to all collectibles offered on eBay.

The sellers have their on shillers~I was not calling the collectors shillers.

I guess I should confirm you actually understand what a shiller isimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Added another Engelhard bomber. 10 Toz bar with one of a kind serial number goes for $1050!
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Added another Engelhard bomber. 10 Toz bar with one of a kind serial number goes for $1050! >>

Lol, all of them serial numbers are one of a kind eh? And rare...😜
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Added another Engelhard bomber. 10 Toz bar with one of a kind serial number goes for $1050! >>

Lol, all of them serial numbers are one of a kind eh? And rare...😜 >>

The serial number is C107 which is a very low number which appeals to some collectors. Of course YMMV.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Lol, all of them serial numbers are one of a kind eh? And rare...

Leave it to you to point that out image One of a kind meaning that I don't think I've ever seen this series bar start with a letter in the serial number.
  • Options
    Do you have another source with legitimate for sale prices that have sold. Even a BIN on eBay?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Do yall sell these bars on your silver website for these prices? Any other source of bars being sold at these levels?

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you have another source with legitimate for sale prices that have sold. Even a BIN on eBay? >>

Sale prices are hard to come by when some of the rarer items show up so infrequently.

As an example consider the 5 oz example I posted earlier in this thread that sold for $1,226. It is the second example of its type I have seen on ebay in 5 years.

Engelhard 5 oz early top log 999

AllEngelhard estimates mintage as 100 or less and gives the serial numbers of three known examples. One of the three is my example that I paid $300 to obtain 4 years ago via an ebay BIN that lasted about 2 minutes. I can assuredly obtain far more for my example if I chose to sell it now. Just how much I could get depends on who is in the hunt any given day.

Keep in mind that many legitimate sales occur collector to collector and aren't knowable unless you are in the know.

Edit: Grammar and missing words
  • Options
    Keep in mind that many legitimate sales occur collector to collector and aren't knowable unless you are in the know.

This^^^ And because of this is why when the opportunity comes up for someone on the outside (for lack of a better way of saying it) gets a chance to own a rare bar, the hammer strikes firmly and loudly as evidenced by the auctions in this thread.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    piecesofme, Do you have a link?
  • Options
    piecesofme, Do you have a link?

They're all in the first post of this thread. image
  • Options
    So you truly believe no shilling on any of those auctions?

I'm not saying your silver bars are not hard to find. I just question eBay sellers in general. With all of todays devices to get on the internet one person could bid as many times as possible.

For example a personal experience;

I kept getting emails from same person but from different emails. I said man why all the different email addresses. Quote~ "all them are for my eBay accounts when I have coins listedimage"

Just something to ponder.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    So you truly believe no shilling on any of those auctions?

I'm not saying your silver bars are not hard to find. I just question eBay sellers in general. With all of todays devices to get on the internet one person could bid as many times as possible.

For example a personal experience;

I kept getting emails from same person but from different emails. I said man why all the different email addresses. Quote~ "all them are for my eBay accounts when I have coins listed"

Just something to ponder.

The key thing I think in it all is the amount of feedback the winning bidder has. If the winning bidder has a lot of feedback, I feel it's a legit auction. If not, then not so much, but still could be.
    Here's why I say that. Why would a seller create and have to maintain so many accounts, build feedback, etc. to ultimately win their own item? That's more trouble than it's worth to me. They could be fishing and send the 2nd and maybe even 3rd place bidders offers if that amount is to their liking, but still, more trouble than it's worth for me personally speaking.

Additionally, I believe eBay has software that prevents shilling from the same computer. A user might be able to bid from another computer, don't know, isn't worth trying to me.

So that's how I look at it, the feedback of the winning bidder because it makes no sense to have a lot of feedback of multiple accounts just to be able to shill your own item.