Home Precious Metals
Options

Counterfeit coins

Is there a problem with fake modern US coins?

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there a problem with fake modern US coins? >>

They're out there, primarily from China and alibaba.com, but anyone who knows modern US coins should be able to spot the fakes.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say there is ALWAYS a problem with fake U.S. coins.... and mainly, the problem comes from China. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the older US gold coins because they are far less uniform with many unique minting attributes.....vs. today's near perfect, sanitized versions.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Can anyone post some pics? This has always left me wondering how the heck can you fake a coin. Ive never seen one..that I know of anyways. Interesting.
    And what modern coin is worth counterfeiting?
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone post some pics? This has always left me wondering how the heck can you fake a coin. Ive never seen one..that I know of anyways. Interesting.
    And what modern coin is worth counterfeiting? >>

Mainly bullion. Tungsten plated with gold.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    I sent the member here a PM. Thanks for taking the time to send me the PM. Unreal. You save me some money Im sure.
    I had no idea the quality of the fakes that are out there. A real eye opener.
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone post some pics? This has always left me wondering how the heck can you fake a coin. Ive never seen one..that I know of anyways. Interesting.
    And what modern coin is worth counterfeiting? >>

Anyone who collections modern gold and silver should take a look at fakebullion.com
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of counterfeits out there, including whole cases of ASE's

The scariest thing is depending on the type of "storage" you choose, they don't even know who's whose. This paragraph from the article says it all.
    "Unfortunately, the account owner had arranged for unallocated storage to reduce costs, which meant that the depository piled up the cases of silver eagle dollars with other cases received for other accounts for unallocated storage. Thus, it could not be determined if the counterfeit cases had been received for this account or for someone else’s account."

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    POM your link does not work.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 2 options for creating links to sites from the menu bar, http and https. Make sure you choose the right one. The s in https can be easily deleted from or added to the URL if necessary.
  • Options
    I knew about bullion. Its like those chocolates wrapped in foil. Or those mints. But the detail involved with coins...wow. But shouldn't be surprised anymore.