Home Precious Metals

Don't sell your stocks right now. Be patient. You'll get it all back and then some.

I am fully invested in the market...wish I could have timed my investments better. But I am continuing to add to my positions during this meltdown. I will be called out for being a bull and be called foolish. Ok that comes with posting on the internet and having a forum where people with different opinions post. I know the timing on my investment predictions don't look good right now. I remain confident in the US stock market and I believe that in 5-10 years from now, stocks will be much higher than now.
Positive BST transactions with Timbuk3, coindeuce, charlottedude.

Comments

• I am not selling any of my stocks right now. I didn't sell any during this sell off. You shouldn't either, unless you need to pay for your son's surgery.
  • If you sell now and try to buy back lower, you may be able to. But you will be trading. If investors bought in 2007 and didn't sell, their stocks would still be up....don't sell. If it continues to crash, don't sell. Think about some good picks and you can get in at a discount. Stocks will be higher in 10 years from now. Dramatically. That includes apple, the s&p 500, costco, northrop grumman, cvs, walgreens, etc...
  • If you have the money to cover a margin call by adding to your short position, perhaps you should start shorting tvix in a couple days...maybe wait until things cool down and short it as the market comes back over the next...we will get there when we get there. If the GDP is growing and earnings come in ok and we still have this volatility, tvix is a good short.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have pretty much talked yourself into it. image

If equities are your thing, at least consider VXX.

PS: Don't miss Monday's opening bell.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    I have been out of the market now for four years. I wonder if Yellen will come to rescue or if she can even stop the plunge. Seems to be accelerating today. I would think they could of held off the crash to after the 2016 election, but it seems to be following the same script as 2008. I guess the Great and Powerful OZ is not so powerful.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    Glad I didn't sell...............my UVXY. image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad Hopsin gave a couple of others a chance to post in this thread. image

I don't think I've ever seen a thread with 4 OP lead ins. If you're comfortable being 100% in stocks after a 6 year rally and a near tripling, then by all means keep on adding. No one knows if stocks will be higher in 5-10 years. Anyone taking that line back in 1929 had to wait 25 years.....in 1966 it was 16 years. What if 2015 turns out to be a long term peak? Are you ready to hold out for 16-25 years?
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I need buy some more Auimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    FINALLY!
    Deflate this bubble....
    That is took a true capitalist supply / demand market to make it happen --- China image ..... pure irony

Loves me some shiny!
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    They blaming the Chineeseimage I guess China has enough goldimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.

<< <i>They blaming the Chineeseimage I guess China has enough goldimage >>

China doesn't have enough gold....at least not based on what they have officially reported. Only 1.6% of their entire currency reserves....in the bottom 10% of ALL nations. Now that they are reporting monthly rather than every 6 years maybe the tonnage they have "hidden" will slowly be drawn into the light.

Gold gets its own "BOOM" thread when it dropped $40 on July 19th (a 3.5% drop). And yet no "BOOM" thread for the Dow Industrials that have dropped 11% in 3 days. image

<< <i>

China doesn't have enough gold....at least not based on what they have officially reported. Only 1.6% of their entire currency reserves....in the bottom 10% of ALL nations. Now that they are reporting monthly rather than every 6 years maybe the tonnage they have "hidden" will slowly be drawn into the light. >>

Every economic move China now makes is to please the IMF who has delayed a decision, until next year, on including the Yuan in the IMF basket of currencies. Gold percentage is a big part of that.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

China doesn't have enough gold....at least not based on what they have officially reported. Only 1.6% of their entire currency reserves....in the bottom 10% of ALL nations. Now that they are reporting monthly rather than every 6 years maybe the tonnage they have "hidden" will slowly be drawn into the light. >>

Every economic move China now makes is to please the IMF who has delayed a decision, until next year, on including the Yuan in the IMF basket of currencies. Gold percentage is a big part of that. >>

Saying China is trying to please the IMF is the same as saying China is trying to please the US
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Quite annoyed I slept in on the larger losses in silver. Didnt see the action until 30 min ago and by that time it already came back 60 or more cents.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
    We watched the train wreck in commodities and PM's occur once they broke important multi-year trend lines. Why should we expect something different for equities now that it has happened to them? Weekly Bollinger Bands are stretched further now than the 1987, 2000 DotCom, and 2008 Lehman crashes. Those took 1 day, 2 years, and 6 months to bottom out following the first big shock. Take your pick. I have no clue. Seeing something that has happened only 4X in 28 years.
    Don't sell your stocks right now.

That's right. Sell them a few months ago.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FINALLY!
    Deflate this bubble....
    That is took a true capitalist supply / demand market to make it happen --- China image ..... pure irony >>

Post of the month nominee. image
    Dow down 1,000 and then back up 1,000. Completely normal market behavior. Nothing to see here....carry on. image

Please file any complaints with your local SEC representative. image
  • I bought 7 shares of voo for $172/share today (that includes commission)...so I just got in and bought into a low cost S&P 500 etf at 12.2% off its all time highs. This will prove to be a smart decision in 5-10 years.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't sell your stocks right now.

That's right. Sell them a few months ago. >>

Sounds about right. Or earn the same money over again.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no clue...

...said Roadrunner of himself on Monday August 24 at 11:46 edt.

Most accurate thing I've ever seen him write.

imageimage

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

<< <i>Dow down 1,000 and then back up 1,000. Completely normal market behavior. Nothing to see here....carry on. image

Please file any complaints with your local SEC representative. image >>

Just a little "Flash Crash" in stocks to wake people up, kind of like when your jet hits an air pocket.

Folks with tendency to white knuckles should probably stick to their horse

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least this market news takes our minds off Greece.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

<< <i>Dow down 1,000 and then back up 1,000. Completely normal market behavior. Nothing to see here....carry on. image

Please file any complaints with your local SEC representative. >>

Just your local Federal Open Market Committee doing what they do best. . . keeping the masses calm.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
    IJH @ 136.28

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet with that move at the opening this morning a lot of stops got picked off . image
  • meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Seven whole shares of VOO to hold for 5-10 years???? Seriously????

Ok.

Thanks for the tip.

<< <i>Seven whole shares of VOO to hold for 5-10 years???? Seriously????

Ok.

Thanks for the tip. >>

No need to make fun of someone who is saving and trying to invest. Regardless of the amount, it took him time and research to formulate his opinion. Why in the hell does it matter how much he bought or sold. Maybe that 7 shares represents a considerable portion of his savings? No need to be a d*ck, even if you don't agree.

What is wrong with people.

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    What happened to the circuit breakers? Are they turned off? I heard they don't kick in til 7% is lost, true?
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    What is wrong with people.

Plenty, what do you want me to start with? image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

<< <i>What happened to the circuit breakers? Are they turned off? I heard they don't kick in til 7% is lost, true? >>

I read somewhere that the Nasdaq circuit breaker kicked in. QQQ was down over 17% and the bottom today.

I wasn't making fun of him/her.
    Circuit breakers? That's what the forum needs.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

That made me chuckle image
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought 7 shares of voo for $172/share today (that includes commission)...so I just got in and bought into a low cost S&P 500 etf at 12.2% off its all time highs. This will prove to be a smart decision in 5-10 years. >>

You better change your theory and make smart decisions today...
    Never buy for the long term you defined in your position unless, on 3 major time frames you have all indicators destroyed, and if buying prior to a turn, you must tranche in.. And those time frames aren't hourly of daily....

Funny though you have the same chant as the pm buyers over 25-35+ and 14-1500+, the chant never changes when the mistake is made, one just immediately becomes a long term investor... The chant remains the same...
    keceph `anah
    They will come back. They will come back.
  • USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

That made me chuckle image >>

Must confess...me too image
    Finest Coins and Relics
    Seven shares of VOO or one ounce of Lady Fortuna.
    It's easy to grin
    When your ship comes in
    And you've got the stock market beat.

But the man worthwhile
    Is the man who can smile
    When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

Judge Smails

<< <i>They will come back. They will come back. >>

Great call. Now thats fast trading!!

<< <i>

Great call. Now thats fast trading!! >>

Actually it was a takeoff of some old Bill Cosby line/s BLECCHH about footbaw!

They will kick off, they will kick off.image

<< <i>IJH @ 136.28 >>

Out at 137.2.

Was nervous making the trade but my model showed a buy. I'll take that 1% gain.

Mid caps are soft today, I think we see a negative day tomorrow and probably a negative close today isnt out of the question.

<< <i>

Great call. Now thats fast trading!! >>

You have to be more than fast in this market. Up big this morning....then giving everything back to close -215 pts. Fast wins just as quickly become fast losses if you turn your back.

I heard that today was the first time in 7 years the stock market rebounded this strongly, only to give it all back and close negative. 7 yrs? Maybe it is 2008 all over again. The lows of this week will probably be revisited.

Dow setting a new low every day.

<< <i>

<< <i>IJH @ 136.28 >>

Out at 137.2.

Was nervous making the trade but my model showed a buy. I'll take that 1% gain.

Mid caps are soft today, I think we see a negative day tomorrow and probably a negative close today isnt out of the question. >>

Well I thought we might see a negative day when I posted this with about an hour left in trading. I did not see a -200 close though. Thats another intra day swing of 650 pts. Look at below, here comes the markets.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wild intraday volatility mirrors both 2000 and 2008. Eight years later and here we are again. If history repeats itself, there will be some money to be made when the dust finally clears.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Sure, a lot of money will be made. But only after 401K's are decimated. That will make ready the way for banks and hedge funds to run it the other way....just like in 2008.
    What if 2008 was like 1977 and 2015 is like 1982?

I'm told there is a lot of money sloshing around out there and 3 billion people anxious to enter the 21st century.

<< <i>What if 2008 was like 1977 and 2015 is like 1982?

I'm told there is a lot of money sloshing around out there and 3 billion people anxious to enter the 21st century. >>

Sounds like a good recipe for the Indian and Chinese stock markets....not necessarily the USA or Europe. The money sloshing around is all digi-currencies in the cloud and in paper "things" (stocks, bonds, etc.). Will the bankers and politicians let J6P keep all of that? There is no pile of currency floating around. Nada. Much more trackable if its in the clouds. If it feels like 1982 to you, then load up on stocks right here and now. A 12 bagger is coming your way over the next 18 years just like before. I'm not looking past the next 5 years at this time. Seems to me it's time for stocks to take a 4-5 year breather sometime in the next 0-24 months. They still might have one more peak left in them (QE 4, 5, 6). Real estate has had a nice 52 year run. It certainly hasn't corrected enough in just 8 years (15% time fib?). Someone in this forum has told me this. RE cycles are 78 years long. Plenty of time to dip a lot more. How will a booming stock market fit with a declining RE market? Is it even possible? And the only way this bubble can be kept moving is to add more QE....ie inflate it further or invent a new process that transforms economies. If fusion or frictionless energy goes full scale and becomes economical then a new BOOm period may follow. One year at a time for me.