Home Precious Metals
Options

Authorized Purchasers for ASEs?

VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
Quick question: What does the Mint charge authorized purchasers for ASEs? Is it $2.00 over? $1.50 over?

I heard it before but can't recall the exact amount. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASE's as mentioned before is $2.00

5 oz ATB's, used to be also $2.00, but I believe it was slightly lowered a couple of years ago.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.
  • Options
    Like it or not, the premium pretty much persists over time. Nobody with a brain is going to sell a 200X for $18, when 200Ys are bringing $20. There really is no reason for it to go away. Sure you will find dealers/others who offer or refuse to even pay spot, but those are ore the exception than the rule. Some of the APs pay $1.50 over for monster box quantities and somewhat less for smaller amounts or non-pristine coins.
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I recall $2.50 but I was wrong.

LINK
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting how much the premium increases on the small gold coins... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting how much the premium increases on the small gold coins... Cheers, RickO >>

Because they are a PITA. It takes 10 times more effort to strike 10 1/10th AGEs than it does one 1 ounce AGE.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Interesting how much the premium increases on the small gold coins... Cheers, RickO >>

Because they are a PITA. It takes 10 times more effort to strike 10 1/10th AGEs than it does one 1 ounce AGE. >>

Not true of most manufacturing processes , I don't think. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Because they are a PITA. It takes 10 times more effort to strike 10 1/10th AGEs than it does one 1 ounce AGE. >>

Not true of most manufacturing processes , I don't think. image >>

If you strike 1 at a time, it's going to take up to 10 times longer to strike 100 ounces of each coin. I'm sure the planchet supplier likely has higher costs as well.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

If you strike 1 at a time, it's going to take up to 10 times longer to strike 100 ounces of each coin. I'm sure the planchet supplier likely has higher costs as well. >>

It would take a bit more time to roll the stock thinner.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

If you strike 1 at a time, it's going to take up to 10 times longer to strike 100 ounces of each coin. I'm sure the planchet supplier likely has higher costs as well. >>

It would take a bit more time to roll the stock thinner. >>

And longer to punch them.
  • Options

Sure but its not one little old man with a bad back tapping away with a hammer. Its an assembly line process setting up the machinery takes the same amount of work for 1 example or 10 .

The premium on fractionals is too high but the market is willing to pay it so why not charge it?

If it costs 2$ premium to strike as ASE then probably it costs 2$ to strike an AGE . Is the premium on an AGE 2$? image
  • Options

<< <i>Sure but its not one little old man with a bad back tapping away with a hammer. Its an assembly line process setting up the machinery takes the same amount of work for 1 example or 10 .

The premium on fractionals is too high but the market is willing to pay it so why not charge it?

If it costs 2$ premium to strike as ASE then probably it costs 2$ to strike an AGE . Is the premium on an AGE 2$? image >>

No, it's 3% on up to 9%. @ $1200 gold a 1 ounce AGE would have a $36 premium. It's higher for gold because the mintage is less so the overhead will be recovered over fewer coins.

The $2 per ASE covers ALL overhead costs from the people who take the orders to the jantiors and people who print those brochures, etc. as well as benefits, perks and other stuff.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sure but its not one little old man with a bad back tapping away with a hammer. Its an assembly line process setting up the machinery takes the same amount of work for 1 example or 10 .

If it costs 2$ premium to strike as ASE then probably it costs 2$ to strike an AGE . Is the premium on an AGE 2$? image >>

No, it's 3% on up to 9%. @ $1200 gold a 1 ounce AGE would have a $36 premium. It's higher for gold because the mintage is less so the overhead will be recovered over fewer coins.

The $2 per ASE covers ALL overhead costs from the people who take the orders to the jantiors and people who print those brochures, etc. as well as benefits, perks and other stuff. >>

I'll allow the mint 4 bucks per AGE then image , Fact is all of the premiums are just numbers pulled from someones rear end . None of them are particularly justifiable .

I think the premiums all represent seniorage rather than anything particular costs and are based on what the particular market will bear.

• Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

I work in manufacturing. We make bags of product with 3, 5 and 10lbs. The 3lbs are a pita. Although yes it's done by machine, humans punch in numbers to set the machine to make x amount, check the machine for snags as they happen and it just takes longer. More electricity, more time that machine can only be used for that project, more packaging, ect.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The $2 per ASE covers ALL overhead costs from the people who take the orders to the jantiors and people who print those brochures, etc. as well as benefits, perks and other stuff. >>

I'll allow the mint 4 bucks per AGE then image , Fact is all of the premiums are just numbers pulled from someones rear end . None of them are particularly justifiable .

I think the premiums all represent seniorage rather than anything particular costs and are based on what the particular market will bear. >>

Deepcoin used to be an auditor/accountant for the Mint. Ask him if those numbers are pulled from smoeone's arse.image