Home Precious Metals
Options

Best hiding places for PM's?

georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
When the economic collapse comes, and the banks close, yer PM's in the safe box are basically GONE. So what are the best options on where to hide the stuff?

I'm sure this has been covered here b4, but my thread searches are not turning up much. Just one thread saying old unused water pipes in your home...

Because of the bulk of silver, we are obviously thinking gold here.

And I realize folks here don't want to give up their hidey hole secrets, but please toss out some possibilities...

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to shorten bottom drawers depthwise and have stowage behind them. I have done things like that for customers.

In one house I had a customer who had a laundry chute that I narrowed down and from the cellar he could reach into the ceiling and access a hidden panel where he kept his gold in a lockbox.

Any place in a house where you see something from one side and have to go into another room to see the other side there is an option to lose 6 inches off a dimension.

For instance if you have 2 bedrooms with closets built between them you can lose depth in a way that is difficult for someone to notice. Its a good way to store long guns also.

Certain size bars lend themselves to this . For instance some 5 oz silver bars are about the same cross section as a 2x3 .

If you have a closet you can put a high shelf at the top above the level of the door jamb. Make the shelf out of 2x stock and use a router to make a 1 inch deep depression in the upper surface. You can put bars in the depression then put items on the shelf so that they are above the depression. Because the shelf is so high a person would not be able to see the top side of the shelf without a mirror.

Hardwood flooring in a closet floor is a good way to hide a flip up trapdoor with storage in the ceiling joist bay of the floor below. The tough part is finding unobtrusive hinges .

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    If it ever came down to that, I'd think of tossing the gold into a container of say, bean soup or fish head stew, and freeze it so that the gold isn't showing. Doubtful anyone is going to steal things out of the freezer and if they do, they'll go for things like steaks.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Anywhere hidden that that takes a little while to get to and is a pain in the butt to get to it. Thieves don't like to spend alot of time in one place unless 1) they absolutely KNOW you're gone for a certain amount of time or 2) they have you and your family hostage.

Best thing is to keep closed lips and stuff out of sight from wandering eyes of friends, housekeepers, yardmen, your kid's friends, etc.

Gold is your friend when concealing because it takes up WAY LESS real estate (overstating the obvious).

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    When the economic collapse comes, and the banks close…"

Won't happen so I am not worried.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its hidden ( and watch out for jesus image )
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plain sight.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Plain sight. >>

And next to the beretta.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anywhere hidden that that takes a little while to get to and is a pain in the butt to get to it.

Ouch! Probably a roll of 1/10 oz gold coins would be better for you with this idea of yours than the larger kind of coins or bars.

Is that avatar an image of someone trying to "retrieve" it? image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Plain sight. >>

And next to the beretta. >>

In my case, a GLOCK with 'happy stick' mags!

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a decoy safe full of nickel rolls. It's heavy.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grandma's casket.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Grandma's casket. >>

Brutal
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is an economic collapse and the banks close, your metals won't save you - and neither will mine.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I bet my lead slingers will be in high demandimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Under the paint is pure gold:

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Best hiding places for PM's?

Where you're the only one that knows where it's at.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

<< <i>If there is an economic collapse and the banks close, your metals won't save you - and neither will mine. >>

This is probably the truth. Lead will keep me alive til the bastids burn me out.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Search YouTube for
    Hiding places in your home
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "And next to the beretta." Yep, seems like they go together.
    "Probably a roll of 1/10 oz gold coins would be better for you..." Check, 3"x3/4"x3/4" give you 5 ozers in conveniently small denominations.

Collapse is doubtful but that doesn't mean things won't get weird.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I have about 220 ounces hidden in the shadowbox on the wall behind me....the big glass door on the front helps camo all those ingots
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Thought I read about police beginning to use a radar that sees through walls (x-ray vision) to locate metal objects (gun stashes). If that's the case, won't be long until crooks do the same to locate guns, safes, and PM's.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

…in the glove box.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been doing quite a lot of gardening this year. And planting quite a few trees.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

This guy put his in the bilge which was fine but you are supposed to sink in deeper water image

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If there is an economic collapse and the banks close, your metals won't save you - and neither will mine. >>

Assuming that's the major reason for hiding it.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anywhere hidden that that takes a little while to get to and is a pain in the butt to get to it.

Ouch! Probably a roll of 1/10 oz gold coins would be better for you with this idea of yours than the larger kind of coins or bars.

Is that avatar an image of someone trying to "retrieve" it? image >>

Yes. They get so disgusted they turn green and start flexing like the Hulk 'cuz they can't get your goodies.

That reminds me, a 1" drill bit will make a nice hole in the top of a door for you to drop in a roll of 1/10oz AGE's.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When the economic collapse comes, and the banks close…"

Won't happen so I am not worried. >>

This.

Farfetched hypotheticals aren't worth considering.
  • Options

<< <i>

This.

Farfetched hypotheticals aren't worth considering. >>

All you need is one idiot relative that gets hooked on prescription drugs and POOF everything will disappear.

In my case I had a nephew clean me out about 5 years ago. Now hes in jail but that doesn't get me my crap back.

This particular kid was from the branch of the family that is the most well to do Clean cut college grad with a wife and 2 kids . His parents had known he was a thief because he had ripped them off already but they never bothered to tell the rest of us. He "visited" 4 family members in a 2 day span and cleaned us all out .

When addiction hits a certain point they addict doesn't care about anything else.
  • Options

<< <i>

This.

After a month-long run on American banks, Franklin Delano Roosevelt proclaimed a Bank Holiday, beginning March 6, 1933, that shut down the banking system.

It's a pretty safe bet that at the first sign of a perceived economic catastrophe banking customers will line up to withdraw their funds. It's an equally safe bet that the banks will shut down to put a stop to the run on the banks.

We have already seen this play out in other countries that are experiencing economic uncertainty.

"But it can't happen here." image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Anywhere hidden that that takes a little while to get to and is a pain in the butt to get to it.

Is that avatar an image of someone trying to "retrieve" it? image >>

Yes. They get so disgusted they turn green and start flexing like the Hulk 'cuz they can't get your goodies.

That reminds me, a 1" drill bit will make a nice hole in the top of a door for you to drop in a roll of 1/10oz AGE's. >>

And that protects your goodies from fire?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

This.

After a month-long run on American banks, Franklin Delano Roosevelt proclaimed a Bank Holiday, beginning March 6, 1933, that shut down the banking system.

It's a pretty safe bet that at the first sign of a perceived economic catastrophe banking customers will line up to withdraw their funds. It's an equally safe bet that the banks will shut down to put a stop to the run on the banks.

We have already seen this play out in other countries that are experiencing economic uncertainty.

"But it can't happen here." image >>

Perhaps if the laws and guarantees we have in place today existed in 1933, the Depression would not have been so severe.

• Options

<< <i>Perhaps if the laws and guarantees we have in place today existed in 1933, the Depression would not have been so severe. >>

Such as the Glass-Steagall Act? image

The laws that were put in place to prevent such things have been systematically dismantled by the same people offering the guarantees.

In a banking crisis, FDIC will fold like a cheap suit. I wonder which 1% will get their money. image

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Perhaps if the laws and guarantees we have in place today existed in 1933, the Depression would not have been so severe. >>

Such as the Glass-Steagall Act? image

The laws that were put in place to prevent such things have been systematically dismantled by the same people offering the guarantees.

In a banking crisis, FDIC will fold like a cheap suit. I wonder which 1% will get their money. image >>

There have been no bank runs for 3 generations and FDIC will only fold if Congress does. Dont be such a worrywort. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

This.

All you need is one idiot relative that gets hooked on prescription drugs and POOF everything will disappear.

In my case I had a nephew clean me out about 5 years ago. Now hes in jail but that doesn't get me my crap back.

This particular kid was from the branch of the family that is the most well to do Clean cut college grad with a wife and 2 kids . His parents had known he was a thief because he had ripped them off already but they never bothered to tell the rest of us. He "visited" 4 family members in a 2 day span and cleaned us all out .

When addiction hits a certain point they addict doesn't care about anything else. >>

bronco you bring up a good point here….this scenario is much more likely to occur and a good reason to hide the PMs …and any prescription pain meds etc you might have.
    Addiction can hit any family anywhere anytime.
    I am sorry for your loss but thankful for you bringing this to our attention.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A squirrel hides more than one stash of nuts, which comes in useful, depending on the weather

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    snoop around this site: Google is your friend
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three feet down with a sealed 8" casing. The top of which is at least 6" below ground level. Inside of that a 6" diameter PVC tube with threaded ends. A tube within a tube.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Water. Is all you will need
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options

<< <i>A squirrel hides more than one stash of nuts, which comes in useful, depending on the weather >>

The squirrel usually forget most of the stashes.

• Options

<< <i>Three feet down with a sealed 8" casing. The top of which is at least 6" below ground level. Inside of that a 6" diameter PVC tube with threaded ends. A tube within a tube. >>

If it's under a concrete slab, be sure to put in smoe re-rod.image
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Question.....with all of this hiding....have you ever forgotten or worried that you'll forget a hiding spot? that has driven me crazy for a day.

in a new construction house, there weren't many hiding places...but i couldn't for the life of me find a stack of bills i quickly hid because some friends with friends we really didn't know were coming over.

also, once i found a nice stack of cash from a vegas trip i completely forgot about. now thats found money.

any backup plan for when senility/dementia kicks in?

so no more hiding for me..right to the bank. i would hate to lose more than i found.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tops of doors hollowed out worked well in prohibition...and there are many other options...the best are standard fixtures that artfully conceal spaces for storage. Some have been mentioned above, but there are a myriad of options. And, because of the 'addict relative' syndrome, it is best to have these options sooner than later. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

This.

Agreed, I wish I thought about the SHTF theories a Long time ago and made all the crazy money that has been made on marketing this and the most ridiculous one "the zombie apocalypse "
  • Options

<< <i>After a month-long run on American banks, Franklin Delano Roosevelt proclaimed a Bank Holiday, beginning March 6, 1933, that shut down the banking system.

"But it can't happen here." image >>

Derryb is my idol!
  • Options
    reddwingreddwing Posts: 137 ✭✭
    Isn't this the absolute truth. I have a friend who lost his dad recently. Apparently, he had thousands of dollars in $100 bills that he stored in books. Apparently, big sis had come by almost immediately after the father died and donated all the books to goodwill. She claimed to have never found his money stored between the pages but needless to say the son never saw any of that cash.
  • Options

<< <i>Isn't this the absolute truth. I have a friend who lost his dad recently. Apparently, he had thousands of dollars in $100 bills that he stored in books. Apparently, big sis had come by almost immediately after the father died and donated all the books to goodwill. She claimed to have never found his money stored between the pages but needless to say the son never saw any of that cash. >>

Happens quite frequently....one sibling makes a quick grab for the cash.
  • Options
    Anyone ever steal a potted plant?

• Options
    I once had a guy come in with a nasty old gallon paint can, we pried the top off
    and there were 5,000 silver dimes in there... Nice safe :-)
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rumor has it the old man never trusted the system or the banks. So he took all his PMs and buried them in an old abandoned silver mine. When the SHTF, he closed off the entrance and lived happily ever after until he died. No idea where that old mine shaft was.