Home Precious Metals
Options

UPDATE IN FIRST POST MORE PHOTOS: 1980 Krugerrand - How do I tell if this is real or not (Not in han

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
I received these photos from my nephew, he does constructions and found this in a home that they were tearing down.

There is more in the small box, some coins and pocket watches. He is going to get me some more photos.

I asked him for the weight and measurements of the coin. Not sure what else to do as I am no expert. What would be a fair price on this if it is determined to be real?

UPDATE 03/09/15: So my nephew works for a gentleman that buys homes, fixes them up and resells them (A flipper I believe they are called). He purchased a home that belonged to a hoarder and had my nephew do the dirty work of removing the... stuff. This stuff was found in a little wooden box buried in a crate full of crayola crayons...

More to follow.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just my opinion, but I would only pay melt for that.... looks 'handled' so definitely not high grade, and not U.S. so not as 'liquid' as AGE's....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Weight, diameter, thickness, specific gravity test.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears to be "real." In it's condition, I doubt you would get spot for it....It's ready for the melting pot.

FYI: The Krugerrand is 32.77 mm in diameter and 2.84 mm thick. The Krugerrand's actual weight is 1.0909 troy ounces (33.93 g)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Appears to be "real." In it's condition, I doubt you would get spot for it....It's ready for the melting pot.

FYI: The Krugerrand is 32.77 mm in diameter and 2.84 mm thick. The Krugerrand's actual weight is 1.0909 troy ounces (33.93 g) >>

Agree. Looks real. If the weight, diameter, and thickness meet specs, determining the specific gravity (which isn't easy without the proper equipment) is not necessary. It looks undamaged and a quick dip to clean it up and should make it worth at least melt retail value. A dealer will of course pay a little below melt.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks real to me !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

Its real, it has the Kruggerand 'Orange' look.

Man, I hope he dug around, when there is smoke there is fire, where there is one there is usually 2-3 or 4?
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll keep you updated if I find out more.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find!
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Great find. Looks real! Even at melt you're looking at $1,160+.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Crazy stuff there. How much gold did he find?
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't dip it, I like it as it is.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't dip it, I like it as it is. >>

That original light toning from the copper alloy does grow on you and certainly does give that coin character. I don't see any physical damage so there's no reason it can't be held as regular bullion in response to OPA who said "it's ready for the melting pot."

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Crazy stuff there. How much gold did he find? >>

Not fully sure, he mentioned a Morgan dollar and some Wheaties. He also mentioned six pocket watches (I'm more interested in these, I asked for photos). I'll ask him for the full story as well.

More to follow.

Ray
  • Options
    Update in first post.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That morgan looks fake. Everything else looks ok, but having one suspect piece should raise flags about everything.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Hey...a DDR Morgan!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>That morgan looks fake. Everything else looks ok, but having one suspect piece should raise flags about everything. >>

Agreed. One of my issues with this whole thing is they are in Massachusetts, I am not. We'll see.