Home Precious Metals
Options

How Is Your Personal Economy Doing?

Everyone is influenced in some way by the goings on around them. What are you observing that makes you think the way you do? And, do some introspection into your analysis.

Is your workplace doing better?

Are there new enterprises opening around you? Are there closings? Fire sales?

How about the attitudes of the people around you? Are they positive, or negative?

What positives to the macro economy do you see going forward?

What threats to the macro economy do you see?

What's are your visceral feelings about your finances going forward?

Have you been surprised by the economy around you lately in a good, or bad way?

Lastly, are you an open minded observer? Are you an honest broker? Or, are you a dyed in the wool ideolog that buys into whatever it is you want to hear?

Discuss...

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many questions to focus, ha.

Mixed bag here. Know a lot of folks scraping by that should be doing much better, a bunch that are doing well that I can't fathom how. The IT industry has been pretty solid since 2005 here. There was a big lul from about end of 2001 until 2004ish, got me for a good 4 years but things have been humming along since then.

I live in a Korea-town basically and those folks are absolutely crushing it - TONS of businesses consistantly opening up and staying open and supporting themselves. Honestly I haven't seen any kind of biz slowdown by me except for the traditional type things failing - Super Target by me closed, a Kroger, a Harry's Farmers Market, the old mall is barren, but the new stuff is thriving even if it is pushing the traditional 'American' biz out.

Was debating buying a restaraunt myself last year but took the offer I got at work for a while longer. Debating asking about a spot we're hiring for in Warsaw to jump ship for a while, same position as mine, just in Europe. I'm sure that won't happen, but doesn't hurt to ask.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Too many questions to focus, ha. >>

Just pick & choose.

<< <i>I live in a Korea-town basically and those folks are absolutely crushing it - TONS of businesses consistantly opening up and staying open and supporting themselves. Honestly I haven't seen any kind of biz slowdown by me except for the traditional type things failing - Super Target by me closed, a Kroger, a Harry's Farmers Market, the old mall is barren, but the new stuff is thriving even if it is pushing the traditional 'American' biz out.
    >>

Are those small fries "thriving" or throwing money into a bonfire? The big guys read the tea leaves, and get out of Dodge while the going is good. I can see Sears/KMart, JC Penny, and a few other names folding. My partnership was notified a couple of weeks ago that two big tenants would be walking away from their leases by end of Q1. Another smaller merchant informed me other day that they're throwing in the towel this Saturday after chasing them all month for rent. After hearing about the two big tenants leaving, I polled a few of our merchant / tenants that I'm friendly with as to how their holidays had gone. It was generally as bad as any can remember, and some have been retail business owners for 30+ years. Coin sales have been a notch below miserable. Consumer cyclicals don't seem to be doing well. Is that a harbinger of trend?
  • Options
    server hiccup.
  • Options
    server hiccup.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starting to see oil field workers show up in Florida for a career change.

<< <i>What threats to the macro economy do you see? >>

dollar strength

<< <i>What's are your visceral feelings about your finances going forward? >>

No problems, planned ahead.

<< <i>Lastly, are you an open minded observer? Are you an honest broker? Or, are you a dyed in the wool ideolog that buys into whatever it is you want to hear? >>

I buy into what I see happening. Doing so for years is what taught me to plan ahead - it has been to my benefit thus far, why quit now.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Steady here. When I talk to friends out of state the workers affiliated with government favored companies are doing well. Those on their own, not so well.
  • Options

<< <i>dollar strength >>

Huh? Which do you perceive as the threat - strong $ or a weak $?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Too many questions to focus, ha. >>

Just pick & choose.

<< <i>I live in a Korea-town basically and those folks are absolutely crushing it - TONS of businesses consistantly opening up and staying open and supporting themselves. Honestly I haven't seen any kind of biz slowdown by me except for the traditional type things failing - Super Target by me closed, a Kroger, a Harry's Farmers Market, the old mall is barren, but the new stuff is thriving even if it is pushing the traditional 'American' biz out.
    >>

Are those small fries "thriving" or throwing money into a bonfire? The big guys read the tea leaves, and get out of Dodge while the going is good. ? >>

They are thriving. I don't think I've seen much of anything new close down by me at all, maybe a restaraunt or salon or 2 but that's about it. Talking about an 8-10 year influx and run, population increasing and opening businesses to support and cater to themselves.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see much of a difference
    here !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>dollar strength >>

Huh? Which do you perceive as the threat - strong $ or a weak $? >>

a strong currency, especially if it is the strongest currency, makes it hard to sell in foreign markets and results in production cuts, earnings losses and job losses.'

There is a reason for the current "currency wars" - nations want a weak currency to strengthen their exports and their economy.

I do expect the FED to address the issue and to bang the dollar down.

Strong dollar a good thing or a bad thing?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My personal economy is doing just fine..... not concerned about anyone else at this time.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall: GREAT!!! (I could complain but no one would listen.)

The goods:
    Our move turned out to be better than we thought. I love the area, lots to do...within a mile of two surfing beaches. I can surf year round in trunks and rash guard. The locals are much nicer than I thought, no vibe in the water. Great church. My better half and little comrades love it too. My daughter loves her college in Sydney.

There's a new mall breaking ground a couple of miles away. Normally that would not be noteworthy but it'll be nice not to have to go 25 miles to Ala Moana or Pearl Ridge for shopping...terrible traffic.

Company is well...buying new airplanes, stock is at 52-week highs, hiring, love the international routes and plane...

Personally making most $$ ever...with room to grow.

Wife #1 still loves me. There is no wife #2...

The glitches:
    One albatross property on the Mainland that I hope to get rid of this Summer.

Currently working too much but I will remedy that soon.

There's a new rail system being built that will go from Kapolei (southwest side) to the airport and then onto Ala Moana. By the time it's finished to where I could use it to get to the airport I will be retired.

The goals:
    Surf more, work less.

Use more sunscreen.

• Options
  • Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    Things are OK. Just OK.

I bought my home in a relatively poor (up and coming) part of the city. Prices are somewhat stagnant. In the nicer neighborhoods, home prices are going through the roof. The only public high school in my neighborhood is rated 1/10. Only 10% of the kids going there can read (probably has a lot to do with the high immigrant population). But, I refuse to move to the suburbs.

The job is just OK. We had layoffs and I survived. The politics have started getting to me.

PM prices are stagnant, so not making money there either.

Looking into buying houses that I can rent out, but I seem to spend most of my money on double eagles. image

I live in a predominantly Mexican area. It's great because I love Mexican food, the people are amazingly friendly and I get to practice my Spanish skills. Businesses seem to be closing down a lot more lately. So, that tells me that the real economy is still in the hole. Only the ultra-rich seem to be making more money through stocks and other investments.

The dollar is strong. Relatively, we're doing much better than the world. We're still innovating. That's the great thing about America! We create this amazing environment where the best people from around the world want to come over and do amazing things! The Oculus Rift is a great example. When was the last time China came up with something so cool?

As for threats, it's the national debt. We need to be more conservative, fiscally. And we need to be more liberal on the social side, making this country a lot more attractive to immigrants. Let's also create a special visa for Eastern European women, please. : )

: )

References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options
    Lack of economic and real business activity in general. So not so great but I buy and sell numismatics and have no real complaints in that department. I'd rather be operating in the physical world and economy more.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    We live in a debt free economy here.. Everything is paid for including our home?. We have a small clock sales and repair business also. I myself work as a gear cutter, 35 years now . Busy there also

Life here is good
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I informed my cable provider and my utility companies that I have allocated a level funded budget for 2015. They were happy that I wasn't making any cuts this year.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Great responses so far - thanks.
    As a small business owner the threats I see largely come from government incompetence and overregulation. The government is a lot worse in many other countries, but for sure we could do a lot better to nurture business here. I also see a huge problem with the continued (relative) decline in American manufacturing and American exports as share of our GDP and world GDP. For some reason we seem to idolize bankers and hedge fund guys sitting in an office somewhere typing on a computer... and have given way too much authority to lawyers in this country. We need more manufacturing... it's absolutely a critical part of American innovation. Other than that, things are good. My business revenue was 3x bigger last year than the year before. So no complaints there. Still a great country even if the shine has gone off the rose a little bit.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    I am doing okay, but nothing to brag about.

I have learned to be grateful for what I do have.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am doing okay, but nothing to brag about.

I have learned to be grateful for what I do have. >>

^^Ditto^^

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monty Python's Flying Circus -
    "Four Yorkshiremen"

[ from the album Live At Drury Lane, 1974 ]

The Players: Michael Palin - First Yorkshireman;
    Graham Chapman - Second Yorkshireman;
    Terry Jones - Third Yorkshireman;
    Eric Idle - Fourth Yorkshireman;
    The Scene: Four well-dressed men are sitting together at a vacation resort.
    'Farewell to Thee' is played in the background on Hawaiian guitar.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto.
    SECOND YORKSHIREMAN: Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?
    THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: You're right there, Obadiah.
    FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.
    SECOND YORKSHIREMAN: A cup o' cold tea.
    FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Without milk or sugar.
    THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: Or tea.
    FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: In a cracked cup, an' all.
    FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
    SECOND YORKSHIREMAN: The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
    THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
    FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".
    FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Aye, 'e was right.
    FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: Aye, 'e was.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
    SECOND YORKSHIREMAN: House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
    THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!
    FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
    FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
    SECOND YORKSHIREMAN: We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
    THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
    FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: Cardboard box?
    THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: Aye.
    FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
    SECOND YORKSHIREMAN: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
    THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.
    FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
    FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

ALL: They won't!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything related to Government monies is doing well, but then about half our county is on government monies. Everyone else is too young , retired, too old. Then there is the private sector hanging in there.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very well done Baley!

That was a good bit of typing to post that script and it was much enjoyed by me.

LMAO

Cheers to Monty Python!
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Johnny,

They have a newfangled thing now

Copy and paste image

Re this economy this has been the first year since 2008 that I've been able to save money from operations and take two consecutive days off. It didn't kill me so I must be stronger.

I have a deep foreboding re our banking/tax-govt confiscation situation. My opinion is that besides stacking, a family should have gold set aside at least equal to your personal debt.1x-5x if possible.

I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel re the FSA gravy train.18 trillion and pulling away and no discussion on how to stop it.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    I think many people realize how much of this economy has shifted towards govt related contracts and control.

Out here that seems to be a large part of our economy. And we are importing the new underclass from across the border.

To see another side of our scary transfer of wealth do a search for TRANSPARENTCALIFORNIA.COM
    Click on PENSIONS. Eye opener.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    40% staff layed off this week and 35% paycuts for those remaining. Other than that, all is well.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>40% staff layed off this week and 35% paycuts for those remaining. Other than that, all is well. >>

Wow, very drastic, sorry to hear.
    What field/industry is this in?
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    To see another side of our scary transfer of wealth do a search for TRANSPARENTCALIFORNIA.COM
    Click on PENSIONS. Eye opener. >>

I wish they would post this info on billboards.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    WOW!

I want whoever negotiated those pensions on my team. image
  • Options

<< <i>WOW!

I want whoever negotiated those pensions on my team. image >>

The power (and control) of a union. image
    Those pensions had to be agreed upon by elected officials. Blame the officials and the unions who helped them get elected and helped them stay in office. You can also blame the government workforce who cast those votes. Greed works at all levels - everyone wants their piece of the meat.

• Options
    Scanned some of those pensions; seems anyone can get on the gravy train if they want, just go ahead and put in 20 to 30 (or in some cases 40+) years as a cop or fireman.
    Easy peasy image

• Options
    WOW is right on those pensions. And look at the salaries. Mostly UC coaches and MDs.

The origin of this fiasco will be found in a quietly signed bill in 1999 by a USMC Captain turned dem governer, recalled I might add, Mr. Gray Davis. We were fed the line that it would be insignificant. The "public servant" ahem can blend overtime, vacation time not taken and worked and comp time into their last three years wages and receive 90% after 30yrs.

It is, at present, mostly LACounty and SDCounty. To be able to get that much overtime boggles my mind. Pressingly I believe the FBI should be investigating.

I was at a gunshow in the bay area this last month and a couple of uniforms and myself were discussing this site. Even they could not fathom the amounts. But they did mention it will come in handy when compensation is renegotiated.
    If I have any say, within 12 months, everybody in CAL will know about it.

It is shenanigans like this that are helping to bring down this country.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Scanned some of those pensions; seems anyone can get on the gravy train if they want, just go ahead and put in 20 to 30 (or in some cases 40+) years as a cop or fireman.
    Easy peasy image >>

$500K-$1M per year in retirement for civil service? Mine will be a fraction of that after flying for 40 years in all clime and place. I need a better union. image

I can't even imagine to whom and what we pay out at the Federal level. All I know is that it adds up to trillions.
  • Options
    are those numbers per year??

• Options
    I read those numbers as the total pension the employee has "earned" , a part of which gets paid out monthly starting at retirement (I'll put earned in quotes because maybe they're lazy people) anyway, my dad has a pension for working 30 years at the same place and I think some here have pensions, and the annual payouts are no where near those numbers, but those numbers divided by 20 or 30 or 40 might make more sense. Anyone know if those are the yearly pensions? If so, I'm young enough to start at an academy

• Options
    Mr. Bailey,
    Those are YEARLY payouts. Mind boggling that a firefighter on an hourly basis can manipulate the system to $998,500 a year. These are hourly employees making that pension money.

I look at my brother in-law who majored in drama in college at Davis and is an appraiser in Santa Clara county hauling down almost 200k/yr. My college roommate at Cal making just shy of $500,000 at UCI. They haven't retired yet. OMG, their gravy train hasn't started in full force yet.

You can't put this on a billboard on the 101 or the 405 because that sign company would be out of biz if it took the advertising. But there are things we can do and I have just begun to fight.

BTW, this does not include double dippers or the feds.

I didn't go to Berkeley during the free speech movement with my eyes closed.
    This pension structure needs to be changed ASAP.

Have a nice day
  • Options

The best cure for high pensions is high pensions. image

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Overall: GREAT!!! (I could complain but no one would listen.)

The goods:
    Our move turned out to be better than we thought. I love the area, lots to do...within a mile of two surfing beaches. I can surf year round in trunks and rash guard. The locals are much nicer than I thought, no vibe in the water. Great church. My better half and little comrades love it too. My daughter loves her college in Sydney.

There's a new mall breaking ground a couple of miles away. Normally that would not be noteworthy but it'll be nice not to have to go 25 miles to Ala Moana or Pearl Ridge for shopping...terrible traffic.

Company is well...buying new airplanes, stock is at 52-week highs, hiring, love the international routes and plane...

Personally making most $$ ever...with room to grow.

Wife #1 still loves me. There is no wife #2...

The glitches:
    One albatross property on the Mainland that I hope to get rid of this Summer.

Currently working too much but I will remedy that soon.

There's a new rail system being built that will go from Kapolei (southwest side) to the airport and then onto Ala Moana. By the time it's finished to where I could use it to get to the airport I will be retired.

The goals:
    Surf more, work less.

Use more sunscreen.

image >>

I have to wear a wet suit here but not to bad as a 4/3 or 3/2 will do and a neoprene top in the summer. I have been cranking on eBay and a side dish on Amazon. I work more or less 7 days a week, I am saving for a house in a poor neighborhood in SD. I so hard to save solo with taxes and I drive a welfare like car too with ZERO debt...
  • Options
    In a previous lifetime I worked for the .gov. The system was set up to game, no question about it. Disgusts me honestly, that i even was in it.
  • Options
    Streeter, I call BS on that $998k pension for a worker bee firefighter. Maybe a battalion chief can pull down money like that.
    You either don't have all the info or I think you're misinterpreting the info. Show me with numbers how that figure is obtained.
    No fireman, not even in California is making hundreds of dollars an hour.

Edited to add. Forget the website, better yet....go right to the source. Go to city hall and obtain the salary of the highest paid hourly firefighter (it's all public record) then apply the formula you have. Is it best 3 years or last 3 years? Average out the 90%. I think you will find that nobody is flirting with a million dollar pension.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Streeter, I call BS on that $998k pension for a worker bee firefighter. Maybe a battalion chief can pull down money like that.
    You either don't have all the info or I think you're misinterpreting the info. Show me with numbers how that figure is obtained.

Edited to add. Forget the website, better yet....go right to the source. Go to city hall and obtain the salary of the highest paid hourly firefighter (it's all public record) then apply the formula you have. Is it best 3 years or last 3 years? Average out the 90%. I think you will find that nobody is flirting with a million dollar pension. >>

+1

There is no way any fireman or civil service employee is making even CLOSE to that kind of money on an annual pension payout. More bogus assertions by those with an agenda to feed anti-union rhetoric.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Streeter, I call BS on that $998k pension for a worker bee firefighter. Maybe a battalion chief can pull down money like that.

Edited to add. Forget the website, better yet....go right to the source. Go to city hall and obtain the salary of the highest paid hourly firefighter (it's all public record) then apply the formula you have. Is it best 3 years or last 3 years? Average out the 90%. I think you will find that nobody is flirting with a million dollar pension. >>

+1

There is no way any fireman or civil service employee is making even CLOSE to that kind of money on an annual pension payout. More bogus assertions by those with an agenda to feed anti-union rhetoric. >>

I hope you lads can back up your claim that I am anti union. Let's do a little checking, OK?
    Google Tony Varela, pension
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&amp;redir_esc=&amp;client=ms-android-boost-us&amp;source=android-launcher-search&amp;v=141400000&amp;qsubts=1422784984018&amp;q=tony+varela,+pension

He's #1 lads. Those #'s you see in TRANSPARENTCALIFORNIA.COM are correct to the cent. You can't even believe them , can you?

Have a nice day
  • Options
    Grote15 Downtown1974
    Why don't you read what Forbes Magazine wrote.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2014/02/07/hundreds-of-california-government-employees-are-paid-over-400000year/

Personally, I share your disbelief. But suspend it and look at the facts. TransparentCalifornia.com is not out to smear anyone,
    Just stating our city, state & county public personnel liabilities. I am offended by your assertions that I am not truthful. Your apology is neither expected nor needed because I understand you are both government employee shills.
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>Grote15 Downtown1974
    I am offended by your assertions that I am not truthful. Your apology is neither expected nor needed because I understand you are both government employee shills. >>

Why are you offended? Where did I call you anti union or untruthful? All Im saying is that the figure of $998k for that employee seems distorted. Unless you authored the web site, why are you bent out of shape?
    I told you how to get concrete numbers. I agree that are a lot of inflated salaries and pensions especially in those areas that were mentioned, but I just can't fathom an hourly paid fireman pulling in hundreds of dollars an hour.
    You said you're in the fight against it, good for you. Pension reform is picking up steam. Just don't rely on that web site to be your ace in the hole while you're in battle.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is zero chance of any fireman or cop making one million dollars a year in pension funds, absolutely zero chance.
  • Options

<< <i>There is zero chance of any fireman or cop making one million dollars a year in pension funds, absolutely zero chance. >>

Betting is technically illegal on this site Perkdog, but you would lose. That guy is an asst. battalion chief and he is
    $1500 short.
    I know five people on that site where the #'s are spot on. Every # for salaries and pension in CA is public information and has to be reported and the sad thing is-2014 isn't reported yet.

The University system is even worse off. The AD at UCLA is making $1,5000,000 a year and it is a second rate dept. My Alma mater dumped Tedford-who was abysmal BTW- and he has made over TWO MILLION Dollars each of the last two years. His economy is doing very good, thank you. And why should he work?

We have part time prison MD's in Kern County making over $1,000,000 a year. Their personal economy is good. And don't think for a second that their political affiliation is not vetted before they are hired.

You forum members who live out of state seem to not even be able to fathom those salaries and pensions on that site. Salaries and pensions made possible by ONE PARTY RULE give-aways in our state government. Coming to a state near you if you let it happen. BTW, I am neither pro or con unions or political affiliation.

I am for what is right. And our pension giveaways are not right.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Why am I sensing that the nay sayers are sports trading card collectors with that mentality and who haven't bothered to use a search engine and plug in TONY VARELA PENSION or see who the author is of TRANSPARENTCALIFORNIA.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The best cure for high pensions is high pensions. image >>

Indeed. Look what's happening in your state. Excessive, by definition, is unsustainable.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear